PDA

View Full Version : 1st timer changing out tranny NEED HELP.

whoisazuz
04-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Hey I have a 1989 honda accord lxi, MT, fuel injected and im swapping trannys out and wanted to know what to replace while I have it out and do I need any special tools to do the tranny job and if so where can I acquire them. Also as this being my first time changing out a tranny on my car by myself is it a good idea to do it by myself or should I get someone to do it.

vteckiller
04-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Both the input shaft seals for the axles. The rear main seal. Inspect the flywheel for cracks heat transfer warps etc. And also inspect the clutch. Imo, its 150$ for a new lifetime clutch kit and lifetime flywheel from AutoZone. If ya done do a clutch at least get a new clutch release bearing.

Dr_Snooz
04-14-2014, 06:55 PM
I had to buy a transmission jack to do mine. I couldn't get it to slide into the clutch otherwise. My advice is to have a helper, at least a better helper than I had, and take your time to wiggle the trans slowly home.

x2 on the rear main seal, but make sure it's a new seal and not one that's been sitting on a warehouse shelf for 30 years. An old one will leak and you'll be sad.

derolph
04-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Just wondering, does swapping a transmission require removal of engine or can this be done from underneath the car?

2000JDMsi
04-15-2014, 12:05 PM
These guys hooked you up already!

JohnBoy
04-15-2014, 06:38 PM
its quite simple. just make sure all the cables are off. I've had to change clutches twice and change the tranny it self once. I didn't have a cheery picker and did it from underneath by the time the tranny went out I was able to do it in two hours, and bench press the trans in place. pull both trans axels out and drop the trans mount then reassemble in the opposite order.

JohnBoy
04-15-2014, 06:39 PM
edit: cv axels

derolph
04-16-2014, 09:21 AM
These guys hooked you up already!Huh???

its quite simple. just make sure all the cables are off. I've had to change clutches twice and change the tranny it self once. I didn't have a cheery picker and did it from underneath by the time the tranny went out I was able to do it in two hours, and bench press the trans in place. pull both trans axels out and drop the trans mount then reassemble in the opposite order.Thanks.

Oldblueaccord
04-20-2014, 06:00 AM
Hey I have a 1989 honda accord lxi, MT, fuel injected and im swapping trannys out and wanted to know what to replace while I have it out and do I need any special tools to do the tranny job and if so where can I acquire them. Also as this being my first time changing out a tranny on my car by myself is it a good idea to do it by myself or should I get someone to do it.

A good jack and 2 jack stands is a must. The biggest problem is getting the large nut off the cv shaft to the hub. They can be stubborn and an air gun needed. I would make sure you can get this off before you get to deep into it.

Lifting and aligning the trans back into position alone is challeging as well.

JohnBoy
04-26-2014, 12:18 AM
A good jack and 2 jack stands is a must. The biggest problem is getting the large nut off the cv shaft to the hub. They can be stubborn and an air gun needed. I would make sure you can get this off before you get to deep into it.

Lifting and aligning the trans back into position alone is challeging as well.

every time I've ever done it I've never pull the cv axels off, just popped them out.

derolph
04-26-2014, 08:26 AM
every time I've ever done it I've never pull the cv axels off, just popped them out.How? Are you saying CV axles can be popped out of the transmission without doing anything to create space for them to pop out? I can't visualize this.

JohnBoy
04-26-2014, 08:29 PM
I didn't have a impact wrench at the time so I would just pop the lower ball joint.

Dr_Snooz
04-27-2014, 06:50 AM
^^^ This is my method as well and is chronicled somewhere in the manual. It saves a lot of time over wrestling with the spindle nuts.