PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Thermostat Questions

FederalSecurity
04-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Has anyone with a Second Generation Accord found any aftermarket thermostats for other cars that also fit our cars?

Also, which thermostat brands made for our cars does everyone prefer?

2geeSEi
04-21-2014, 09:43 AM
They use a fairly standard thermostat. What are you trying to accomplish? I just use ones with the OE recommended temp. I think the last one I got was Stant.

FederalSecurity
04-22-2014, 08:14 AM
They use a fairly standard thermostat. What are you trying to accomplish? I just use ones with the OE recommended temp. I think the last one I got was Stant.

Since I'm in the process of trying to repair the cooling system in the '85, I figure I'd start asking around to find out if

there are any upgrades that we can do to our cooling systems, including thermostats, radiators, fans, water pumps, etc.

FederalSecurity
04-22-2014, 08:22 AM
I've also been reading some posts on Prelude Power on lower temp thermostats vs. OEM thermostats and I'm not quite sure that

the lower temp thermostats would be of any benefit.

160 degree thermostat - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums (http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188492)

FederalSecurity
04-22-2014, 08:48 AM
The issue that I'm having is that the engine is getting way too hot, and I've noticed that the radiator fan isn't turning

on. I pulled the radiator and fan out and hooked the fan motor up to the battery with jumper wires and the fan motor works

just fine. Tonight when I get home from work I hope there's enough sunlight left to figure out how to test the fan relay

circuits and the relay itself.

2geeSEi
04-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Don't do the lower temp thermostat. All the thermostat dictates is the minimum temp, not the max. With the fans, you may have a problem with the temperature switch on the radiator, or the fan relay. The easiest way to find whether the problem is with the temp switch is to unplug it and jump the terminals in the connector. If the fan turns on, replace the switch. Also, the 1985 USDM service manual is here: Honda service manuals - The 3geez Wiki (http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Honda_service_manuals). Go to the Heating & Air Conditioning section and there are procedures for testing the relay (if you have a 82-83, your engine is different, but the procedures should be similar). I would also give the whole system a good flush, take the radiator out, hold it upside-down and flush water through the outlet until you don't see any flakes of anything coming out of the filler neck or inlet.

2geeSEi
04-22-2014, 09:28 AM
BTW, when working properly, the cooling systems in these are more than adequate, even in 105-110 temps.

FederalSecurity
04-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Don't do the lower temp thermostat. All the thermostat dictates is the minimum temp, not the max. With the fans, you may have a problem with the temperature switch on the radiator, or the fan relay. The easiest way to find whether the problem is with the temp switch is to unplug it and jump the terminals in the connector. If the fan turns on, replace the switch. Also, the 1985 USDM service manual is here: Honda service manuals - The 3geez Wiki (http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Honda_service_manuals). Go to the Heating & Air Conditioning section and there are procedures for testing the relay (if you have a 82-83, your engine is different, but the procedures should be similar). I would also give the whole system a good flush, take the radiator out, hold it upside-down and flush water through the outlet until you don't see any flakes of anything coming out of the filler neck or inlet.

I'll test the temperature switch tonight and let you know what happens. As far as flushing the system goes, the first thing I tried was

draining the old coolant, flushing the entire system, filling the system with new coolant, and bleeding any air in the system hoping it

would be an easy fix. No such luck. Thanks for the responses on this, 2geeSEi.

FederalSecurity
04-23-2014, 08:04 PM
I tested the relay last night and determined that the relay is good. I had plans to test the temperature switch last night, but ended up

changing the ATF in the '88 Accord instead. Tonight I jumped the temperature switch connector and the fans came to life. I have

another temperature switch laying around in the shop and will use that one tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again, 2geeSEi.

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2014, 06:15 PM
The easiest way to find whether the problem is with the temp switch is to unplug it and jump the terminals in the connector. If the fan turns on, replace the switch.

Assuming that the coolant is at or above the temp where the fans should come on, this is a good test.

FederalSecurity
04-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Assuming that the coolant is at or above the temp where the fans should come on, this is a good test.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer these older vehicles to the "over-computerized" newer vehicles. It's just so much easier working on them yourself.