PDA

View Full Version : stalling!

Neuspeed007
11-28-2002, 08:31 PM
:crying: :help: Alright, i turned on my car tonight, and the cars RPM'S go up to about 2000 and I let it warm up (for about 5 min) to where my temp. gauge was in-between H and C. (normal) Now usually when I see that it is warmed up, I tap the accel. pedel to disengage the fast idle so it goes to its normal idle, but the RPM'S just dropped below 1000 almost to 0 and the engine started shaking, But then the RPM'S go up to about 1500 and then it drops below 1000 again and shakes, then it just goes low enough that it stalls the car. I turn it on again and it goes up to about 2000 then just SKY ROCKETS to 0 and stalls again. The only way I got home tonight was by putting the car in nutral and accelerating then putting it into drive. I looked in my garfield book, and it said that " if the car starts to stall, dont try and hide it by adjusting the idle speed, look for the problem" so I have no clue as to were to look. It migt be the carb. because yesterday I put some degreaser on the carb. and cleaned it. any suggestions???????
it also seems to drop below 1000 when im braking to a stop.

i need some help ASAP cause I want to fix it, I have to be to work tomorrow by 9!

much thx!

nick-

A20A1
11-29-2002, 12:44 AM
Possibly a vacuum leak...
to check for one use a small localized spray of carb cleaner. the rpms should go up if a vacuum leak has sucked in the carb cleaner.

wait a few seconds before each spray, and try not to over spray into the barrels.

if it's not a leak then check the filters or it could be a bad battery connection, ground wire.

Neuspeed007
11-29-2002, 12:47 AM
actually i lookd at the pcv valve, and the hose that is connected to it, is splitting on both sides. i think air is getting out. think that could be a factor?? either way im getting it replaced tomorrow. But where can iget that cleaner?
thx

A20A1
11-29-2002, 12:51 AM
oh yeah... i don't know why the PCV seems to always slip my mind... But yeah the PCV runs off manifold vacuum so if the valve is loose or the hose is loose then you'll car will stall.

A20A1
11-29-2002, 12:54 AM
Umm to check the PCV valve pull it straight out carefully and see if it rattles freely... if you nottice it's not rattling well and seems to get stuck then replace it.

as for the carb cleaner... it's at most auto parts stores or wal-mart.

Neuspeed007
11-29-2002, 01:06 AM
actually i just bought a new PCV valve yesterday, its just that damn hose is not very flexible and i think the hose is just so old that it split when we put the new valve in. but ill look into that cleaner, cause it sounds like im gonna need it if i want to rebuild my carb. cause im thinkin about doin that.

Neuspeed007
11-29-2002, 01:09 AM
thx a2a1, ill keep ya posted on my results

Greg
12-02-2002, 04:03 PM
The PCV hose is pretty fat. I think at cheap auto parts stores (or at least the one I go to) they sell hoses under the category of "emissions hoses" that are larger in diameter than what they sell as "vacuum hoses". I'd take the hose off, take it to the store with you, and try to exchange it there. You'll save a lot of money if you can get a generic hose that fits over a honda part.

But it has that nasty right angle bend, and you want to make sure that whatever hose you put on there won't kink from the bend. I'd try to bend the hoses at the auto parts place before you buy them to make sure that they don't kink when bent that much. And you might as well bring your PCV along too to make sure that whatever hose you buy will give you a snug fit.

But the PCV opening is HUGE and if your PCV hose leaks then you will get a NASTY vacuum leak that will TOTALLY kill your car. If it leaks then it's almost definitely the problem.

Neuspeed007
12-02-2002, 05:05 PM
ok ok, so i replaced the hose off the pcv valve, and now its working just fine, the idle is controled now, and the rpms are where they should be.

mission accomplished, late-

89AccordLXI666
12-05-2002, 08:47 PM
Just go to your local auto store or Wal-Mart and get some Carberator cleaner and spray it in the carb, that sure might help.... ;)

89AccordLXI666
12-05-2002, 08:49 PM
opppps sorry... your problem is solved.... my bad man.... but hey keep the carb cleaner in mind, for future refrence, U might need it some day... Lataz bro

Neuspeed007
12-05-2002, 08:55 PM
ya i cleaned it not to long ago with some hehe thx bro
late