PDA

View Full Version : Here a several links to several wheel weight web sites

Jims 86LXI HB
11-28-2002, 08:36 PM
Ok, I've found several of these web sites of the last 6 months that list wheel weight's. They all list some oem wheel weight's and of course aftermarket wheel weight's. If you do not find the make and model that your looking for at one site, go to the next, and the next, ect until you've tried them all. BTW, if you see a site that list's your desired rim weight in 16" and then 18" with no 17" weight. It's pretty safe to say the 17" is half the weight differance between the 16" and 18".

www.superhonda.com/tech/wheel_weights.html

www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel22.shtml

www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html

www.wheelweights.net/

Here's a link to konig's site. You can find out the weight of most all the wheels they have.

http://www.konigwheels.com/catalog_list.cfm?categoryid=1

And this site is usefull if you want to find out something specific. Like who makes 16" 4x100mm with 45mm offset

www.wheelspecs.com

ACCORD EX
12-03-2002, 03:08 AM
i 've added the links to the links faq ! :)

MIKE

AZmike
12-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
Well since they are pretty much the same weight as oem and the same rolling diameter, their should be no differance.

I'm not too sure Jim. When considering rotating mass the radius is very important. The larger wheels with the same weight will have a greater moment of inertia (meausre of rotating mass) since much of the weight as at a larger radius than on the smaller diameter wheel. You'd need more sidewall, but since the cylinder (sort of) of aluminum that the tire sits on is smaller, you'd probably still come out ahead.

It's not a huge difference, but every little bit helps.

Versanick
12-29-2002, 11:08 PM
Weight and total radius aren't everything. Much of the handling and acceleration has to do with exactly where (on the radius) the most of the mass lies. For instance, it is safe to say that on a 17" wheel with a number of spokes, most of that 15.9 lbs (or hwoever much weight) lies toward the outside of the wheel, or around 8.5" from the center. On a factory 13" wheel, even if it weighs 15lbs, most of its weight is within the innermost 6", and it WILL have an impact on acceleration and handling. Consider wielding a baseball bat for a moment. You could hold the bat at the handle end with the heavy end being swung. You'll swing that bat pretty hard, but it'll take you 1/3 of a second to get it up to a good swinging speed, because your arms and body can only put a certain amount of torque to it. Now flip that bad upside down, and hold the fat end with your hands. Now swing that bat, and see how much easier it is to get the bat swinging at the same speed. Probably half that time. It's a lot easier if most of the weight lies on the inner part of the radius, when considering turning a tire. Radius and weight DO have HUGE impacts on performance... but also consider WHERE on the weight lies. Especially on something like a 19" rim... even if it weighs 15 lbs (somehow), it will be harder to spin.

whee

AZmike
01-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Versanick, I tried explaining the same thing less in-depth. It's too bad wheel manufacturers don't list the moment of inertia for their wheels also.

Why the :huh: face Jim? All he was saying is that two wheels of the same mass will affect acceleration differently depending on where the mass is located on the wheel. Having more mass on the rim will make the wheel harder to get spinning compared with having more of the mass near the center of the wheel.

EDIT: fixed typo

1987HondaAccord
01-19-2003, 01:41 PM
i was just joking. I didnt really hit my pc... hard... its an interesting concept to think about. does it mean that to gain performance it is a good idea to have more tire and less rim because metal is heavier than rubber and air?

AZmike
01-20-2003, 02:46 PM
That would probably improve acceleration but all that extra sidewall would hurt your turning response (there would be more sidewall flex before your car actually starts to turn). For example, dragsters have lots of sidewall on their rear tires (acceleration focused) and touring cars have larger wheels and much shorter sidewalls (handling focused).

Jims 86LXI HB
02-01-2003, 01:53 AM
I cleaned up this thread, trying to keep it focused on the topic.

Trick87Accord
03-10-2005, 10:20 AM
I am looking at getting some 17x7 from wheelmax and it doesn't post how much they weigh and i was just wondering what is a good weight to be at and what i need and what i dont need.
-Trick-

FyreDaug
05-12-2005, 07:11 AM
Keep in mind tires weigh quite a bit too, so if you are measuring mass/inertia and stuff, check out the weight of the tires you wanna wrap them in.