PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting 88 accord DX clutch/tranny issue

Boardbuilder
04-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Hello. Doing some troubleshooting on my 88 accord DX 5-speed. Found some really good info here in the forums but I'm looking for a little more experienced insight before I start pulling wrenches.

I have a nasty grinding/rattling noise when Idling, which goes away completely when i depress the clutch pedal. Thinking input shaft bearing is shot. When I put it in gear and accelerate, there is a "grrr" noise that is more pronounced as I give it gas. Does not make this noise if I have the clutch pedal depressed and I am coasting. Clutch seems to work fine, no problem getting in or out of any gear. I drained the tranny fluid and it came out clean. Other than these noises, car drives great.

I'm not ready to tackle a tranny rebuild just yet, so I'm looking at getting a rebuilt tranny and doing the clutch while it's pulled apart. This will be my first time pulling a tranny, so just wondering with the noises I described whether I should drop the cash for a rebuilt tranny, or just get the bearing and go for it.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Oldblueaccord
04-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Really until you pull it you wont know. Could just be the throw out bearing.

Dr_Snooz
04-18-2014, 07:35 PM
x2 on throwout bearing. Also check the oil level in the trans. I probably wouldn't replace a trans just for a noise myself, but it's your car. Wait for it to get bad enough that you can find it and confirm the trans diagnosis.

vteckiller
04-19-2014, 01:11 AM
Id start simple. Check the adjustment on the clutch cable arm, you when you adjust it. Move the arm tell you hear it hit the pressure plate. Snug it to that point where you can pull up hear it go clunk and stop pull. Little movement as possible, get Inside and push the clutch pedal to seat the newly adjusted clutch. So basically like almost on the pressure plate.. These cars trans are super simple they just a little heavy alone. I've done mine twice alone. In a matter of a few hrs. Just pull it if your fluid lvl is good. And clutch cable adjustment is good. Don't take but a cpl hrs. No special tools needed.

Boardbuilder
04-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the insights. Really do appreciate the input.

I was thinking input shaft bearing due to a legendary argument between two guys at a job I was on..."If the noise is there with pedal depressed it's the throwout bearing, if not it's input shaft bearing!" "No, you got it backwards!" Turned out it was the input shaft bearing, and there was a whole lot of gloating.

I'll finally have time to tear into the tranny this coming weekend, and recruited some competent help with the job.

Oldblueaccord
04-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Id start simple. Check the adjustment on the clutch cable arm, you when you adjust it. Move the arm tell you hear it hit the pressure plate. Snug it to that point where you can pull up hear it go clunk and stop pull. Little movement as possible, get Inside and push the clutch pedal to seat the newly adjusted clutch. So basically like almost on the pressure plate.. These cars trans are super simple they just a little heavy alone. I've done mine twice alone. In a matter of a few hrs. Just pull it if your fluid lvl is good. And clutch cable adjustment is good. Don't take but a cpl hrs. No special tools needed.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/technical/79353-transmission-grenaded-2.html#post1113437

sir on post #41 you said it took you 6 hours. Lets be fair for someone that doesn't work on cars all day 2 hour sounds a little off.

Dr_Snooz
04-21-2014, 07:07 PM
"If the noise is there with pedal depressed it's the throwout bearing, if not it's input shaft bearing!"

That is correct, except that on these cars, the throwout bearing engages when the pedal is up. Let us know what you find.

Oldblueaccord
04-22-2014, 06:46 AM
That is correct, except that on these cars, the throwout bearing engages when the pedal is up. Let us know what you find.

well for me that's on all cars. I'm taking my Challenger in for the same Thursday. Noise with the clutch out in neutral. Id say they will tell me its normal buts its as loud as my 1975 pickup and I know its bad its original.

Boardbuilder
04-22-2014, 09:24 AM

Good to know. I'll report what I figure out. Looking forward to learning something new.

Boardbuilder
04-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Pulled the tranny thanks to some great help from my dad, a retired caterpillar mechanic.

Throwout bearing was shot. Clutch disc was shot. It was stuck pretty good to the main shaft. Flywheel somehow was ok but put in a new one anyway. Also replaced the rear crankshaft seal while we were in there.

Tranny seems to be in good shape. No need for rebuild. My dad said it looks like somebody rebuilt a wrecker tranny, put in a new flywheel, but didn't replace the clutch assembly, or possibly used a similar but different clutch disc as it fit poorly compared to the new one.

Noises gone, case closed.

vteckiller
04-28-2014, 02:43 PM
First time doing it yes took me a little while. Second time replacing the clutch I should have when my first trans grenade on me didn't take me no time. So in all fairness experience makes it go faster. You got me.. :D

Dr_Snooz
04-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Glad you got it fixed.

Boardbuilder
04-29-2014, 08:33 AM
For a bit there I thought we'd never get that tranny back in. We fiddled with it for almost 5 hours before it finally went. It was the first FF motor my dad ever dealt with, but it was pretty amazing to see how he knew where everything was and what to do, and consulted the manual only for torque specs.

g.frost
04-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Always adjust to keep an inch or so of free play in the clutch pedal when released so the throwout bearing fully disengages. If the throwout rides on the clutch it will wear quickly.

Dr_Snooz
04-29-2014, 06:40 PM
For a bit there I thought we'd never get that tranny back in. We fiddled with it for almost 5 hours before it finally went. It was the first FF motor my dad ever dealt with, but it was pretty amazing to see how he knew where everything was and what to do, and consulted the manual only for torque specs.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun getting mine seated on the input shaft. I had to go buy a trans jack to get it done.