PDA

View Full Version : accord sei amp

islander63
04-18-2014, 08:33 AM
is there a direct fit replacement amplifier for my 1989 Accord SE-i

dieselgus
04-21-2014, 12:07 PM
For the Bose (Buy Other Sound Equipment) system? Sadly no. Generally the Bose stuff is designed on a per vehicle basis, so the system that is in an Accord will be different from that of a Bose system in an Acura TL.

Best bet is find another amp from the wrecker. Or get crafty and turf out the OEM amp and wire in an aftermarket multi channel amp in its place and hope that the 25 year old speakers hold up. Or option #3, replace speakers, replace head unit, do a wired bypass of the amp and call it good. Option #3 is probably the most cost effective and easiest, drop in new 6" all the way around, deck, and a little wiring and done.

Vanilla Sky
05-12-2014, 01:07 PM
About the only thing you can do is replace it with a working one or have it repaired. I've wanted to get my hands on one of these to see if I can find the faults in them, but I haven't found one, and no one seems willing to donate one to science.

conozo
06-25-2014, 03:16 AM
About the only thing you can do is replace it with a working one or have it repaired. I've wanted to get my hands on one of these to see if I can find the faults in them, but I haven't found one, and no one seems willing to donate one to science.

I have one i found in the junk yard. Not sure if it works or not but am willing to donate.

lostforawhile
06-25-2014, 03:11 PM
you have the option of keeping your steering wheel controls working with an aftermarket stereo, you use an SWi-X unit, it reads the resistance of the buttons in the wheel, and you program it using the remote control from the aftermarket stereo, you can assign the buttons to control whatever function you want. it copies the infrared signals from the remote and mimics then when you push the steering wheel buttons

gp02a0083
06-27-2014, 09:04 AM
he wasn't asking about replacing the head unit. As mentioned by dieselgus , you have a few options here. I would suggest just splicing in an aftermarket amplifier and adding new speaker to replace the 20+ y/o ones/ IIRC its a white/green and a yellow /red wire to the amplifier and the speaker wires, shouldn't be hard to splice

Vanilla Sky
06-28-2014, 09:03 AM
I believe the Bose amp is a wee bit different. Once I have one in my hands, I can confirm my suspicions.

obd0driver
06-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I have two for sale. Pm me.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/29/syhe4apu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/29/sysumave.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/29/u6ebe2y8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/29/urygave4.jpg

Vanilla Sky
06-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Sure is interesting to see the big differences in the amps. The one on the right has a TON of shielding cans, while the one on the left only has that one. Completely different internal construction. This is why I need both of the Bose amps for testing and prototyping.

obd0driver
06-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing

Vanilla Sky
06-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Well, I'll have one on the way soon. That just means I need to find someone that can donate the other to science.

2drSE-i
06-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Well, I'll have one on the way soon. That just means I need to find someone that can donate the other to science.

i have no idea which one i have, but i'd be willing to donate to science, if you are willing to pay shipping :)

You still working on coupe tails?

2ndGenGuy
07-03-2014, 08:59 AM
The outputs on the SEi Bose deck are just regular line outs. I've hooked the outputs into the line in on my laptop before. There's no reason you couldn't cut the wires to the original amp and hook them to an aftermarket amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRQ8vuWKlbI

Vanilla Sky
07-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Except that I believe the Bose amp to only be 3 channels, with the rear speakers being one channel with time delay with a fairly low crossover point, used only for rear fill.

That would explain why the front speakers are extended range drivers in ported enclosures and the rears are just plain paper 6x9s in the rear deck.

Dr_Snooz
07-05-2014, 07:30 PM
That sounds like classic Bose. Do some gimmicky thing with a bunch of crap. Then charge a fortune for it.

Vanilla Sky
07-05-2014, 07:45 PM
That's not really a gimmick. It's a way to simulate a "voiceless" channel for rear fill. Changing the inputs around could also leave one with a center channel, then both stereo channels combined and crossed over for your subwoofer. That's how the classic Dolby Pro Logic worked, which was an extension of quadraphonic stereo.

My stereo build is going to be set up in a similar fashion, so I'm *really* interested in the Bose stuff. Mine will use a digital sound processor to handle the heavy lifting, though.

Vanilla Sky
07-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Additionally, I think most of you guys would enjoy the sound of the Bose setup if it is indeed set up that way. The front drivers might be similar to what they used in their big home speakers, which extended fairly high. They did need a lot of EQ for bass, even the big ones. With a car, they can simply offload the bass duty to the pair of sensitive paper 6x9 speakers and provide proper rear fill.

If you've ever seen one of the Bose Acoustomass systems, you'd be somewhat familiar with this arrangement, since they use 2 pairs of cubes with 3" drivers for each channel, but let the bandpass subwoofer handle everything from about 150Mhz down, which makes locating the Acoustomass sub in a Bose system at home critical.