PDA

View Full Version : overheating

wprocomp
11-29-2002, 03:14 PM
Does anybody have problems with there car over heating while idiling or at a stop? My car costantly overheats and it's annoying. I've been told its my thermostat,but when it does get hot both fans kick on. So I have to run my A/C when I stop to get both fans going. Any ideas?:burn:

AZmike
11-29-2002, 03:18 PM
Do the fans make much of a difference? If the thermostat is really stuck shut the fans wouldn't do a lot.

The thermostat is cheap, it wouldn't hurt to replace it and go from there. Don' forget to pickup a new gasket at the same time.

wprocomp
11-29-2002, 03:23 PM
Yeah the gauge gets near the red then the fans kick on and it goes back to norm. And when the A/C is on it is much better.

79EK1
11-29-2002, 03:30 PM
Don't forget to check the belt tension on the water pump. If it's too loose, the pump won't circulate the coolant enough. If the belt needs adjustment, don't overtighten it. The pump bearing will wear out faster. If you haven't flushed your radiator in the last two years, you may want to do that, as well. A lot of scale can build up, clogging the radiator core. My experience has been that nothing kills a Honda engine faster than overheating. It can lead to a blown head gasket and cause lots of damage.

Good luck.

wprocomp
11-29-2002, 03:39 PM
Well I just put a rad in because I wrecked my car:crying: I had to replace my whole core support,left fender,bumper cover,hood,headlight assembly and was just shy of $1200.00 worth of parts.I saved alot on labor because I did the work myself,but the core support was a pain in the ass to remove and install! I am going to check out the water pump today,good thought:)

anchovies
11-29-2002, 07:15 PM
Did you use aftermarket sensors? That might do it.

flamed89
11-29-2002, 07:27 PM
i'm having the same problem. my dad seems to think that the water pump is worn out not leaking but just that it won't pump the water through the motor anymore. so i would say check that first.