PDA

View Full Version : Busted The Mofo Radiator!!!

HondaBoy
11-29-2002, 05:18 PM
every time my one friend rides wit me something seems to go wrong!!! well actualy first he sat in the car and i realy think it was his sister cuz she was touchin all my controls. she broke the on/off switch for the windows. i fixed that in less than 30 mins. but then i was drivin along and i slow down for the red light. i see smoke bellowing from under my hood. i knew it was the radiator cuz it smelled like boiling antifreeze. this is like the second time in less than a year that damn radiator has done this shit. well i thought the worst, i realy thought i had blown the engine or something. i was right near the local honda dealership. although they will charge the hell out of ya, i thought it would be best to go there. i didnt make it though. the engine was makin a clinkin sound like when its over heating. well it died at the red light. i only would have had to go about 5 more blocks and then i would be at the dealership. a group of people helped me push the car into a gas station that was right there. i called my grandma and then about an hour or so later we had it towed to my house. i didnt realy want to do anymore damage or something to it by driving it more. i cost $45 to get it towed across town. i forgot to mention i was in a bad part of town when it broke down. i wasnt about to leave it there over night.

HondaBoy
11-29-2002, 05:45 PM
oh ya i forgot to metion the car still starts now. its not knocking or smoking. it runs like nothing happened. i can usually tell if something is wrong by smelling the exhaust and it was normal.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
11-29-2002, 05:46 PM
i suggest you keep his A$$ out of your car. lol Sorry to hear about your radiator at least it wasn't anything worse. Mine just overheated on my last weekend i thought i had blown the enigen to but i forgot to check how much water was in my radiator it was only like 2 gallons. " i as wonderin why my car warmed up so quick"lol

HondaBoy
11-29-2002, 05:52 PM
that fat bitch sister of his ripped my seat too.

A20A1
11-29-2002, 08:40 PM
make sure the thermostat and thermal switch and fans are working. also check to make sure you water pump is not leaking.

HondaBoy
11-29-2002, 09:15 PM
well i know the fans arent working. well they didnt come on when it got hot. also the temp gauge didnt go very high up. that is one reason i didnt thihk to stop and turn the engine off. this kinda happened before. last time i hit a pot hole realy hard. this time i was turning aroung in someones driveway. when i backed out the curb was so high, the front end came down hard. im thinkin maybe its a hose or something. will a hard hit mess up the thermostat? that is one thing that was wrong last time.

AccordEpicenter
12-03-2002, 10:09 PM
it usually has to sit a long time idling before the fans will come on. Its easy to blow headgaskets and stuff when you overheat, and as for his fat sister, id keep her chump ass out my car, or threaten to break her fat hands if she touched anything

MoonScryer
12-04-2002, 05:01 PM
It's also possible you broke the temp thing at the BOTTOM of the radiator. There is a sensor down on the passanger side of the radiator at the bottom; it it's broke, the fans won't come on. Pull the lower protection plastic thing (ya know the piece across the whole lower front of the engine), and look in there. If it's messed up, fix it with a new plug from the junkyard. If it's not, condiser replacing the sensor anyway, could be dead.

HondaBoy
12-04-2002, 08:59 PM
i still havnt gotten a chance to look at my car. its been sittin there since it broke. i have just found out that only 1 of the radiators have been replaced. there is apparently 2 different radiators? that is wut ive been told. neway i guess the one that cools the tranny hasnt been replaced. i think that is wut that other one is. well when i hit the curb, it hit the radiator support and i only know this cuz well i did look there. it was more scratched than last time. i think im going to make me a skid plate like they have on off road trucks. i havent put that plastic "skid plate" back on since last time it got messed up. i think maybe if i fabricate one out of something like diamond plate steel or something that isnt going to bend too easyly that would help. this weekend i am going to work on it and hopefully i wont have to do alot of shit for people. thats wut keeps me from doing stuff with the car.

MoonScryer
12-05-2002, 06:42 AM
Road signs make good skid plates. Just find someone to cut one to the shape you desire.

Oh, and there is only one radiator; the tranny cooler is inside of the normal radiator.

HondaBoy
12-06-2002, 10:17 PM
ok well i since it was friday i looked at the radiator. i was filling the radiator up with water and it started leaking realy bad from a hose. so all this time i could have just gotten a new hose. i looked at it and it was crunchy feeling. so that told me it was bad. i went and bought a new one and it was about $24. i think that was a little too much but at least it is direct fit. it was expensive because it was preformed to fit just like stock. well good as new. i drove around for about 2 hours and it was running just fine. i probley still need to get some new spark plugs and wires. i want bosch platinum 1 tip and the 9.3mm wires they make specificly for the 3gee. the wires are like $70 though:(

BMS
12-06-2002, 10:30 PM
My friend had an old '62 Ford pickup, and every time he went wheeling in it, and I mean EVERY time, he jacked up the radiator. The first time his motor mounts broke and the fan put a fatty hole in the radiator. The second time the mounts hadn't been replaced yet and the engine bounced and put a huge slit in the radiator hose. Well, now he has a '92 Ford. Problem solved, or so we thought. We were out and somehow he got another hole in the radiator from the fan. Damn Fords. I am actually scared to go off-road with him because I know his truck will break. I didn't mention the front drive shaft falling out, did I? Or the time his auto tranny wouldnt go into 3rd or 4th for no reason. That happened once too. He put a nice hole in the front of his new truck when he "hit gravel" going "slowly" and skidded off the road into a tree. I wasn't with him for that one. I think it's mandatory that you have to be a wreckless moron to own a Ford.

2old_honda
12-06-2002, 10:49 PM
you do not need those expensive 9.3mm wires. Just get a set of NGK's, they are about $20 and will work great! You can get them at nopi. click here (http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsppartdetail&vmakeid=140&vmodelid=010&vcatyear=1988&vnopinum=922%2B6970&vTitle=1988%20HONDA%20Accord%20Ignition/Tune-Up%20Ignition%20Wires&vaffid=0)