PDA

View Full Version : Taking out and putting in a new alternator ( Install / Remove )

mag_pbg
11-29-2002, 05:23 PM
My altinator crapped out on me today and I was wondering if there was some kind of trick to getting it out¿

anchovies
11-29-2002, 07:10 PM
Take off air box and work from the top.

1988starter
11-29-2002, 07:30 PM
Take off the ajustment bolt then get under the car and remove the pivot nut and bolt then take of the stock air box and pull the alternator up behind the throttle body.

A20A1
11-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Here is a pic:

greekguy7
12-03-2002, 06:08 AM
Anyone really have much luch removing the alternator from the top?

I heard it can be done, but the manual and auto repair shops do it from the bottom although that required removing the driveshaft.

Grant2k
12-03-2002, 06:31 AM
most outside sources will tell you to do it from the bottom, but you can do it from the top. i did it. you just have to move whatever is in your way, play with it, and you will get it out.

Immeraufdemhund
12-03-2002, 06:33 AM
I did.. couldn't take off the axel, and didn't fit through the master cylinder

shepherd79
12-03-2002, 06:48 AM
if you have EFI that taking alternator shouldn't be a problem.
but if you have carb, than you are gonna run into some pain when removing it. i took it out on my car, and i had a hard time wigle it out.

AccordEpicenter
12-03-2002, 10:26 PM
Even though i pulled the airbox and everything, i still found it useful to get under the car to unplug and unscrew connections and bolts and what not. Also if you need to fit the new alternator in, remove the mounting bracket from the engine and push the bushings back with a bench vise, if you try and hammer them back in while on the car, you can crack the block... big no no. On carb engines as far as I know you basically have to pull the drivers side axle shaft

Grant2k
12-04-2002, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
On carb engines as far as I know you basically have to pull the drivers side axle shaft
you can do it from the top with a carb, i know because i did. but you still have to jack the car up. it's not something you can do totally from the top. you take it out from the top, but jacking the car up for access underneath is going to help you out. it's been a while so i don't remember all the specifics of what we did.

mindlos
12-04-2002, 08:23 AM
what I did with mine (carbed) is slid the alternator along the firewall and took it out by the passenger side. There is a hump to get over in the middle section and you have to orient it right to get through. It helps if you loosen the screwdowns for the hoses going into the firewall around the mid-passenger side. Less than a minute and sure beats removing the drive axle.

MarkgM
10-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Hey, mindlos, I did the same thing today. Works great! I loosened the bolt a bit on the thing on the firewall wih the brake-cable lookin thing mounted to it, and did take off a water line, and a bracket mounted to the passenger side of the intake manifold, and one bolt on a wiring harness mounted to the post holding the motor mount.
But then, I slipped the old alt. out of the hole there (under the motor mount), and sliped the new one in!

Thanks so much somebody figured this out!

Immeraufdemhund
10-11-2003, 02:52 PM
i just did a carb alt the other day and it was a little more tricky. I found out once i raise the driver side of the engine and move that plastic protector i pulled it out by the tie rod. Was fairly simple for the carb, even simpiler for the efi. I did the carb in about 1.5 hours including running to advance and stopping to eat.

AccordEpicenter
10-12-2003, 04:55 PM
i did mine in 1 hour on a lift, just taking the airbox out