PDA

View Full Version : removed tint-and defroster:(

TREVOR
11-30-2002, 10:44 AM
Dang, I took off the old ugly tint on the back window. It had alot of bubbles and it was purplish colored. I used a razor blade and tint off to remove it.
It worked, but the only problem is that the razor blade also removed alot of the defroster lines.:wtf:
Does anyone know how to replace it, repair it, or am I just shit out of luck.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
11-30-2002, 10:54 AM
Your shit out of luck. You will have to buy a wole new backwindow an thats not sayin that the deforster will work for sure after you replace it. Did u scrap all the lines off?

dXsquared
11-30-2002, 10:55 AM
if there are some left, buy some conductive paint... fix up the lines then if should work

Travis

bobafett
11-30-2002, 11:43 AM
yeah i am into computers, and we buy rear defroster kits for cars to unlock the multipliers on CPUS so we can overclock them higher!

so i am pretty sure it can be repaired, although it sounds like in youre case the line are pretty fucked up, so i am not sure if these would even do you any good.

Mike89Accordcom
11-30-2002, 12:37 PM
When I first had my accord tinted those bastards shaved those lines off, that was like 5 years ago, still has never worked. Sucks in the winter time.

TREVOR
11-30-2002, 01:13 PM
thanks guys, Damn near all the lines are mostly missing. The ones that are left are all hacked up, like missing gaps.
what kind of paint can I use thats conductive?

HondaBoy
11-30-2002, 08:52 PM
try going to a junk yard. thats wut i would do. find a good back window. u can usually tell if it is good by looking at the defroster lines. if they look rusted realy bad they might not work, but most of the time i have found good ones that work. i dont know about that conductive paint. maybe it will work i dont know.

socal3rdgen
11-30-2002, 08:58 PM
damn you must have been scraping the hell out of your window. i just scraped my tint off and i still have my lines. mine still works. what was your secret for getting the last inch off the bottom . i still cant get it off. tell me tell me. its so annoying.

i wonder if having a coupe has anything to do wiht it. my window is more slanted then sedan windows.

TREVOR
12-01-2002, 11:03 AM
Socal3rdgen, dude....I still can't get that last 1/2 an inch on the bottom. I don't think you can remove the back shelfe

Mantis88LX
12-01-2002, 06:25 PM
u mean the part were the rear light is at on the rear deck? just take the light off to get to it.

87AccordsterLx
12-01-2002, 06:32 PM
you can repair those lines man... use a ruler and make them straight... you'll be fine...

socal3rdgen
12-01-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by TREVOR
Socal3rdgen, dude....I still can't get that last 1/2 an inch on the bottom. I don't think you can remove the back shelfe

fuccccckkkkkk!!!!!! :banghead: damn it o well me and you are in the same boat huh. if i find a answer i will tell you asap. same for you tell me if you find the answer.

mantis im sure we both took off the light and the rear speakers. your hand is to big to fit without taking those off. thanks though

Maydnaella
12-02-2002, 12:17 AM
I still have lines but the defroster doesn't work... just what kind of lines do i have to have?

Mike89Accordcom
12-02-2002, 01:33 AM
Ya my lines are still there, but they shaved the important part off.

Chubs87Accord
12-02-2002, 04:23 AM
yeah same thing happened to me.. i only scraped off a small strip and was like 'oh shit!' so i left it... i got one big clear line goin up my window :D lol... im gonna attempt using a blow dryer to get the rest off... when i didnt i didnt scrape the whole line off.. it was only the black part of it that came off.. i still have this copperish part of the line showing... thats not a bad thing is it? oh you know what you could use guys.. that stuf thaat rain-x puts out.. i think its like fog-x or something.. supposedly keeps your windows from fogging... rain-x works great so i see no reason i why this stuff wouldnt work

TREVOR
12-03-2002, 12:31 PM
YA MAN, I DID TAKE THE LIGHT OUT, MY HAND JUST CAN'T GET TO IT. I PUT SOME OF THAT FOG-X STUFF ON AND IT STILL FOGS UP AND WHEN THE SUN DOES COME OUT, I HAVE A BIG ASS GLAZY WINDOW. ANYOTHER IDEAS ON FOGGY WINDOWS?

socal3rdgen
12-03-2002, 01:03 PM
trevor do you have any pics of your car. especially the back end with the corvette lights. i want to see.

TREVOR
12-05-2002, 11:51 AM
No man not yet. My car is black right now and needs a few small dents pulled out. Then I am going to paint it kind of like that civic si blue before I post any pictures. Plus I don't have a digital camera.

lostforawhile
12-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Your shit out of luck. You will have to buy a wole new backwindow an thats not sayin that the deforster will work for sure after you replace it. Did u scrap all the lines off?
you're not SOL there are kits made to repair defroster lines,they come with a special conductive tape,thats the same thing that was put on there factory. do a search on the internet,maby try defroster repair kit or something like that,JC whitney also used to carry those kits.

lostforawhile
12-24-2006, 10:47 AM
sorry about not seeing the date,but heres a link for anyone who needs info on repairs or products on repairing those lines,this ought to be in the links section too. http://www.frostfighter.com/

88mugenlxi
01-11-2007, 01:40 PM
hey man i have worked at a honda dealer for three years now, tameron honda of daphne alabama... i've repaired 4 of these, there is a conductive paint you put tape on the windows, in small strips aligned with the existing lines, then paint it on, let it set for 3 to 4 hours, take a multimeter and test voltage on both ends on the strip and apply more if needed... you have to have the defroster on tho.... duh... heres the website for the stuff honda uses "http://www.frostfighter.com/ff_products.htm" its only 19 bucks and it'll do 5 windshields - happy repairing friend