Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
That's what's happening with my hubcaps. They're flaking away. I use the goop to try to keep things moisturized so it doesn't get to that point. I mean, once these plastic pretty bits are gone, they're gone for good because we can't get them new anymore. I'm not the first owner of the car, so a lot of damage happened before me. I'm doing what I can to preserve and restore it.

Yes, it only lasts a few weeks, and yes, I'm looking for something more permanent. If you look at the pics, my bump strips and back bumper were white. Not faded. Not grey. Bright white. It took a lot of goop to get them to a dark mottled gray and the goop would wash off with the first rain and they'd be white again. It was just horribly ugly and ate at my brain to know they weren't perfect. So yeah, I'm looking for a permanent restoration that I can smear goop on and preserve.

I've tried replacing guide pins before, which did nothing. The guide pins are only half the story though. You have to get the guide pin sleeves too. The sleeves don't always help either if the caliper seats are wallowed out, which I have encountered on the Suburban. Even so, the parts are cheap enough from Rock Auto, so maybe I will try rebuilding them.

Still, I can't get good pads and what I can get keeps dwindling. That's why I'm trying to move away from the OE stuff to reliable aftermarket suppliers who won't do that. Hopefully. But yeah, pins and sleeves are a lot cheaper than aftermarket calipers, so I'll probably rebuild.

I'm using the cheapest DOT 3 fluid, BTW.

I didn't bed the brakes per se, but I got them nice and hot on the downhill near home (so hot they faded), then let them cool down in the driveway overnight. So yeah, they definitely got bedded. The next day was when the real fun began. I've gotten the truck brakes so hot coming down the hill that they smell up the yard when I park. They've never faded though. With the old pads back on, I'm coming down same as always with no fade, and no wobbling so far. Maybe the trick is to distribute a nice thick layer of ceramic pad material onto the rotors before installing the OE pads!

that goop may be causing the mechanical adhesion to fail or chew up the plastic to a point. I had given up on all those fancy belt dressings, its all veggie oil or some silicone anyway. caused too many issues in the paint department.

Bedding in the brakes is a really easily overlooked thing. The hawk pads I've been using and even several other sets have some specific instructions for bed in procedures. The Hawks have several stops mild stops @30 mph with time for cool down in between then a few harder stops to finish. Overheating the brakes like that isnt a great idea, the guys with the exotics on the road course here chuck their tires so the rotors don't warp while they cool. also keep in mind that ceramics vs semi metallic will bite differently. FYI be mindful buying reman caliper brackets, I'd have a number of them cause pad clunk / slap being they were too worn even with new clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
You know, I think we're getting confused on the paint issue. There are a few different trim/parts on the car that are showing deterioration. What's of most concern to me are the hard plastic hubcaps, the rubberized trim (turning white) and the steel window trims fading and flaking. Like I said before, I prepped the steel window trims to exact spec and that stuff is faded and flaking off now. Prep won't stop fading and whatever goop I slathered on the steel trim wouldn't matter, because it would come off with even a mild solvent. So no one will convince me that prep would make a bit of difference there. On the hard plastic hubcaps, I over-prepped, frankly. I sanded and soaped multiple times because I wasn't going to let my prep be blamed for another failure. Rattle paint always fails, and everyone always blames the prep work. There again, the paint is coming off in big chips. You can blame that on goop and I can't really argue. There might be a bigger issue though, as it looks to me like the plastic underneath might be disintegrating. So again, prep was immaterial. I wouldn't paint the rubberized trim because if I can't get rattle paint to stick to prepped steel, how will it ever hold to flexy rubber? I did dye the rubberized stuff and like everything else, that lasted until the first rain.

At any rate, you guys can rattle paint if you want, but I'm done with it. Any steel on this car is getting powder coated. The Bon Ami has worked spectacularly on the bump strips, so that only leaves the hubcaps. The solution there is to swap them out with a set of BBS rims. LOL

I don't know what happened with those other brake pads. The OE pads are back on now and I haven't had any further difficulty. As I was reassembling everything, I noticed how much slop is in my brakes though. They're still the original calipers from '89 to the best of my knowledge. They've been in service nearly 30 years. I've never done anything with them, and they're pretty wiggly now. Sadly, I can't get NEW calipers, so there doesn't seem to be much point in replacing them now. That goes against the new 'no reman parts' rule I seem to have adopted.

I'm thinking about this instead. https://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeK...ord&option=SEI
I'll still stick to it, Prep is prep and is a majority of the battle. if big chunks are peeling off / flaking off then the prep work was not as thorough as it needed to be. This is a mechanical adhesion issue. A coating will only be as durable / strong as the substrate underneath it. It was always said at any body-shop I've worked for that the best paint to paint over was OEM if it was not compromised.

When I had re-conditioned my hatchback moldings I had to remove all the flaking plastic / rubber until it was bare metal. Then I had to address the bonding of the rubber to the molding itself with a special rubber cement. All the moldings were wet-sanded and cleaned and sprayed with a light coat of adhesion promoter followed up by Etching primer / 2k primer. Wet-sanded again and cleaned and sprayed with rattle can SEM black. All moldings after 2 harsh daily driving winters and now brutal summers still hold up very well with minor chips ( the bumper lip obviously has some chips). Adhesion is ok that the peel test in the hot sun does not remove material.