Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: Warm restart issue

  1. #51
    LXi User InAccordance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6
    Posts
    723

    Re: Warm restart issue

    Summit has them for 399$ last I looked.
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.



  2. #52

    Dr_Snooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i
    Location
    Fresno, California
    Posts
    9,576

    Re: Warm restart issue

    Moving the discussion over to a dedicated thread: https://www.3geez.com/forum/suspensi...ml#post1212677
    Dr_Snooz

    "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis


    1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

    Can't see my car? Install the "photobucket embed fix" Add-On in your Firefox browser.

    Shop manual downloads available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0

  3. #53
    LXi User InAccordance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6
    Posts
    723

    Re: Warm restart issue

    word
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

  4. #54
    2.0Si User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    3,940

    Re: Warm restart issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I don't know. I replaced the sensor the manual identified as the TW sensor. When I disconnected it, the engine immediately died. The other is a thermoswitch, for the fans I assume. I'm pretty confident that I got the right one, but who knows?

    Work is killing me with the overtime right now. It's a good problem to have, so I'm not complaining. Just tired. I bought the big battery tester from Harbor Freight and it should tell me a lot. I'll test it when I can get a chance. Hopefully tomorrow, but we'll see.

    Thank you everyone for the help.
    -osdnsz-jpg

    I unhooked my TW switch today and the car keep running and I can restart it.

    -hbenph-jpg

    Unhooked and code 6 running at idle and at 2 grand for 1 min its noticeably richer. It starts at 13.6 and runs down to 12.8 pretty quick.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 06-04-2019 at 12:22 AM.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

    My Acura Type R front brake thread

    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option

  5. #55
    LXi User Shane86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    795

    Re: Warm restart issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    -osdnsz-jpg

    I unhooked my TW switch today and the car keep running and I can restart it.

    -hbenph-jpg

    Unhooked and code 6 running at idle and at 2 grand for 1 min its noticeably richer. It starts at 13.6 and runs down to 12.8 pretty quick.
    Just to confirm so the green plug is the TW switch

  6. #56

    Dr_Snooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i
    Location
    Fresno, California
    Posts
    9,576

    Re: Warm restart issue

    From the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual:



    From the Service Manual:



    TW sensor is closest to the head. The other is Coolant Temp Switch B. It's one of 2 switches that operate the cooling fans, at least on my '89 EFI AC equipped car.

    Wiring diagrams and explanations for the cooling fan circuit are on p. 202 of the '89 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. Diagrams and explanation for the EFI system and TW sensor are on p. 248 of the same. I can't speak to individual cars, or model years other than 88-89, but this is what Honda intended to come out of their factories, and barring industrial sabotage or corrupt union intrigue, that's probably how they came. I'm not trying to be combative; I just don't want people chasing their tails needlessly. Electrical troubleshooting is hard enough without going down blind alleys.



    In looking at this more closely, I found that the wires going to my TW sensor (closest to the head) are completely severed in 2 places! I don't know how that didn't trip the CEL, but even if there were enough stray strands connecting together to prevent a CEL, there weren't enough to give a clean signal. That's probably why the car has more power some days than other days, why the idle occasionally becomes rough and my warm restarts are iffy. Now that I've found the opens, the CEL is lit. Thanks for being a day late and a dollar short! I'll replace that connector and see what happens. I do still have some roughness occasionally on warm restarts which I don't like.

    Does anyone know if this connector would work for that application?

    Thanks for your help guys!
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 06-15-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    Dr_Snooz

    "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis


    1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

    Can't see my car? Install the "photobucket embed fix" Add-On in your Firefox browser.

    Shop manual downloads available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0

  7. #57
    LXi User Shane86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    795

    Re: Warm restart issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    From the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual:



    From the Service Manual:



    TW sensor is closest to the head. The other is Coolant Temp Switch B. It's one of 2 switches that operate the cooling fans, at least on my '89 EFI AC equipped car.

    Wiring diagrams and explanations for the cooling fan circuit are on p. 202 of the '89 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. Diagrams and explanation for the EFI system and TW sensor are on p. 248 of the same. I can't speak to individual cars, or model years other than 88-89, but this is what Honda intended to come out of their factories, and barring industrial sabotage or corrupt union intrigue, that's probably how they came. I'm not trying to be combative; I just don't want people chasing their tails needlessly. Electrical troubleshooting is hard enough without going down blind alleys.



    In looking at this more closely, I found that the wires going to my TW sensor (closest to the head) are completely severed in 2 places! I don't know how that didn't trip the CEL, but even if there were enough stray strands connecting together to prevent a CEL, there weren't enough to give a clean signal. That's probably why the car has more power some days than other days, why the idle occasionally becomes rough and my warm restarts are iffy. Now that I've found the opens, the CEL is lit. Thanks for being a day late and a dollar short! I'll replace that connector and see what happens. I do still have some roughness occasionally on warm restarts which I don't like.

    Does anyone know if this connector would work for that application?

    Thanks for your help guys!
    Here's a link where you can get the terminals to crimp to the wire. Motorcycle .090 - 2.3mm Connector and Terminals the two pin HV 90

  8. #58
    2.0Si User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    3,940

    Re: Warm restart issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Shane86 View Post
    Just to confirm so the green plug is the TW switch
    For my car a 1988 J code car I would say yes. its gave code 6.

    I suspected it would run rich and it seemed to running 2000 rpms for about a min more. I was stationary just running it in my driveway.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

    My Acura Type R front brake thread

    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option

Similar Threads

  1. lingering sporadic warm starting issue
    By derolph in forum EFI Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 06:41 AM
  2. warm start issue
    By rocketman in forum 3geez Accords
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 03:43 AM
  3. New twist on old issue - warm-up idle
    By omianan in forum EFI Tech
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM
  4. Warm Start Issue
    By shadowvox6 in forum 3geez Accords
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 12:32 AM
  5. 89 lx-i wont restart after warm
    By chello in forum EFI Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-24-2006, 11:18 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
VigLink badge