Thread: Warm restart issue

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Warm restart issue

I'm experiencing a warm restart issue. It's not the classic main relay issue where the car won't start when the cabin gets warm. This one happens when the engine is warm. If I try to restart the car within 20 minutes or so of turning it off, it turns over, but won't fire. If I wait, it starts again no problem. My main relay is not a year old at this point, so I don't think it's that. I did notice that the car smelled like fresh gas when it acted up the other night. That has me thinking about injectors. Two of my injectors are original parts. Two others are junkyard replacements. My suspicion is that they are leaking fuel into the combustion chamber after I turn the car off. Wait long enough and the fuel drips into the crankcase and the car starts again. Having said that, the car absolutely does not fire at all when this is happening. It just spins. If there were a lot of gas in the chamber, I'd expect it to cough and sputter some.

I haven't had a chance to do any kind of diagnosis. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Can't see my car? Install the "photobucket embed fix" Add-On in your Firefox browser.

Shop manual downloads available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 200,000 miles

Re: Warm restart issue

Loose plug wire to coil.

That's a complete guess.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Tw switch

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Shane86 View Post
    Tw switch
    Dang. That didn't even occur to me. Good catch.

It's a funny thing about human nature that after a 12 hour workday, you'd rather sit on your butt and watch TV than chase an intermittent car issue while being devoured by mosquitoes. Who knew? Anyway, the car left me sit for over an hour at a gas station last night. I had to call my neighbor to come pick me up. How embarrassing. Tonight I forced myself to go out and test it while it was still warm. The spark was almost not visible and I found the coil to be out of spec with values that kept moving around. This is an 8 year old coil with 25k miles on it. Not very impressive. Wish I had noted down where I got it from. Anyway, I have a replacement coming that I'll install tomorrow night and we'll see what happens.
    Dr_Snooz

Can't see my car? Install the "photobucket embed fix" Add-On in your Firefox browser.

Shop manual downloads available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

You can have my old one when I'm done with my conversion =D
    Originally posted by Shady_Pro:

ya piggy backing our ecu's is like putting webbers on your lude....useless!...

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Dang. That didn't even occur to me. Good catch.

It's a funny thing about human nature that after a 12 hour workday, you'd rather sit on your butt and watch TV than chase an intermittent car issue while being devoured by mosquitoes. Who knew? Anyway, the car left me sit for over an hour at a gas station last night. I had to call my neighbor to come pick me up. How embarrassing. Tonight I forced myself to go out and test it while it was still warm. The spark was almost not visible and I found the coil to be out of spec with values that kept moving around. This is an 8 year old coil with 25k miles on it. Not very impressive. Wish I had noted down where I got it from. Anyway, I have a replacement coming that I'll install tomorrow night and we'll see what happens.
    I just took another job that 8 hours shifts and my wifes already noticed I have done more around the house in 3 weeks than in the last 6 months.

Ill go with TW sensor. There is some kinda paper clip trick that will jump it out. You can search for that.

Check the specs of the new coil Im gonna guess there not to the book but for the Prelude.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

My Acura Type R front brake thread

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Definitely not the coil. So $50 bucks for nothing. I ordered new injectors today. I really think they're leaking down. There's no real way to test that, so I'm considering it a maintenance item.

Wouldn't the TW sensor flash a CEL? I guess when your ECU is 30 years old, there's all kinds of stuff it might not be doing anymore. I've already thrown 2 out for being messed up. It's easy enough to test, so I'll put that on the list.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 04-18-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi

Definitely not the coil. So $50 bucks for nothing. I ordered new injectors today. I really think they're leaking down. There's no real way to test that, so I'm considering it a maintenance item.

Wouldn't the TW sensor flash a CEL? I guess when your ECU is 30 years old, there's all kinds of stuff it might not be doing anymore. I've already thrown 2 out for being messed up. It's easy enough to test, so I'll put that on the list.
    Im guessing unless it read 0 it wont code out.

Reading warmer than it should will make the car way rich. When my t stat stuck all those years ago my AFR was 10:1 just idling and pegged down at 9 driving a short distance at part throttle.

Starting at full throttle may clear out excessive fuel on our cars. my new OBD2 cars wont start if you full throttle them,no fuel. I use it to prime the oil pump of oil changes a few seconds before firing off.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

My Acura Type R front brake thread

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

First when my TW switch went out it never threw a code. i threw all kinds of money at it trying to fix it. Then about a month later I noticed the plastic was cracked and I decided to go ahead and replace it. But the car was having all the kinds of symptoms as you described