Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556
Results 1,376 to 1,394 of 1394

Thread: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

  1. #1376

    ShiRen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX / 18 Civic Type R
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    309

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1989_3rdGenAccord View Post
    The parts I need are..
    Main shaft. Tooth count 11th-12th-19th reverse idler 27th. 5th gear 36th. Counter gear25th. kit bearings, syncros, gaskets and seals.
    Oh yikes. I did not figure you had it apart already. I would start calling trans shops, if there is any source for parts they would know it.

    Its a little late now, but you need to shift into one of the other gears without releasing the clutch before shifting into the unsynchronized reverse.



  2. #1377
    DX User 1989_3rdGenAccord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-I 1988 Honda Accord LX-I
    Posts
    37

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    Oh yikes. I did not figure you had it apart already. I would start calling trans shops, if there is any source for parts they would know it.

    Its a little late now, but you need to shift into one of the other gears without releasing the clutch before shifting into the unsynchronized reverse.
    I have been calling but so far no luck since the main parts I need are "hard parts" as they say.

  3. #1378

    ShiRen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX / 18 Civic Type R
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    309

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1989_3rdGenAccord View Post
    I have been calling but so far no luck since the main parts I need are "hard parts" as they say.
    I was afraid to hear that. I know 5th commonly dies in these trans, if you can't get those parts anymore then idk what we are going to do. Most cars with a good trans are too nice to pick parts off of, the cars that aren't look like this or are severely out of spec.

  4. #1379
    DX User 1989_3rdGenAccord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-I 1988 Honda Accord LX-I
    Posts
    37

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    I was afraid to hear that. I know 5th commonly dies in these trans, if you can't get those parts anymore then idk what we are going to do. Most cars with a good trans are too nice to pick parts off of, the cars that aren't look like this or are severely out of spec.
    I'm so sick about it.

  5. #1380
    DX User 1989_3rdGenAccord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-I 1988 Honda Accord LX-I
    Posts
    37

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    I need help with this, If there is anyone out there who can help me get the parts I need.

  6. #1381

    conozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 213,000 miles
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    837

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Your going to have to spend a good amount of time looking in junk yards and pulling tranny's to find what you need. Ask on the 3geez facebook page, check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, search all the local pick a parts you have.

    Make sure you replace the seals because 5th year is caused by low fluid leaking out of your seals.

    1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

  7. #1382
    DX User 1989_3rdGenAccord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-I 1988 Honda Accord LX-I
    Posts
    37

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Your going to have to spend a good amount of time looking in junk yards and pulling tranny's to find what you need. Ask on the 3geez facebook page, check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, search all the local pick a parts you have.

    Make sure you replace the seals because 5th year is caused by low fluid leaking out of your seals.
    I have been looking im my junkyards and so far the couple I have found are automatic. Yeah I have replaced my axle seals 5 times this year but they keep leaking. I don't have facebook but I asked my brother to look and he said there's nothing there for my car. I will look at carpart.com.

  8. #1383

    ShiRen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX / 18 Civic Type R
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    309

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    The big leaker you need to look out for is the shift shaft seal

  9. #1384
    DX User 1989_3rdGenAccord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-I 1988 Honda Accord LX-I
    Posts
    37

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    The big leaker you need to look out for is the shift shaft seal
    I think that one is ok but I will be replacing all that if I could ever find the parts I need.

  10. #1385


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    4,362

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1989_3rdGenAccord View Post
    I have been looking im my junkyards and so far the couple I have found are automatic. Yeah I have replaced my axle seals 5 times this year but they keep leaking. I don't have facebook but I asked my brother to look and he said there's nothing there for my car. I will look at carpart.com.
    One of those axle seals is the incorrect one and I dont think the correct one is available might be why it still leaks.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

    My Acura Type R front brake thread

    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option

  11. #1386

    ShiRen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX / 18 Civic Type R
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    309

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    One of those axle seals is the incorrect one and I dont think the correct one is available might be why it still leaks.
    I was able to get the correct driver side seal after about 7 trips to the parts store and I have no idea what the pn was, unless I posted it in my car's thread. I have to replace the passenger side seal now and as far as I can tell the right one is listed for the auto trans... I have it but I have not put it in yet.

  12. #1387
    DX User 1989_3rdGenAccord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-I 1988 Honda Accord LX-I
    Posts
    37

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Yeah I have not found one yet that doesn't leak.

  13. #1388
    DX User
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX
    Posts
    4

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Quick question; so Iím getting an í89 LX in a few days and the owner said the car stayed in the family and was maintained fairly. Only issues is the alternator and the ac system. He said the ac is completely shot. How should I go about repairing it? Will I need a whole conversion to r134a or can I keep the r12 system?

  14. #1389

    ShiRen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX / 18 Civic Type R
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    309

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    I think you are going to have to have the car in your hands before you know anything. It depends on which compressor it has and where it is leaking etc.

  15. #1390

    Dr_Snooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i
    Location
    Fresno, California
    Posts
    10,091

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    There's almost no reason to opt for R12 over R134 anymore. Last I checked an R12 fill cost $300 where a conversion costs maybe $150.
    Dr_Snooz

    "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis


    1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

    Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

  16. #1391
    DX User
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX
    Posts
    4

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    There's almost no reason to opt for R12 over R134 anymore. Last I checked an R12 fill cost $300 where a conversion costs maybe $150.
    Do you have a reference for a conversion kit? Just went to see the car today. glad to see that everything is exactly how the guy explained it to me (with the surprise no power steering). other than that, mechanically it feels solid! No leaks, and minor squeaks! Definitely needs some TLC on cosmetics (expected) but the engine and tranny are strong and what i hoped for! i have a few pics i took today that ill post in a bit. so glad to have something to put time into, amidst this corona crap haha

  17. #1392

    ShiRen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX / 18 Civic Type R
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    309

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingFuqboy View Post
    Do you have a reference for a conversion kit? Just went to see the car today. glad to see that everything is exactly how the guy explained it to me (with the surprise no power steering). other than that, mechanically it feels solid! No leaks, and minor squeaks! Definitely needs some TLC on cosmetics (expected) but the engine and tranny are strong and what i hoped for! i have a few pics i took today that ill post in a bit. so glad to have something to put time into, amidst this corona crap haha
    There are 2 different compressors, if it is a keihin, the whole system has to be replaced to put r134 in it, do not even try it. You need a denso compressor and none of the keihin lines fit it, so unless you adapt it somehow, you have to source the compatible lines. If your car already has a denso compressor though, its a matter of buying the $4 r134 fittings and filling it up. My money is on you have a keihin and the o rings on the lines to the compressor have perished. I have a keihin filled with es12, its not expensive, but availability is suboptimal.

  18. #1393
    DX User
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    2

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    Made a thread in 1geez but running out of time lol. Going to be looking at my first 1980 Accord Hatch 5spd. Single owner car almost 100% original with 119k miles. What should I look for visually and in a test drive? I am coming from a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 so a lot of this is foreign to me. Anything I should know ahead of time?

  19. #1394

    ShiRen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX / 18 Civic Type R
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    309

    Re: Have a quick question? Ask it here!

    I will answer you since you're pressed for time. I have never even seen a 1g in person honestly, and not many people own them anymore. You are going to have to use your own judgement for the most part, you should be able to tell most things that need fixed if you really look around, but parts are going to be hard to come by aside from your normal consumables. If there is something that looks wrong and you are not prepared to diy it or really go on a parts hunt then it may not be the car for you. However, Im sure it will be a fun project. I have a 3g and a Civic Type R, both cars are on total opposite sides of the spectrum and I love it.

Similar Threads

  1. Quick question need help quick
    By mushroom_toy in forum 3geez Accords
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2009, 10:59 PM
  2. quick question...
    By Kemikals in forum 3geez Accords
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 01:52 PM
  3. quick question
    By spanky in forum Classic Honda Community Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2005, 05:04 PM
  4. Quick Question
    By Glowin Smurff in forum Classic Honda Community Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 06:16 PM
  5. Just a quick question....
    By Mike D in forum Classic Honda Community Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-26-2002, 04:55 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
VigLink badge