Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Nice score on the fog lights! Does your move impact the workspace where you're doing your build? Is it still available to you? Farther away, etc?
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 06-16-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Nice score on the fog lights! Does your move impact the workspace where you're doing your build? Is it still available to you? Farther away, etc?
    Thanks Snooz! Really excited to get those restored for this build! So much nerding out! And as for the move, it doesn't really affect it much! I moved kitty corner from my old apartment, basically to bury my head in solitude and get more car stuff done, and it's been pretty effective so far! Still the same hour away from the barn, but no worries!
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Build thread! https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-...upe-build.html

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Hey, itís been likeÖ a month? Maybe more? Maybe less? Since I posted here last, thatís because Iíve been e̶t̶e̶r̶n̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶n̶e̶d̶ or working hard on shaving the engine bay, and itís taking forever. Other projects such as restoring my Dadís pontoon, doing summer vacation type things and furnishing my apartment has been taking up bandwidth, and Iíve been spending a lot of time waiting for packages to show up, and things to come together. I mean, Iíve spent said time in the engine bay, but itís not going quick, and still looks like a Pollock, so I think weíre going to skip those photos for now. But weíll start with the small stuff, then kinda crescendo into the bigger news.

Small thing number one? Picked up some foam tape, and threw it down around the HVAC system, much better than all that the grey/green dust of what had come with the car.
    -img_3988-jpg
    Two, Been reworking the brackets that are going to be my electrical center under the dash. The ECU bracket got some new clearances for my positive firewall lead, and the Fuse box bracket is getting reworked to become home to the OEM fusebox, the standalone one (see next images), a power bus, as well as a battery kill switch. (Reason being, since I have the battery relocated in a place in the front bumper, I donít want to have to pull off a panel whenever I want to disconnect the battery positive.) Itís still a bit of a mess, and still needs work, but itís going to be packed with features!
    -capture-png
    Also, about a month and a half ago, I gave some dude in the Netherlands some cash, and surprisingly enough, I got a box for it! Scored a super clean set of JDM corners, the oneís I had just werenít up to par, these certainly are. Theyíre MINT. Wish I had more car to put them on!
    -img_4124-jpg
    But anyways, time for some meat and potatoes.
    Block is back from the shop. Thatís right! That means itís time to put this thing TOGETHER, so enjoy the montage of all the stuff of Iíve been piling up finally finding its home where it belongs! One of the best feelings!

Hereís our initial chunks from the shop, freshly bagged!
    -img_4011-jpg
    And, thrown up on the stand, night before build time!
    -img_4022-jpg
    Freshly surfaced block:
    -img_4045-jpg
    Headsí on:
    -img_4046-jpg
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Camshafts in
    -img_4048-jpg
    Test fitting:
    -img_4051-jpg
    And WAIT. Interruption! Check this ouuuut! A full standalone freaking RYWIRE Harness. Fuse Box, quick disconnect at the firewall, all the good stuff, literally the top of the line in terms of Honda harnesses, and it is a pleasure and honor to be able to put such a quality part on my build, saving me tons of headache and replacing it with dopamine, I canít wait to get this all home where it should be in the car!
    -img_4103-jpg
    So, carrying on, hereís about where it stands. Spent some time dropping on more sensors, hoses and bits, but all the large components are in place on the motor, and I am totally obsessed with how itís turning out.
    -img_4114-jpg
    -img_4112-jpg
    -img_4109-jpg
    Definitly going to flood this with more images as this block gets further, but I can't contain my excitment! Also, as mentioned a few posts prior, Iíve already got the transmission here, and all itís a matter of it assembly and sorting out a few final systems, then itís time to fire it! Really want to put this project on the afterburners and make some big progress!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

So exciting! Looks like you cleaned those air boxes too. They look epic! But are you really going to put it back together with no AC? l guess you can get away with that in Detroit.

It's really looking awesome.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

ooooh juicy! That engine is real nice on the eyes...hell yes!!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

So exciting! Looks like you cleaned those air boxes too. They look epic! But are you really going to put it back together with no AC? l guess you can get away with that in Detroit.

It's really looking awesome.
    Yeah, I'm sure I'm going to have days I regret it- but the list of reasons to live without it are long enough that I don't mind letting it go. I'm packaging a ton of the electrical components where the evaporator would've gone, it cleans the bay up (I'm actually just finishing sealing the holes in the firewall for that today), and my daily driver has AC, so I can get by if I need it. And you bet! Gave them a thorough clean, wouldn't want dirty parts going back on this car! And thanks a ton Snooz, always appreciate that you keep track here!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedit View Post
    ooooh juicy! That engine is real nice on the eyes...hell yes!!
    It's been stellar having it come together, I've been on Cloud 9 so long I'm going to start having to pay rent, I'm elated!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Alright, not the usual time for an update, but I've got a second to type here, and I'm geeked to share! Making huge steps in getting everything together, definitely coming to some sort of crescendo!

Continuing on with the normal posting theme, here's the smaller stuff first! Here's that "Electrical Center" as just mentioned. Both fuse boxes are going to lived nestled in this position, then a kill switch and power bus to the right. The Ecu will be "under" the fusebox bracket against the firewall.
    -img_4130-jpg
    And more content in that same area, here's what the engine bay side of that wall will show- the main Rywire bulkhead connector, and then under that- a positive bulkhead connector, leading to the starter and alternator. And yes, don't worry, that bondo pile is not final, and is getting reduced as soon as I'm done typing!
    -img_4170-jpg
    Then, back to what we've all been waiting for, the B series assembly! Got to put in a few hours over the past few nights, and we're making good progress! Here's the last image of it on the stand, there's a few things to still button up, but wanted to get onto bigger things and then fill in the final gaps.
    -img_4136-jpg
    Once it was set on the earth, got the new clutch, flywheel, bearings, pressure plate, bolts and throw out bearing all tidied up (didn't want to scuff that fresh new paint!)
    -img_4147-jpg
    And brought it together! Got to throw on a few final goodies like the AEM Fuel rail, a select few final powdercoated brackets, lots of little hose clamp goodness, starter and shaft! Looks fresh from the factory floor, too geeked to have this coming together! I'm tempted to bust out the nice camera for a few shots tonight! So excited to have this all in one piece, everything feels great, and the small stack of things I'm missing are all on order and coming soon. There's a few odd bolts, hoses, a some of those valve cover bolt plugs a belt that need to get here, then we'll load it up with oil and hammer it out! Big push!
    -img_4165-jpg
    -img_4166-jpg

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Ack! I can't wait!!!
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Ack! I can't wait!!!
    Me neither!!! I've "unfortunately" got some vacation plans to keep my word these next couple weeks and a handful of other projects to take care of, but we're still in for the big push! So PUMPED.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Alright, time to cook up another batch! Things are in just a bit of lull with being out either around the office or doing some and R&D! Hopefully Iíll be around to keep putting in my hours!

So to crack this off, hereís some glorified photos of the engine block! Busted out the nice camera for a few shots, and as always, I love what that shutter sees! Just good stuff. So there goes half of the image uploading storage I have on this site, lmao
    -0b8bacf3-984e-4e26-8f81-d4c1017fb163-jpg
    -80a3a277-d40d-4ac3-a72e-a86f9756082a-jpg
    -78539bd1-e2dc-4a93-be62-4d8351f06768-jpg
    -img_2767-copy-jpg
    Then letís move to the engine bay! I made more ďprogressĒ by pulling the rear subframe last night, making this car the ultimate in project status, but allowing me to get to the final few holes that have been protected by their nearness to other parts.
    -img_4225-jpg
    -img_4238-jpg
    And, while I was poking away in one of the corners, I got to discover yet another thing that beckons, time, attention, and money- more rust! Iíve been grateful that this car has been so solid (considering it was a 400 dollar Honda!) but thereís always caveats, and so this has to be dealt with, as with anything!
    -img_4231-jpg
    -img_4233-jpg
    But DARN.

PS- rust photos are sideways, the drivers side forward frame hitting the firewall, right where that fuel line pops up, under the brake booster!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

But letís avoid that concerning issue, hereís what Iím here for! Got some nice big boxes in the airflow category to amend the currently single Magnaflow High Flow Cat that is my intake and exhaust system, the big filter and the back end muffler!
    -img_4288-jpg
    -img_4291-jpg
    Went with a D2 racing CAI, or, considering my bay is shavedÖ HAI. Did a lot of back and fourth in my head about this, really didnít want to do the basic thing of going with one of these common cone filters, and liked the idea of doing a stock box, but with the bay shave, all the natural air inlets were sealed, which limited my options. So here we go, bit of a settle, but itís still a quality product, and fits well!
    -img_4289-jpg
    Then as for a muffler, going with an OBX-R 2.5Ē Universal Honda Muffler. Supposedly itís fairly deep (for a 4 banger) but that will also weigh on the Vibrant Resonator Iím looking at. Really wanted twin tips, 2.5Ē exhaust, and from a decent name. This checked enough boxes, and also landed in a good price point. Itís definitely larger (and inherently, probably more ricey) than I expected, but itís growing on me pretty quick. I mean, itís just so shiny!
    -img_4294-jpg

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Eek. That rust is in a tough spot. How you gonna handle it?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Eek. That rust is in a tough spot. How you gonna handle it?
    It'll be dealing with rust. I'm going to leave it open and as is for now and get the engine and car together first, then once it's back to a body in white I think I'll strike! I've got an air powered spot sandblaster (just an open air gun) I can use to hit the well, then I'll cut out what's left around the hole. I've still got my spare coupe, and if it amazingly doesn't have rust there, I'll be able to trim out that piece and use it as the weld in patch panel. Hit it with something to prevent rust, then refill it with seam sealer. Maybe. If anything goes according to plan lmao

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Hey! Itís Monday, time for the regularly scheduled post, because Iím kinda on time for once!

Took a great vacation to the upper halves of Michigan this week, and will be doing the same thing again part of this week and (and weekend) so Iím not sure how much Iíll be getting done then, but weíll see! I was able to sweep into the car this weekend and wrangle the tasks at hand at moving the car forward, and theyíre going well! Definitely not hitting the Running-by-end-of-July-goal, but the horizon hasnít vanished, so Iím good with still making the progress that Iím making. The big thing this week was that I finally cashed in my lasercut parts! Got some pretty cool Stainless Steel parts! I recut my upper radiator bracket, as the one I hand built just didnít match up with lasercut quality. Still got a little bit of bending to hone it in with, but looks good for now! Might powdercoat it, might not.
    -img_4415-jpg
    Then, got another cool big chunk, my ECU Kickpanel! This photo is taken down in the passenger side wheel well. This panel will mount the ECU on the backside of it and be covered with carpet so that the computer is protected from stomping and general debris brought in with being in a footwell. You can see the amount of clearance from the firewall post mount, and Iíve also left clearance for the USB hookup for the Hondata Iím hoping to obtain at some point! Pretty functional.
    -img_4421-jpg
    Then, the big chunk, the main electrical junction. Iím packaging three fuse boxes in there, 1)The factory fusebox for body electrical systems 2) The Engine Fusebox forÖ well the engine. Then 3) A smaller power bus for my accessories, so air ride, the amp, heated seats, and a powerstrip! Then the other added feature is main battery kill switch. I was worried about its packaging around the blower motor, but seems to be all good! The main 4awg lines are built and Iím happy with them, still gotta run the smaller stuff, and wire the engine in! It was some work to shape up and spot weld it well, but itís good enough for the girls we run with!
    -img_4419-jpg
    -img_4417-jpg
    Then, took on the final boss of the bay shave, the torque arm center mount. It was an unprofessional mess to get off, but hey, itís off! Iíve been of two minds on it, but it was a big, unused shape dead center of the engine bay, and also a pretty nasty crimp on the brake lines and the B-series mount. So, I figured it had to go. Iíll be lasercutting a replacement HVAC coolant valve mount after some cardboard aided design, but thatís all I need from it!
    -img_4426-jpg
    So hereís what it looks like after etching primer over a bunch of welding and grinding, Iím still super nervous about welding on the firewall after lighting my car on fire once. Donít want to do it again!
    -img_4431-jpg
    Sooooo, yup! Thatís currently covered in cured bondo to fix up my grinding marks, then thereís a few more spots to fill in, then itís time to give an engine a home!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 213,000 miles

Great work.

Thanks for posting on the website too.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Great work.

Thanks for posting on the website too.
    Hey thanks a ton for following! I really appreciate these forums, way tighter knit bunch (and better info) than the Facebook page.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Yay for more progress!
    Dr_Snooz