Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Re: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Are you going to H2O when you finish?
    I'd love to go back! 2016 was an awesome show, but I'm a little more hesitant as time goes on, seems like H20i has really become something else in the past years, more of an excuse to destroy a city rather than a gearheads car meet, I'll just have to see where this all goes in the years to come!
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Build thread! https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-...upe-build.html

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Time to do a little writing! I know itís been some time, my schedule has been pretty packed with extraneous activities, that arenít all Accord stuff, maybe to my discontent. Naaaaaaaaaaaah Itís been a blast, I found myself in California with a buddy last weekend, enjoying all that is the Honda Mecca of America, as well as going to Vegas for a photo shoot of his car.
    -img_3103-jpg
    And, spent another weekend a bit back shooting out Delmont, one out camping, one up North in a house on a lake, then another night helping my buddy go pick up his own white on white 98 Neon coupe, another evening picking up 7 OEM 1995 Viper wheels, other nights reworking my apartment. In short, itís busy, and looking at my next few weekends, my car is going to continue being a dust magnet.
    -img_2943-jpg
    But, I mean, Iíve been doing what I can! California junkyarding is something I can only describe as nirvana, despite being a trip that happened on a cloudless 99 degree day on fresh black tar. Got a great haul for some decent prices, and was impressed at how everything came back to Michigan intact, despite being transported on a checked bag in a Spirit Airlines flight! Couldnít help myself with those hubcaps, I have my full set of four, but I know one or two is a little thrashed, so I justified my insanity! ÖEven if I wonít have an Accord that can fit 13Ē wheels before too long.
    -img_5368-jpg
    And speaking of wheels- while thereís absolutely no faltering in my love for Manarayís- I may have a source (only 4 hours away) on a set of wheels Iíve been keeping an eye out for for an easy three years, a set of Mitsubishi Starquest Cowbells. I know, theyíre weird, but something about them absolutely sings to me, and the sheer clunkiness of the design just screams 80s tech, which I think fits a handful of accessories this car seems to have mounting into it. These are a near duplicate of the Manarays in terms of specs, 15x6.5 +18s, and what Iím hoping to do is run a slightly more aggressive tire on it, the current 195/45/r15s are just a hair too small for the wheel wheels in my opinion, and something with a little more of a track look has been something Iíve been really wanting to find. The catch is, these wheels are stupid rare (far as I know) and the set Iím finding is fortunately affordable, although decently thrashed. Theyíre still round, but the curbrash is something concerning. And, theyíre 4x114.3, which means a fill, redrill and repowdercoat. Which means big $, so these are going to be purchased now and then put on the shelf for a good long while.
    -capture-jpg
    And speaking of things that are going to cost some cash, Iíve been getting somewhere on an other project, making a functional cold air intake. Iíve been pretty held up on the fact that the current CAI location is not great for the first two thirds of namesake, and that the best way to make this car not eat itís own heat is to build some sort of a scoop, and after a decent amount of deliberation and doodles, hereís where Iím at. A cowl induction hood thatís as low key as I can think of, and still a proper addition to the aesthetic of the car. Forward facing boxes poking out of the hood all seem so tacked on, and anything dramatic just screams rice, so hereís the most subtle answer I can find, and one I think speaks well to the car. This project is out of my scope of fab, so it may be exported, but for now, hereís the plan. Thoughts??
    -capture3-png
    -capture1-png
    Also, Iím pulling 2 5th gear sets from my spare A20 transmissions, who wants one?
    -img_5370-jpg
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX / 18 Civic Type R

Alright... I'll bite, why are you pulling 5th gear sets? Also I might actually take you up on that, my 5th syncro goes cronch.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    Alright... I'll bite, why are you pulling 5th gear sets? Also I might actually take you up on that, my 5th syncro goes cronch.
    I don't have a use for them, the spare coupe I have is getting gutted, and the engine that came out of my main car is also just a paperweight, so I figure they'd be more use to someone else! Think 70+ S&H is fair?

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Okay, I really should be doing the more pressing stuff of getting everything ready for turn key, but I've got the spare Accord in the bay right now and I couldn't help it.
    -img_5386-jpg
    -img_5384-jpg
    -img_5382-jpg

It doesn't look too bad IMO, might swap this hood onto the main Accord for a bit just to get an idea of the home it actually has before doing anything else.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Alright, weíre back on track with more updates, and some of these are actually directly relevant to getting the car together!

Letís start off with the small, important stuff, then spin off into ADD wasteland! First things first, I finally sorted out the AN radiator fittings! Theyíre a bit of a hack, but theyíre darn tight, and hopefully wont leak. Iíve decided that these are ultimately a stop gap, and getting some built XRP lines are going to be the way to go. Regardless, they look great for now! Fingers crossed on functionality.
    -img_5411-jpg
    Then, for minor work, I got the gas tank emptied, and rebuilt the armrest from Cali to be really nice and new in appearance! Calling that done! Then, I finally actually got around to test fitting the battery in place, and while it is indeed very snug, it seems to fit really nicely! I bored and bolted in the hole for the rivnut for my 4 inch ground strap, so check! Still gotta run the positive to position, but itís just another small thing to take care of.
    -img_5474-jpg
    Then, Iím super excited to announce that the OEM steering wheel adapter is (professionally) welded up and, powdercoated (un-professionally, by me), and it looks GREAT. Feels fantastic as well. Totally blends, and is totally rigid. Just geeked, the nerdiest things are the best.
    -img_5478-jpg
    -img_5480-jpg
    Alright, now on to my distractions! I drove four hours out to Ohio last weekend and did indeed score those cowbells mentioned in the post above! Iím excited to announce theyíre in better condition than I expected, and the drive went great.
    -img_5447-jpg
    And if you werenít sold on them yet, check this out. Theyíve got this touch look, and I think theyíll fit really well with all the oddities this car will have, the carrozzerias, hood scoop and fogs all have this four sided approach that all sing to me. I also went to the junkyard to pull a random H branded centercap so I could make an adapter to fit an OEM centercap into these wheels, since Iím missing three, and it turns out 98-07 Accords were taking notes from Mitsubishi, because they plug right in, and the centerbore is perfect. These are going to be on the shelf for some time, but I found a place in California that redrills and fills wheels for 180 a set, which is awesome! Makes this project a lot more budget friendly.
    -img_5453-jpg
    I suppose this isnít literally directly an update, but thereís a new car in the family thatís certainly going to be popping up in photos, a car my Dad has dreamed of owning ever since he was a kid crossing the country in one, a 1971 Olds Custom Cruiser. Itís all types of sweet, and Iíll happily be spending time away from the Accord making it cool. Just a heads up.
    -img_5414-jpg
    That also brings the fleet of Oldsmobiles in these stalls to a staggering 3, which meant we had to bring them out for a photoshoot, as weíll be listing the Delmont for sale to make room for the newest barge.
    -img_5425-jpg
    Good stuff! Lists are getting shorter, so Iím happy!

Vehicle

Do you have any plans for the brakes? I see that stock prop valve peeping out, it makes me anxious. I block mine out of my mind, but it feels like I am stopping the whole car with the rear drums more every month. I was also wondering if you were looking into new headlights, I switched to led a long time ago because the circuitry is not strong enough for those halogens, but all of the good 5x7 projectors stopped getting manufactured about 5 years ago. I think you can still find them, but I am seeing prices like $450 and that just hurts.

I really like the battery location, I might have to copy that, but I want to go li-ion when I do. Good to keep the weight over the front right and the battery cables a reasonable length rather than move it to the back of the car and have to deal with venting it. That location is completely empty anyway, its perfect.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Do you have any plans for the brakes? I see that stock prop valve peeping out, it makes me anxious. I block mine out of my mind, but it feels like I am stopping the whole car with the rear drums more every month. I was also wondering if you were looking into new headlights, I switched to led a long time ago because the circuitry is not strong enough for those halogens, but all of the good 5x7 projectors stopped getting manufactured about 5 years ago. I think you can still find them, but I am seeing prices like $450 and that just hurts.

I really like the battery location, I might have to copy that, but I want to go li-ion when I do. Good to keep the weight over the front right and the battery cables a reasonable length rather than move it to the back of the car and have to deal with venting it. That location is completely empty anyway, its perfect.
    Please do! I stole the location from Anthony Calabek, so I can only take so much credit. I've got a big ole' Optima since I'm worried about running a few extra accessories, but I've been really drawn to the lightweight Odyssey batteries that are often found in track cars, really easy to package and tuck out of the way. I bought a universal tray so if you're fitting an OEM size battery, let me know and I'll point you to it. Was on ebay for like 20 or 30 bucks.

That is a stock prop valve, but from an SE-i! I've got a complete rear disc conversion, Wilwood four piston front calipers and- while they're arguably not very too useful-slotted and drilled rotors in every corner. As for headlights, I think I'm going to leave them as just halogens. while there's clearly going to be non-stock components, I really want the overall exterior to be pretty period correct, and LEDs and the sort are always a giveaway. That said, I did have some LEDs in my spare car while it was still a driver, and I sure did appreciate the improved visibility, but style first on this one lmao.
    Name:  IMG_2387.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  19.5 KB

Vehicle

I knew you grabbed SE-I rear brakes, but I missed the Wilwoods (there is a lot going on in this thread lol). I don't think the base vs SE-I prop valve makes much difference, they're still plagued with the same issues. I am almost positive mine is leaking internally, my pedal was not this soft last year when I refreshed the brakes. I am sure you have better things to do than replumb the brakes to a front/rear split and swap that prop valve for an SE-I one so hopefully it doesn't cause any issues.

I specifically look out for headlights that work for leds, but don't look all crazy and out of place. My current ones are total cheapos, the projector doesn't even house the bulb, and the socket leaks, but they have a glass lens, I think I will open them up and put a whole projector housing pod in them. If you are going to stay halogen I would do a quick rewire of the headlight switch and send the current through relays, currently all of it goes through the stalks, its extremely dumb. I have a diagram on my cars thread, but I also wired it for DRLs, https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...ect-log-2.html If you don't want DRLs, I think you can just omit CR1 and the red wire for the parking lights though, so it would not require a diode to keep from bypassing the ignition with the parking lights, if that makes any sense.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

I knew you grabbed SE-I rear brakes, but I missed the Wilwoods (there is a lot going on in this thread lol). I don't think the base vs SE-I prop valve makes much difference, they're still plagued with the same issues. I am almost positive mine is leaking internally, my pedal was not this soft last year when I refreshed the brakes. I am sure you have better things to do than replumb the brakes to a front/rear split and swap that prop valve for an SE-I one so hopefully it doesn't cause any issues.

I specifically look out for headlights that work for leds, but don't look all crazy and out of place. My current ones are total cheapos, the projector doesn't even house the bulb, and the socket leaks, but they have a glass lens, I think I will open them up and put a whole projector housing pod in them. If you are going to stay halogen I would do a quick rewire of the headlight switch and send the current through relays, currently all of it goes through the stalks, its extremely dumb. I have a diagram on my cars thread, but I also wired it for DRLs, https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...ect-log-2.html If you don't want DRLs, I think you can just omit CR1 and the red wire for the parking lights though, so it would not require a diode to keep from bypassing the ignition with the parking lights, if that makes any sense.
    Oh snap! That's a really good point, I can see what you're saying about the wiring there. It's been an upgrade on and off my mind, and to be honest, I think the ones you have right now are a pretty nice blend of understated and functional. I'll add it into the truly chaotic realm of things I think about for this car!

Ahhhh, that's a fair concern! There's a ton of unknowns in this build (like a TON) and a proper shakedown test will definitely be in order. I'm content with the current one as is, but if a repair is necessary, I was thinking of going the Snooz route and getting one of those variable Wilwood setups, then tucking all the lines under the car and cleaning out the engine bay from it. And lmao, yeah sorry this thread is 100 fueled by my non-coherent train of thought, so no worries if there's a detail or two that slides by.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback

Wow, I'm a little envious, especially of the armrest. I can't justify the cost of the one on eBay. I'm selling the front part with the tape holder in it though, if anyone happens to want one.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Jinnai View Post
    Wow, I'm a little envious, especially of the armrest. I can't justify the cost of the one on eBay. I'm selling the front part with the tape holder in it though, if anyone happens to want one.
    Shoot me a PM

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Mine too! It just started and I HATE it!!

Quote Originally Posted by B0CKS View Post
    A cowl induction hood thatís as low key as I can think of, and still a proper addition to the aesthetic of the car. Thoughts??
    I like it!!!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW