Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!
    Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Re: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Okay, honestly, I know I just made a stream of posts, truth is- itís been like a week since I drafted them up, but I hadnít found the time to post! And well, since time has passed since then, Iíve got MORE UPDATES.

Itís all Civic based, but I mean, itís a third gen, and itís been the only thing occupying my frontal lobe, so Imma write about it. Plus its ultimate purpose is meant to be sacrificed on the grand altar for the paint budget for the Accord, soooooooo- technically?

Anyways, enough preface! Iíve been ramming information through my skull on this car, and admittedly, my home grown crash course has not revealed everything I needed to know. For starters- no front end swap is gonna be possible, so thatís a bummer. The stamped header panel is way more different than I thought, so no beans. Shoot, was really looking forward to those recessed headlights. Past that, it turns out that the swapping the pre-facelift bumper is also a hassle and underwent a complete redesign, meaning I need a whole bunch more brackets to using a bumper with all of itís grille slats intact. Really makes me appreciate our Accords and how interchangeable all the parts are. So moving from the front end, hereís whatís under the hood, obviously the coolest thing is a complete vacuum delete and a Weber, but truth be told, since the plan is suck as much currency as I can out of this car, Iíll be reverting back to the original rat nest of vacuum lines and strangled factory carb and selling the Weber. Just more bang for buck.
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-capture-png
    Come last Saturday I started in on the Manual trans swap! Had a great early morning start and enjoyed a clean barn, some peaceful tunes, sun beams and simple wrenching getting familiar with this painfully clean Civic, I wish I could live that part of Saturday every day!
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-img_7083-jpg
    And well, complications came fast, like very. Dropping the transmission wasnít anything too serious, and pulling off all the rust free bits were a breeze. But that was almost the exact same time I found out the crank shafts were transmission specific. AAAAAAAAAA. So, took a minute and ripped some hair out, but amazingly enough, one of my Dadís friends who was around to lend a hand amazingly already knew someone who was not only into these cars, but after a quick phone call, has a spare manual EW motor for parts, that he said heíd be more than willing to hand off his crankÖ FOR FREE.
    So with that sorted (amazingly enough), that means that doing a crank swap will entail an engine pull, so we got back to it and dunked the auto trans into the auto trans hole so we could pluck out the motor, then set the car down, unplugged the last few hoses that were strung to the motor and gave it a tug from the top. Enjoy the corny photo of yours truly & friends with another kill. We happened to take the same one with the Custom Cruisers 455 a week earlier. We enjoyed poking fun at how much of a smaller catch this was than the big fish V8 from the days prior.
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-158365580_10221498059734185_3676409292926978971_o-jpg
    So, engine out, it meant it was time to see if I really did land myself a freshly built motor or if I had picked up snake oil. Turns out the previous owner was true to his word, brand new gaskets, new oil, fresh filter, belt, water pump and you name it adorned this motor, we were blown away at the newness of practically everything.
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-capture1-png
    But the next thing to do was correct the sins of the previous ownerís paintwork, the purple spray job was factually a sin- there was no prep work so it was literally falling off the top, and the gold timing cover was scornful, so, after more hours than I kept track of, the valve cover was fully stripped of both factory paint and rattlecan with a half-pound of aircraft remover, and the junkyard timing cover cleaned up great to replace the gold plastic. The black powdercoat looks factory fresh, and all the cast brackets already caught their time in the sandblaster and oven, the AC and alternator brackets are now also that clean black.
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-capture2-png
    In the same vein, the crusty, kinda rusty pedal cluster also received the powder coating love, hereís the factory part, honestly not in bad shape for the environment it existed in, but clearly has room for improvement.
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-capture4-png
    Few hours later, and here we go. More full black powder goes to use, along with a less worn set of pedal pads happily donated from the B-Cord. Feels great, and barely reminds you of a the decade of mouse piss it lived in. Just gotta do this to every part that comes off, and before I know it, this Civic will gleam like it should!
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-capture5-png

So that about wraps that up! Thereís small stuff Iím glossing over, but itís been a wild couple weeks, thatís for sure. And while Iím hauling away at the keyboard, thereís also been serious consideration for a K20 swap. And by K20 swap, itíd be just that, nothing more. No lowering, no cool wheels, just a total sleeper build with the ability to lathe 13 inch wheels to nothing with ease. I priced it out, Cheddas is just about to come out with new K series mounts, Insane Axles has the axles covered, my friend whoís been cordially helping with wiring on the Accord would be more than happy to build the harness, and so all Iíd need to specifically sort is the exhaust and a parts car to source a heart from. Unfortunately, the rate of return doesnít make sense, building this car as cheaply and as factory as possible gives me roughly the same rate of return as does building this car out, with a 1/3 of the cost involved, which is far less of a gamble when the core goal of this car is to turn it into cash for the Accord. So huge darn, in another life.
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Build thread! https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-...upe-build.html
    [SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Do you ever sleep?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Do you ever sleep?
    More than I'd like.
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Truth is, I am currently fully distracted from my Accord. So I apologize about posting like solely about the wrong third Gen Honda in advance. Just been having a total blast with this car, really excited to get it on the road in these next couple weeks!

But Iíve been HAULIN on this Civic, lots and lots of little jobs squared up over this past week. Some small stuff like installing the front pair of new Rockford Fosgate speakers, fixing rattles in the both doorís B-Pillar trim, another great junkyard haul checking off a ton of little things that Iím hunting down (Unbroken dipstick, some trim, front crash brackets and supports, the works!) And have been refinishing parts left and right! Which is great on this budget build! Letís start with that- refinishing! A whole bunch of stuff has gone through the sandblasting and powdercoat process, seen below are the main front bumper crash brackets (Iím converting the front end to a pre-facelift 85 front bumper) and so the side brackets, and larger main brackets went from junkyard rust to a clean, even sheen of satin black, along with a scraped up battery tray, clutch cable bracket, a few lasercut bits, the works! Been a blast making all of it new again. (get it??)
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-img_7213-jpg
    Then, the boss battle of the aircleaner was also put through the process- holy cow- this thing had like easily a couple dozen parts to remove from to rip off for sandblasting prep, it was nuts! But it was fully sandblasted and caught a clean layer of powder, along with the cap, I was able to keep the 12-Valve sticker intact as it was removed and re-apply it (with the help of some spray adhesive) to give it that nice factory look.) really like the way this came out! The EGR vacuum release was also lightly sandblasted and sprayed with GM Satin black (not shown in this photo) and is a perfect match for the part! Youíll have to wait until the car is back together to spot it!
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-img_7695-jpg
    Also paint stripped the Brake booster from itís ugly, porous gold and gave it a fresh layer of black, should look good for the time being!
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-img_7255-jpg
    There also came the problem of the flywheel, it needed to be refinished, and with a spout of redneck engineering along with the urge to save a few bucks, the image below was a thing that really occurred, we took the wire wheel off one of grinder stands and got enough hardware together to build this non-concentric monstrosity. After a bit of sandblasting and some steel wool, we had a nice clean surface that should be able to withstand the insane amount of 62.23 horsepower this engine will be throwing at it. If it looks stupid, but works, it aint stupid.
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-img_7225-jpg
    The largest project of the weekend was tearing down the transmission for an inspection (check out that shiny flywheel! Success!)- and well, it was an adventure. After a bit of battle, it came apart!
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-img_7227-jpg
    And due to photo constraints (and lack of focus) weíll just skip to the good stuff, and not show any of the teardown, and instead focus on hand grenade that was this trans. I believe I wrote about the dilemma we found while aiming to swap out the transmission, the lack of input bearing on the flywheel? Yes? Well we tore down the transmission and found the input shaft to have a bit more wobble than we liked, and a pretty silver slurry of junk down in the corners of the transmission, definitely some metal shavings and chunks. WELL, it turns out, the lack of the outer input shaft bearing put more stress on the inner main bearing than Honda intended in the 130K miles the junkyard car this trans came out of, and killed that bearing. There we seven ball bearings left over in what I can only assume the original 12+ that were originally in the bearing. At some point, it had started shooting those out into the rest of the gears and getting mauled, which was probably the reason that blue hatch was taken off the road originally, as Iím sure the transmission was making some awful noises with a rattling input shaft. Well anyways, we needed to pull out this toasted bearing to replace it with a good part, and so, after finding out our strongest bit didnít even dent the out ring, we took the 7 bearings (back out of the trash), loaded them into place, then spaced them out evenly across the bearing races. Then, we took any hardware we could find, shoved them into the gaps to prevent the bearings from rolling, then took a drift and hammered on the main race, and like clockwork, the bearing popped out without issue. Absolutely HUGE win!! Saving that tip for the future for sure!
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-img_7261-jpg
    With the transmission gutted, the next step was to put it back together and plug it up (blue tape being used as a stand in gasket for those dying to know) and brought it over to a friendís who very recently got his VAPOR BLASTER(!!!!!!!!!) up and running! What your seeing below is the result of a couple of hours of blasting, resulting in a part with a practically new, bare aluminum finish!! It looks AMAZING. Not at all like a cheap part that spent the better part of this century covered in mouse crap and dirt!
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-img_7257-jpg
    And, another angle, just to show off how good a job we did.
    Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!-img_7258-jpg
    So itís not functional and loaded with gears and shafts just yet, gotta wait for a new bearing to show up- but in the meantime, Iíll be restoring all the brackets, wiring, and (fingers crossed) zinc plating the hardware! Which would be SUPER sweet. But with that coming together, and intake manifold gaskets I need also coming in the mail soon, we should be on the uphill of reassembly very soon! Been having a ton of fun with this project!

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Oh it's so clean! Now if it blows up in the first 300 miles, you'll win the coveted Dr_Snooz award.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1983 Accord LX hatch carb'd; 1986 Accord LX-i hatch

Quote Originally Posted by B0CKS View Post
    Actually, come to think of it, I actually recently got another things that uses tapes. It happens to be a 1987 Civic. 100% Out of the blue, but I am once again, overlaiden with Hondas. Did not see it coming. Allow me to regale you with this story, thatís all of literally one week old.
    Last Sunday, Iím going through the Facebook bilge- same as ever- a while ago thereís this guy who made a post about selling an 87 Civic hatch, 1000 obo, says heís moving and has to get rid of it. Donít make too much of it. Well Sunday night comes around, says heís moving out Thursday, car HAS to be gone before then, FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE. And well, Iíll be honest, the 3G Civic pages are about as active as this forum, thereís posts and activity, but no crazy rush, my comment, and one other guys make it to the post. I shoot him a message, tell him Iím into Hondas, send him some pictures of the car Iím supposed to be talking about in this thread, and we get to talking. To my amazement, the odometer reads 80K, the engine has been rebuilt (and still unfired at the time Iím writing this) and probably the straightest, most rust free Honda Iíve come to know. The catch? Heís three states south of me in Kentucky. So I call Wednesday off and make a trek down, bringing with me the wheels the Civic didnít have and some tools. Grab a U haul once Iím in town, and pick it up. Canít turn down a free car.
    Attachment 10631
    Attachment 10632
    And MAN, Iíll be honest, for FREE, I couldnít be more blown away, this car very much has come value, and itís nuts that I own it. The haul near the end was brutal, but I made it back in one piece, and the car really is in incredible shape. Itís an auto, and the previous owner says he broke the front pump of the trans when he mated the motor together, so thatís what halted the cars progress. Understandable. The car came with everything thatís come off of it, and so after getting the front end loosely back together, it looks far more respectable (and yes, long term readers, I picked up those Si Hubcaps a couple years ago and had them on the car known as the B-Cord, and theyíre coming out of storage yet again to look sweet on this car) and really complete the cardboard box that makes me love these cars
    Attachment 10633
    And if I havenít mentioned it, the interior on this car is near spotless, featuring the 3 spoke steering wheel that I adore, factory radio and awesome brown on brown action, itís in great shape, and only needs a few pieces of plastic and a few tears in the driverís seat addressed to be practically new.
    Attachment 10634
    As it turns out, I have access to most of the plastic I need. Actually nearly everything I need to bring this car back to life. If you scroll up and back some, you might remember I laughingly put a 85 Civic front end on my Accord, and it turns out that the feces filled, mouse infested rusted wreck of a car thatís currently sitting in a junkyard is an absolute diamond in the rough. I made a list of everything that Iíve found thatís broken, scuffed or beat on the Tan Civic and went with my fists clenched and nose pinched last Sunday, and had a blast making a huge junkyard haul, this photo taken shortly after I had finished pulling perhaps the most crucial part from this blue hatch, the manual transmission.
    Attachment 10635
    Thatís right- Iím manual swapping the Civic, which I think is a great idea, top to bottom. Now Iím sure you can tell by looking closely, but hereís what I pulled from the yard. Complete manual conversion (trans, flywheel, clutch ((buying a new one, donít worry)), pedal cluster, cable, and shift linkage) optional rear mudflaps, optional passenger side rear view mirror, weatherstripping that was crumbling on the Tan car, A pillar trim- same story, two functional center dash vents (both toast on my car), new upper timing cover (one on my hatch was rattle canned gold), front bumper (tan hatch has some teeth missing, and both the turn signal lenses were toasted), and everything I need to convert it to the cooler-looking recessed headlight look of the pre-facelift car. Not totally necessary, but I think a nice thing. Iím so geeked at how much that was bad on my hatch was good on this car. Iím just too excited. And I should mention, all this, plus the new clutch thatís in the mail right now has only set me back 300 bucks. Really, really not bad all things considered, I canít imagine trying to source all this otherwise, especially for that cheap!
    Attachment 10639
    WOW!! That's amazing!! Keep it up!