Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Re: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

So, the Accord hasn't been making much serious progress with my brother's Equinox in main project mode, but that doesn't mean I haven't had the itch in the meantime, so I've been distracted and venting that energy elsewhere!:
    -img_4225-jpg
    basically, I know there's only one complete 3gee 3D model floating around, and that's from Gran Turismo 4. But I've never seen only anyone rip it, so I figured it'd be fun to build myself and dust off some of the old Sketchup skills. And so it's getting there, this is only two days of work! I don't think it's going to be "fully detailed" or game ready or anything, but hey, at least it'll be a model of a 3gee, so that counts for something.

Neat.
    Last edited by B0CKS; 04-11-2019 at 04:09 AM.
    1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe (x2!), 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatch, 1985 Honda Spree

Build thread! https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-...upe-build.html

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

That is so cool! I'd love to learn and build the skills necessary to design like that..

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedit View Post
    That is so cool! I'd love to learn and build the skills necessary to design like that..
    Haha, thanks man! All it took for me was curiosity! I downloaded sketchup half on accident in Middle School and I've just been fascinated by it ever since! It's an absurdly easy program to pick up, and a great way to start learning how to design stuff!

P.S. I moved the 3D modelling thread here so that this thread doesn't get bogged down and (too) sidetracked!: https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...6-3gee-3d.html

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Gave myself a big early birthday present, and decided to get all the parts needed for tunes! I've already got a Kenwood stereo and an RF amp, so I decided to go through and upgrade the rest of the speakers themselves! And I have plans (as mentioned) to build a rear subwoofer box and custom center console setup for the 4" midrange and 10" subs, so that's where those are going! As for those four solo tweeters I'm planning on 3D printing bezels that will match the door handle closeout for those! I've got them designed, just gotta get stuff moving on fabrication! That said, here's everyone's favorite sight- boxes!!!
    -img_4271-jpg

And all emptied out:
    -img_4275-jpg

And so that's the plan for tunes! In other news the B-Cord got a good cleaning, welded an exhaust leak, fixed a headlight wiring issue and resolved the issues with the subwoofer, it was nice to give that some wrenching time! The DD is much happier!
    -img_4278-jpg

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Heyo! Check it out! The engine bay is getting close to its final look with this weekend getting almost all the hoses and tubes tightened into place, the the throttle linkage being hooked up, distributor being buttoned up, vacuum system getting built and clutch cable finding it's place home. Most of what's left at this point is taking care of the wiring harness (with a big thanks to Shane86 for making that whole experience look a whole let less intimidating with a few very helpful pointers!) some odds and ends, fluids and its go time! Cant wait to discover some rod knock!
    -img_4364-jpg
    -img_4367-jpg
    (In this picture below, it's pretty easy to see the simple vacuum diagram; one solid larger line goes to the brake booster then on the passenger side there's a T inlet with one end going to the PCV hose, and the other to the distributor advance- leaving the retard just plugged for now, it's a super simple system, I hope it works!)
    -img_4368-jpg
    We'll do more engine bay cleanup (removing brackets, filling unused bolt holes) when we teardown the car again for its two stage paint, so I'm looking forward to that, but for now we just need to get it running!

And in other news, and after a brief measurement from my old car, I've found out that the Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest shift boot fits the 3Gee pretty dang well! I just trapped the boot with the OEM screw in metal surround, and it looks all sorts of stock! Love it! The last touch is to get a DA integra shift knob, and then that'll be done!
    -img_4355-jpg

We're getting there! Unfortunately there's going to be a bit of a hiatus here coming up, I've got a lot of booked weekends coming up! But- till next time!
    Last edited by B0CKS; 05-08-2019 at 05:35 AM.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Hey everyone, howís it going? I got some more minor work done on the Accord, and I wanted to share it with you! Itís about cable management again, I wasnít quiiiite happy with how the throttle cable was still pretty long when I realized I could just segment out the middle with a Dremel. I had my spare carb throttle linkage sitting around, so I chopped off the barrel then cut out the middle surround, exposing just wire.
    -img_4422-jpg
    Then I cut the end off the removed sheath, and then used an out piece of conduit (from the middle I just cut out) to join the now drastically shortened end and start of wire. The end of the linkage had sheathing running all the way up to the cut line, so I trimmed it back so the linking sheath could reinforce it.
    -img_4425-jpg
    And then I used electrical tape to hold the new joint together and blam! The ďnewĒ cable is more than half as short as it was.
    -img_4429-jpg
    And in all honesty, itís a little too short! It currently covers up the cap of the brake booster/master cylinder, and so Iíll trim down the fuel injected linkage I have just a bit, and it should be perfect! Everything is easy!
    -img_4431-jpg
    And in other news, I think I finally figured out the look I want for the Prelude seats, I want them to appear OEM, but be enough different from everything else that theyíre just extra sharp. So the plan is to use a brown vinyl for the back of the seat (matching the DX) and then a brown cloth for the surround and headrest of the Prelude Seat (also probably matching a DX seat). Then the center being the most different, Iím hoping to find a very dark grey central cloth with repeating horizontal slightly less dark grey stripes, taking influence from EF9 Civic seats. Then Iíll get black floormats so that the floor and central black seat stripe run into each other for each seat. And if none of that made sense, hereís a quick sketch I made for my plans. The rears will obviously follow that same pattern, but the fronts are whatís most important to me!
    -img_4513-jpg
    Till next time!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

The carbon fiber hood is here! @apache07x were finally able to wrangle Fastenal into shipping it, and now it's my problem to sort out!
    It's certainly got some battle damage, but I paid-2-500 dollars less a new one, so it's what I expected! Plus I get to learn how to fix carbon fiber, and that just sounds cool. I like the look of it more than I should, and I'm debating on what I am/am not going to do about painting it. For now I'm going to be tackling making it smooth, shiny object again, and we'll play the rest by ear!

Here's how I got it:
    -img_4543-jpg
    And a quick wash to see what we have:
    -img_4528-jpg
    The worst of it is near the drivers headlight door where someone most likely took a DA and just ground through the clear and a ton of the fabric to try and get the dullness out, and went straight through everything. I'm seeing if it'll be worth it to try and patch, or just learn to accept some things are just the way they are! But that said, I couldn't express how cool it is to see this project with a hood, it's been so long since this vehicle had any sort of engine cover! I've already took down a lot of the grit with 400, and the damage seems pretty fixable if resin is as easy of material as I think it is!
    -img_4539-jpg

So I'm geeked! I didn't realize how much I like the look of carbon fiber on these cars, but this is pretttty neat!

And in other news, a prominent member of the Facebook page kindly gave up his EQ bezel (for money!) for my antics about a custom speaker setup. My Dad- who knows all things- has been concerned about phase and just general oddness from twin 4" speakers next to eachother, so I might end up getting another subwoofer. But for now, it's good to know at least this plan could work!
    -img_4527-jpg
    -img_4525-jpg

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord, 1988 Honda Accord Hatch LXi, 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by B0CKS View Post
    The carbon fiber hood is here! @apache07x were finally able to wrangle Fastenal into shipping it, and now it's my problem to sort out!
    It's certainly got some battle damage, but I paid-2-500 dollars less a new one, so it's what I expected! Plus I get to learn how to fix carbon fiber, and that just sounds cool. I like the look of it more than I should, and I'm debating on what I am/am not going to do about painting it. For now I'm going to be tackling making it smooth, shiny object again, and we'll play the rest by ear!

Here's how I got it:
    -img_4543-jpg
    And a quick wash to see what we have:
    -img_4528-jpg
    The worst of it is near the drivers headlight door where someone most likely took a DA and just ground through the clear and a ton of the fabric to try and get the dullness out, and went straight through everything. I'm seeing if it'll be worth it to try and patch, or just learn to accept some things are just the way they are! But that said, I couldn't express how cool it is to see this project with a hood, it's been so long since this vehicle had any sort of engine cover! I've already took down a lot of the grit with 400, and the damage seems pretty fixable if resin is as easy of material as I think it is!
    -img_4539-jpg

So I'm geeked! I didn't realize how much I like the look of carbon fiber on these cars, but this is pretttty neat!

And in other news, a prominent member of the Facebook page kindly gave up his EQ bezel (for money!) for my antics about a custom speaker setup. My Dad- who knows all things- has been concerned about phase and just general oddness from twin 4" speakers next to eachother, so I might end up getting another subwoofer. But for now, it's good to know at least this plan could work!
    -img_4527-jpg
    -img_4525-jpg

Man sorry that the hood got to you like that. You saw how I did have it packed up on a pallet. But I'd expect no less from Fastenal after the call asking for permission to ship it. SMH

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by apache07x View Post
    Man sorry that the hood got to you like that. You saw how I did have it packed up on a pallet. But I'd expect no less from Fastenal after the call asking for permission to ship it. SMH
    No worries man! Still excited for it, and happy to have one! Just like anything, it should be able to be fixed!

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

That hood is dope sucks it got damaged during shipping

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

Duuude yes, hood is killer. I wouldn't paint it, looks too good haha. If you need another EQ bezel I have one for sale (with an EQ in it! But I can take that out and put it in the CD player if you ever need the bezel). It's coming together man! Love it

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedit View Post
    Duuude yes, hood is killer. I wouldn't paint it, looks too good haha. If you need another EQ bezel I have one for sale (with an EQ in it! But I can take that out and put it in the CD player if you ever need the bezel). It's coming together man! Love it
    Haha, thanks man! I know! I'm super torn about the hood, I'd really like to start checking off some larger boxes on the car and didn't expect the hood to be another restoration project, but I do reaaaally like how it looks! You might convince me! And about the bezel- while I can't promise anything, I'll certainly keep your offer in mind! I sincerely appreciate you offering, especially when you've got such a cool pair of parts you'll be pulling apart! Thanks!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Shane86 View Post
    That hood is dope sucks it got damaged during shipping
    Stuff happens! Apache and I both realized we were dealing with a low quality service and so it's not too surprising! But it looks repairable, so I'm sure we'll be good down the road!

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by B0CKS View Post
    Stuff happens! Apache and I both realized we were dealing with a low quality service and so it's not too surprising! But it looks repairable, so I'm sure we'll be good down the road!
    Yea man it's all good you will have it looking good soon