Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Re: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Quote Originally Posted by B0CKS View Post
    Ah snap! No worries, that is the glory of these forums, there's always the info out there, just tucked in a dark corner I haven't seen yet haha, I'll go make an edit, any chance you could point me to his thread? I'd love to take notes!

No sedans yet! I've had a couple people ask, but so many of my days are booked, that a somewhat larger modelling project is hard to fit in! I'd like to make one yet!

Haha, rear speakers were a welcome upgrade to my other DX, so anything is better than zilch IMO! But me too, I can't wait to get a battery back in the car and see what they sound like (and how nicely they light up), doors on or not lmao!

And you bet! Just gotta find a second to get those dimensions!
    I don't think jon (wickedaccord) had a specific build thread. This is the last post from when he was selling his car if I recall.
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/sale/69730-my-car-$1000-00-a.html

Most of the links to his pictures are dead too unfortunately. Though I'm sure I have some burried on a hard drive at home.
    Ooh... I found his cardomain is still live; http://www.cardomain.com/ride/614870/1989-honda-accord/

What dimensions are you after?

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i View Post
    I don't think jon (wickedaccord) had a specific build thread. This is the last post from when he was selling his car if I recall.
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/sale/69730-my-car-$1000-00-a.html

Most of the links to his pictures are dead too unfortunately. Though I'm sure I have some burried on a hard drive at home.
    Ooh... I found his cardomain is still live; http://www.cardomain.com/ride/614870/1989-honda-accord/

What dimensions are you after?
    Gotta find the details on the Loonies and Toonies (right?)-I believe you mentioned one of them was a bit bigger than a quarter, so I gotta swap up the model a bit and make a CDM version!

Oh snap! It's too bad its fallen out of stardom, after doing some research, I am loosely familiar with his build! Such a cool car, that thing must have RIPPED. Had no idea it was ITR powered!
    1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Build thread! https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-...upe-build.html

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Quote Originally Posted by B0CKS View Post
    Gotta find the details on the Loonies and Toonies (right?)-I believe you mentioned one of them was a bit bigger than a quarter, so I gotta swap up the model a bit and make a CDM version!

Oh snap! It's too bad its fallen out of stardom, after doing some research, I am loosely familiar with his build! Such a cool car, that thing must have RIPPED. Had no idea it was ITR powered!
    Oooh right! haha. I'll measure some up for you and send the info!
    Yeah, his car was awesome, I know it was a built boosted b18c at one point, and had a b18c ITR motor as well at one point. Was quite epic.

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i View Post
    Oooh right! haha. I'll measure some up for you and send the info!
    Yeah, his car was awesome, I know it was a built boosted b18c at one point, and had a b18c ITR motor as well at one point. Was quite epic.
    No doubt! In that case, I'll gladly take the second place hahaha, massive respect for his ride!

I think the difference is that they're like 28 mils instead of like 25mm, nothing too serious!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

And in more updates, its been Christmas for me for a couple months at this point, this represents about 80% of what's coming for this block. I'll update the full build list once the block is complete- but all we're really missing here is bearings, rings, the (shipped) DC racing Header, and about 50+ items OEM bolts and bits from Acura! Pretty exciting to lay it all out!
    -img_2022-jpg
    Should start tearing the block down on Saturday! Can't wait to get started!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Got some good news from the weekend! With the help of people who know what theyíre doing, we tore down the Block! Everything came apart very easily, and we were surprised at how fresh everything looked! The block appears to have been very well maintained, and most likely very low on miles! There was no sludge in the oil pan, no scoring on the piston walls, and nearly everything in the head looked decent! So Iím pretty excited at what we- didnít- find. In fact, the worst of it was literally the part we pulled, the literal last piston we pulled showed a fairly toasty bearing, it wasnít failing at the moment, but certainly made this whole teardown worth it, because it certainly wouldnít have been good down the road!

But regardless of the good news, Iím planning on taking the block, head and crank to a machine shop to get the head rebuilt, and then have them inspect the block for any out of spec tolerances, warping or well, anything that looks out of place, but Iím glad to know Iím starting with a great block, and considering I got it for steal, I more than excited!

Head Looking great!:
    -img_2036-jpg
    Crank was all good:
    -img_2082-jpg
    And there's the bare block! Everything is bagged and labelled for (hopefully) short storage!
    -img_2095-jpg

And in other news, here's $250 bucks of brand new OEM Honda/Acura bolts look like:
    -img_2138-jpg
    And here's what $300 bucks of DC Racing Ceramic 4-2-1 coated header looks like!
    -img_2136-jpg

Till next update!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Re: Bagged B18C '88 DX Coupe Build!

Happy Holidays! To whoever is reading this, I hope you had a great Christmas! I got a few extra days off work, which meant I got to put in some wrench time!

Made a lot of progress on something Iíve been putting off for too long, the rear Subwoofer sefup. I bought a pair of 12Ē R2D2 Rockford Fosgates (not sure why thatís my go to audio brand, but here we are) and was planning to make a huge, complex overhanging box to house a teeth shattering amount of bass- for my tastes at least- but decided to cut to the chase and go with something a lot simpler. I picked up a R2S shallow mount sub in a pre-made box, and saved me a lot of hassle in getting it hung.
    -img_2192-jpg
    But Iím pretty geeked with how it sits, it really doesnít take up much space where it is, and doesnít really mess with the flip down rear-seat mechanism as much as I thought it would (you can see the little rope popping out from over the top of the sub, thatís tied to the little lever to pop the latch at the top of the seat, I thought it was a clever, simple solution!)
    -img_2195-jpg
    So that was fun, but I had another large checkbox I wanted to square off this week, and that was dropping my current engine to make room for the Type R. While there was practically nothing to disconnect, it was a quick and surprisingly easy task, made pleasant with an easy suspension tear-down, clean bolts, and amazingly warm weather for Michigan in December.
    -img_2202-jpg
    -img_2203-jpg
    The next step was tearing down the block for a few components I wanted to pull from it, and a few others I wanted to sell separately. The Weber/Vacuum Setup is for sale as a package for 600 bucks, I paid around 850 altogether for the Webers, B18 Intake Manifold Flange, Custom spliced throttle cable, and 87 Tegí Vacuum Distributor. So let me know if thatís something youíll be interested in, since Iím primarily looking to sell it to a 3Gee Member!
    -img_2205-jpg
    -img_2213-jpg
    -img_2217-jpg
    And so, my car is well- once again- a shell. I know itís been years of step forward, step backward, but trust me, weíre closing in on the trench run! Merry Christmas, and soon cheers to a New Year!
    -img_2222-jpg

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I moved the 3D printed parts posts to here: https://www.3geez.com/forum/restorat...ml#post1217251
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Thanks Snooz! I'll keep watch!

Got a handful more boxes in the mail, and some smaller updates! Hopefully moving forward on the engine itself soon, but I'm still getting prepped to have anything (and everything) ready to go as soon as we're ready to assemble! The first couple of bags and boxes that showed up is an exciting upgrade to the coolant system, full -16an fittings for the upper and lower radiator hose! So that meant new thermostat housing with a threaded bung, and also a K-Tuned upper fitting! Still gotta work out an upgraded radiator than the no-name ebay brand, thinking Skunk2 at the moment!
    -img_2356-jpg
    Then next up, I think I'm finally content with the model I've been working on for around a... year now? Here's a sneak preview of the 3D printed, minor duck-tail spoiler I designed. With the '87 Teg, front lip, I wanted something subtle to compliment the rear, so I arrived at this! I'm already printing the center section and both wings as I type, should hopefully have the whole wing printed by the end of the week for the first off test! Pardon the weird hand, it is mine, and there's only so much I can do to make that more aesthetically pleasing.
    -img_2367-jpg
    And lastly! With great power comes great need for stopping ability! So I've picked up a very exciting upgrade to my already upgraded-SE-i-Setup, which is four-piston Wilwood front Caliper setup! Gotta mock em up this weekend! Freaking GEEKED.
    -img_2361-jpg
    -img_2362-jpg
    -img_2365-jpg
    Till next update!

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

Wow looking great man! I was excited to hear the carbs but the Type R is worth it!!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedit View Post
    Wow looking great man! I was excited to hear the carbs but the Type R is worth it!!
    Thanks man! Couldn't have said it better, I never intended to lose the carbs, but there just isn't a way for me to pass up a Type R. That said, Anthony Calabek's Aerodeck is up and running, so at least there's one person with a Weber setup doing justice!

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Updates! I caught the flu, which means while I did spend most of these past few days absolutely blasted off NyQuil, I was able to hobble out to the barn and get a few simple things done! Got a lot of hours to pour in, but some more cool boxes arrived, and I got a long way on the spoiler! Iím going to end up re-printing the ends here- they need just a bit more surfacing work to better match the way the corners of the car flow forward, but everything else feels spot on to what I was looking for with this little Ducktail! Iím thinking that once I get version 2.0 done, I could maybe print out a couple for the masses if thereís some interest! Theyíll come in pieces and- yes- theyíll take quite a bit of finishing, but if thereís demand, Iíd be happy to satisfy!
    -img_2396-jpg
    -img_2403-jpg
    -img_2417-jpg
    -img_2418-jpg
    -img_2419-jpg
    Also, Wilwoods are in place! I was worried about fitment since theyíre a pretty bulky caliper, but they clear with plenty of space, thank goodness! That said, anyone want to buy a brand new Ė never used- set of front SE-I Calipers with Power Stop Pads?
    -img_2387-jpg
    Then, got another box in the mail! This is the second awesome box from Japan, and in it are what I need to have a fully functional, super clean set of Carrozzeria rear speakers, as this new pair has full subwoofer surrounds! The one thing I truly needed for the other set, but I think I can swing a way to get the other set into a functional pair still. Weíll see! Time to tear them all down and do some swapping, and then weíll get to see how they sound!
    -img_2379-jpg
    I also got this little pair of lights- theyíre off of a Japanese NSX, the dude swapped his for clears, and I picked em up! Iím still debating on whether or not Iíll use them, as theyíll be directly over the Red DOHC in the fender trim. TBD!
    -img_2376-jpg