Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 88 LXi Coupe - raising the dead

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi coupe

Re: 88 LXi Coupe - raising the dead

project has officially stalled out for now. Too many home projects getting in the way and having cold weather (what Texas considers cold) puts me in a mood where being outside is the last thing I want. I was able to finally find a 1st gen Integra front lip that only needs a minor repair. pick n pull is 50% off next weekend and I spotted a nice set of Integra LS mesh wheels with good tires that were still available. I haven't been able to find what I really want (Integra GSR blades) that are reasonable.

I only hope I remember how to put it back together once I'm done. At the very least I was smart enough to put all the hardware I removed into plastic bags with a label.
    Need vintage motorcycle parts? Visit Rubber City Vintage Cycles

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I remember that feeling when I had my engine and trans out of the car and disassembled. I stood in the big shop I was using, looked around at all the stuff and thought, "how am I going to get all this back together?" I wasn't as careful as you. I just set my parts in dedicated piles everywhere for the nephews to kick, but I still got it all back together. There were some steps where I had to think through some things carefully, consult the manual and make my best guess, but it worked out well. Once you get back into it, there isn't much that can get mixed up.

Good luck with your other projects.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi coupe

Another month and no update. Bathroom renovation is almost complete, but the house project list keeps growing. Hopefully time will be available in March once the weather is regularly warmer. Still on the hunt for a few parts here and there and at least the car is inside.

Could really use the following if anybody has them or comes across them at pick n pull

- driver and passenger door weatherstrip : the one that runs up the a-pillar and across the top of the roof. Texas sun has taken it's toll on both of mine
    - Prelude steering wheel w cruise control or another non-airbag Honda/Acura wheel that will fit without modification. The sun roached the whole top of my wheel
    - Prelude upper control arms - would like to lower the car once it's running and from everything I've read I'll need these. I've located some parts cars on row52.com, but most are on the west coast

Any ideas on a rear lip spoiler for the trunk? I've never been a fan of typical 'wing' type spoilers, including the OEM style. I've always preferred a subtle lip spoiler instead.
    Need vintage motorcycle parts? Visit Rubber City Vintage Cycles

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi coupe

Still no progress. Haven't had any time to work on the car since November. I have been gathering parts though. Picked up a set of used Tokico blue front and rear shocks with H&R springs. I was also finally able to find a pair of 2nd gen Prelude front upper control arms last weekend.
    About a month ago I got lucky at pick n pull and found a steering wheel in good shape and both driver and passenger side door weatherstrip seals.

In other news, I was in 2 more accidents with my daily drivers this year. In April I got hit on the highway by a guy with no insurance. Took out the entire passenger side of my 01 Toyota Landcruiser that I've owned for the last 14 years. I wanted to keep it, but it was at the point where it needed a lot of preventative maintenance, so I used my uninsured motorist coverage and let the insurance company take it.

I picked up a 2006 Acura TL as a new daily driver. The day after I paid $300 in taxes and tags with the state, I got hit by a lady in a 2013 Escalade who cut over 2 lanes to try to make a left turn at the last minute. Due to the age/mileage that was a total loss also. Spent the next 2 weeks trying to find a good replacement vehicle for under $5000. Got very lucky and found a 1999 Lexus GS300 with 138k miles for $3800. It needs basic maintenance (timing belt, some oil seals, ball joints, tie rod ends, water pump, thermostat and radiator), but the interior was well kept and 2JZ-GE powered.

I already picked up a set of 19" Infiniti G37S wheels made by Enkei that were powder coated by the previous owner with 245/40/19 tires for it. Knocked out rebuilding the front end, still gathering parts for the timing belt/oil seals and VVTI cam gear rebuild.

Almost forgot my reason for posting. Pick n Pull has 40% off this weekend and I found a set of 14" period correct wheels off a first gen MR2. I'm stuck deciding if I want these or want to hold out until I find a set of Integra GSR blades for it. I wish I took photos of the MR2 wheels while I was there Saturday.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

You've had quite the adventures. Good luck getting the wheels. Post up pics if you get them.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi coupe

Decided on the period correct MR2 wheels yesterday. Ran down to pick n pull and was able to get all 4 after paying to remove the dry rotted tires for about $130. I'll be able to polish up the faces myself and remove the minor curb rash on 1 of the wheels.

I really wanted 15" wheels, but I think these will fit the look much better.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Good choice!
    Dr_Snooz