Thread: 84 Prelude Auto to Manual

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

84 Prelude Auto to Manual

I recently bought an 83 prelude parts car with a manual transmission in it. The motor and transmission have about 130k miles on it. I pulled the motor last weekend and realized there are a few differences between the 83 and 84. One of the differences was the engine code, the '84 being a et2 and the 83 an es1, 2, or 3. Looking through engine parts, the only differences I could see were either in the intake manifold gasket or the exhaust manifold gasket. I'm wondering if the transmission will bolt up to the et2 block. I think it will, but I would like to confirm it here.

The 84 prelude has 50k miles on it. I'm torn on if I should see this project to the end, or just leave it untouched.

My possible plans are rebuilding the es1 motor, and installing a weber carb, or only swap the transmission in there.

-0-jpg

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '85 lude

Re: 84 Prelude Auto to Manual

Trans should be the same... The carb ones have smaller axles and flyweel/clutch. Way back when I was broke and crazy I swapped the larger diff into my carb trans and ground down the housing to fit 2.0 axles and flywheel.
    Although, that said, I know 84+ is the same, 83 did have some oddities but I believe you should be fine. I've only ever seen an 83 one time, long ago. The 83 is CVCC, you are not going to want that head.

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

Re: 84 Prelude Auto to Manual

I've decided to stick with the motor in the '84. I will probably start working on this project again next week starting with taking the glass out. Then I have to get rid of the parts car so I have room to work.