Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: thegreatdanes Aerodeck restoration project

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: thegreatdanes Aerodeck restoration project

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane View Post
    Hopefully the wretched curse of braking wobble from warped discs will be forever gone
    After some 30 years driving Hondas, I've finally figured this one out. The pad compound is too soft. It gets hot, turns gummy and deposits lumps on the rotor surface. The soft compound gives a nice initial grab, but the cost is braking performance that degrades badly over time. The solution is to buy pads with a harder compound. Look for something like a severe duty pad or a fleet pad. I've not tested any racing pads before, but that might also be a good solution.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 208k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap, nuthin' else

Vehicle
    1989 CA5 Aerodeck EXi 2.0 A20A4, Rover 827 Vitesse+SLi

I want to install a roof rack but the Thule racks (as well as any other rack here) are discontinued long ago. But I've pieced together a complete rack now. For anyone wanting to piece together their own, the full Thule roof rack for the Aerodeck (probably works for coupe/hatch also) would consist of the following parts:
    • Thule Fit Kit 052
    • Thule 400XT Aero foot pack
    • Thule 477 Short Roofline Adapter
    • Thule 761 square bars

Bear in mind that I have not yet confirmed that everything fits properly together and on the car, but I'm crossing my fingers.
    It is great that your project is still alive and looking awesome! For thule roof rack, I have been using them in the combination below. I hope it helps. I have added locks bought on ebay and it has been fantastic.
    • Thule Fit Kit 052
    • Thule gutterless feet (4) no. 950
    • Thule 761 square bars

Looks exactly like this
    Last edited by epic1400cs; 04-04-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    After some 30 years driving Hondas, I've finally figured this one out. The pad compound is too soft. It gets hot, turns gummy and deposits lumps on the rotor surface. The soft compound gives a nice initial grab, but the cost is braking performance that degrades badly over time. The solution is to buy pads with a harder compound. Look for something like a severe duty pad or a fleet pad. I've not tested any racing pads before, but that might also be a good solution.
    Interesting theory, thanks for pitching in! The pads I have are called EBC Green Stuff, I think they are supposed to be harder than stock but I'm not entirely sure. However I would think that the symptom of what you describe should rather be a slight pedal vibration due to disc thickness variation caused by the randomly distributed deposits. The steering wheel shaking while braking (what i call brake wobble) I cannot imagine how it could be caused by anything else than the calipers clamping onto something with too large runout. Have you been able to confirm your theory by for example cleaning/sanding the disc surface after wobbling was observed?

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by epic1400cs View Post
    It is great that your project is still alive and looking awesome! For thule roof rack, I have been using them in the combination below. I hope it helps. I have added locks bought on ebay and it has been fantastic.
    • Thule Fit Kit 052
    • Thule gutterless feet (4) no. 950
    • Thule 761 square bars

Looks exactly like this
    Good to see you Yasu and thanks! Thanks for confirming the rack! I was looking at the 950 feet also, but as far as I've been informed and could tell from pictures they are the same as the 400XT with the exception of some plastic fairing around the feet on the 400XT. Do you have any advice in terms of what size roof box can fit without interfering with the tailgate? How is your rack with regard to wind noise? I will be using a roof box for trips around Europe, so there will be a lot of german highway driving with the rack and box (and bikes on the back) installed and I'm curious how to best avoid noise as it could otherwise be somewhat painful in the long run.

Link to my 3geez garage

Vehicle

Noticed that i missed a couple of questions, sorry.

The electrolysis is very intriguing for rust removal. I know next to nothing about it, so don't mind my asking why you don't just drop a zinc bar in the bath and zinc coat your parts?
    Good question, I think in theory it is possible, but in practice on a home rigged system it is probably quite difficult to get an even current over the entire surface of the objects, so the zinc depositing would be quite uneven. Also I'm not sure if the developed gas could be toxic. So for metal depositing I would probably choose to get it done professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    looking good. From where did you source the rear disks? sounds bigger than stock.
    I dont have the part numbers here but as I recall the rear discs are oversize discs for newer Civics made by Powerstop. The calipers are Legend calipers. I think the conversion was covered by I think maybe Legendmaster.

Link to my 3geez garage

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

That rack will work. This is what I have on my car.

Vehicle
    1989 CA5 Aerodeck EXi 2.0 A20A4, Rover 827 Vitesse+SLi

I was looking at the 950 feet also, but as far as I've been informed and could tell from pictures they are the same as the 400XT with the exception of some plastic fairing around the feet on the 400XT. Do you have any advice in terms of what size roof box can fit without interfering with the tailgate? How is your rack with regard to wind noise? I will be using a roof box for trips around Europe, so there will be a lot of german highway driving with the rack and box (and bikes on the back) installed and I'm curious how to best avoid noise as it could otherwise be somewhat painful in the long run.
    I didn't know that Thule is making aero version for the old good rectangular bars! Yes they look the same apart from the futuristic spoilers.

Unfortunately I don't have experience with roof box but as you guess, the tail gate will limit the size of stuff you can load on it. I carried three bikes on it in the summer and I decide that I would open the tail gate only after I unload the bikes! I know there are some wide and short roof box. I hope you find suitable one. Good news? is that you can install the whole rack forward if you can compromise the look of it.

For wind noise, when I drive just myself without any load, I can hear wind noise - I am not sure if it is because the rectangular bar or because my feet don't have air spoiler like yours. But when there are some stuff on the roof and my family are in the car,
    1. I can't drive too fast (too heavy)
    2. Music, radio, chat and argument in the car
    made the wind noise almost unnoticeable

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Noticed that i missed a couple of questions, sorry.

Good question, I think in theory it is possible, but in practice on a home rigged system it is probably quite difficult to get an even current over the entire surface of the objects, so the zinc depositing would be quite uneven. Also I'm not sure if the developed gas could be toxic. So for metal depositing I would probably choose to get it done professionally.

I dont have the part numbers here but as I recall the rear discs are oversize discs for newer Civics made by Powerstop. The calipers are Legend calipers. I think the conversion was covered by I think maybe Legendmaster.
    I remember him trying to run it but it was never really completed. I already have legend rear calipers but stock SE-I rear disks. thanks for the input.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Have you been able to confirm your theory by for example cleaning/sanding the disc surface after wobbling was observed?
    Please, that would involve work. I just swapped out the pads for a harder compound and that alone solved the problem. This was on my truck because I don't drive the 3g anymore. I also had the reverse of this problem on my BMW. The pads it came with were some screwball compound that grabbed harder the hotter they got. Every time I braked, I would have to back way off the pedal every time or I would stop drastically short. I hated them. Anyway, I never had any wobble until I swapped out the pads for a softer compound. Then I had brake wobble all over the place.

Pay attention the next time you're driving down a long steep grade. The farther down you go, the worse the wobble will get as the pads get hotter and the compound gets sloppier. You have nothing to lose by changing pads. Unless you really want to do more extensive brake work.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 208k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap, nuthin' else

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by carotman View Post
    That rack will work. This is what I have on my car.
    Paving the way Jean! I wonder why it hasn't been discussed before. What's your experience on the wind noise?

Link to my 3geez garage

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by epic1400cs View Post
    I didn't know that Thule is making aero version for the old good rectangular bars! Yes they look the same apart from the futuristic spoilers.

Unfortunately I don't have experience with roof box but as you guess, the tail gate will limit the size of stuff you can load on it. I carried three bikes on it in the summer and I decide that I would open the tail gate only after I unload the bikes! I know there are some wide and short roof box. I hope you find suitable one. Good news? is that you can install the whole rack forward if you can compromise the look of it.

For wind noise, when I drive just myself without any load, I can hear wind noise - I am not sure if it is because the rectangular bar or because my feet don't have air spoiler like yours. But when there are some stuff on the roof and my family are in the car,
    1. I can't drive too fast (too heavy)
    2. Music, radio, chat and argument in the car
    made the wind noise almost unnoticeable
    Haha. Three bikes on the roof is pretty good. I want to be able to store some surf equipment outside of the cabin so the plan is to either use a tail gate strapped bike carrier or tow bar mounted (the ones that tilt to allow boot access).

Link to my 3geez garage

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    I remember him trying to run it but it was never really completed. I already have legend rear calipers but stock SE-I rear disks. thanks for the input.
    Ah, I see. It requires some minor modification to work:
    • Trim the caliper brackets slightly to clear the discs (can easily be done with a file)
    • The pads sit too close to the center of the hub, so I put some spacers between the pads and the caliper brackets to get them flush with the disc OD. Maybe other pads could be used instead.
    • You need to use the parking brake brackets from the 3g calipers.

Link to my 3geez garage

Vehicle

Please, that would involve work. I just swapped out the pads for a harder compound and that alone solved the problem. This was on my truck because I don't drive the 3g anymore. I also had the reverse of this problem on my BMW. The pads it came with were some screwball compound that grabbed harder the hotter they got. Every time I braked, I would have to back way off the pedal every time or I would stop drastically short. I hated them. Anyway, I never had any wobble until I swapped out the pads for a softer compound. Then I had brake wobble all over the place.

Pay attention the next time you're driving down a long steep grade. The farther down you go, the worse the wobble will get as the pads get hotter and the compound gets sloppier. You have nothing to lose by changing pads. Unless you really want to do more extensive brake work.
    Yea why not, I would try some other pads before upgrading the calipers. Or maybe spend some time diagnosing the problem more thoroughly.

Link to my 3geez garage

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Paving the way Jean! I wonder why it hasn't been discussed before. What's your experience on the wind noise?
    There's wind noise for sure but not more than any other car.

I put a BIG box on it and THEN I could hear the wind noise haha.

DX User

Guys plz make a YouTube page and post videos of builds!!!! We need more attention and there's hardly no build videos. I'll be posting plenty soon. Stay tuned

Vehicle
    1979 Honda Accord LX Hatch

Re: YouTube: Great idea. Too late for me. Mine's about done (as if they are ever done.)

Re: brake pads. Yeah, I've heard that pulsing brake pedal (with no ABS) is most often caused by deposits on the rotors, not warped disks. I used to get this after every 1/4 mile run in my old supercharged Civic Si and my Accord V6. After some normal driving the problem would gradually disappear. But such recovery probably depends on the caliper pad material.