Thread: Now you will all be jealous!!!

LX User

Now you will all be jealous!!!

So, I finally finished restoring 5th gear in my 88 lx-i (a18a, fi) by installing a new tranny.
    It just happened to be an A2K5!!!

here are the issues I had, and what I did to fix them:

Old 5speed main shaft pilot tip end-most end on old tranny was WIDER than A2K5!!! AND there was no pilot bearing whatsoever on the other side of the flywheel!!!
    However, the pilot bearing I bought in advance of the swap fit exactly onto the A2K5 pilot shaft area
    When I pulled the flywheel, there was no pilot bearing to be found, just a shitty little brass collar pressed in the flywheel (which accommodated the wider shaft of old tranny)
    So, I hauled the flywheel (for outer pilot bushing measurement) and the useless pilot bearing i bought, for inner diameter measurement down to the Napa warehouse (its like a frickin candy store, they have EVERYTHING IN STOCK) just as they were putting the key in the lock (heh heh heh, I hate people like me) and say "measure this shit up and find me a brass bushing that will work!!!"
    And after waiting 15 min. they gave me a box with a (longer) bushing that would fit in the flywheel and also match the new narrower A2K5 shaft as well.
    I had to cut it down with a hacksaw (to match the original really shitty one) and filed it down smooth, and it went right in, and works like a glove.

Everything else went straight in. INCLUDING my old accord axles, and accord shift rod and torque rod.

Also I changed the bushings at both ends of the torque rod to polyurethane racing ones for a 84-87crx/civic (again went straight in), well, except the round front one, it really really really didn't want to go in, and I really really really didn't want to disassemble the shifter IN the car to get the torque rod to my vice, 'cause my ass was dirty! So in order to press the bushing in without removing it from the car, I had to take my vice off my workbench to the torque rod!

Other than that, everything went as planned.
    NO DROOLING ON MY TRANNY!

homer says:
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    lude tranny
    and donuts

Vehicle
    1982 VW Scirocco, 1995 Acura Integra LS. Previously Owned: 1989 Accord LXi, 1991 Civic DX

Re: Now you will all be jealous!!!

Congrats! Maybe you'll be able to help others out who have been having the same issue (But i doubt it will all go in as smoothly as yours did!! )

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

man i got to get on it and swap my tranny

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

I noticed the difference in the input shafts after I swapped the gears from an 87 teg... Do you have a part number for that bushing? Are the 86-87 flywheels different from 88-89 or is it only the bushing? I read somewhere that they were smaller...
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

my swap went with out a hitch...besides the trans guy not rebuilding the 3rd and 4th syncro right...i sometimes get a grind from 4th gear teg trans to 5th gear accord...il guess i need to put some honda MTF in

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    my swap went with out a hitch...besides the trans guy not rebuilding the 3rd and 4th syncro right...i sometimes get a grind from 4th gear teg trans to 5th gear accord...il guess i need to put some honda MTF in

dam all that money dump in ur "hybrind" tranny for it to grind

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
    dam all that money dump in ur "hybrind" tranny for it to grind

yeah my brand new 320 buck 5th gear grinds....i think it hurts me more than the gear....on wed im switching to the mtf fluid....cuz 10w30 may not be the best.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

IF the clutch is being fully depressed, grinding is unacceptable. PERIOD

A lot of pilot bushings are just a brass sleeve, they are perfectly fine as long as they fit snug. YOu would be surprised how many people just don't think to use one at all and later wonder why they have shaft noises and input bearing noises.