Thread: Excuse Our Dust...

Vehicle
    87 Accord (RIP), 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Excuse Our Dust...

Hi everyone, I just wanted to give a heads up that there will be some work on the forum structure and organization here in the coming days - probably into next week. A frequent topic of discussion among the staff is about how we can organize the board so that the most pertinent information is easily accessible. Naturally, the nature of what's important to everyone can change over the years, so the board must adapt.

When the smoke clears, our structure will look more condensed, with some forums (like Carb Tech and Accord Pics & Videos) being used in a more broad fashion to accommodate all of the models we cover and not just the 3rd Gen. We truly are a community that encompasses multiple vehicle models & generations, and our layout should reflect that. We'll also be merging some forums that see little activity due to shifting focus among our user base.

In the process, forum sticky threads will be reviewed for their relevance and quality, and new ones will be created to reflect the nature of the forums they are in. Some of this work is painstaking, so I will not be closing the board for a long period of time while all of this work is being carried out - closures will be sporadic. I will also be working on a new board skin and logo to go along with our new look - nothing drastic, just a logo and some different color shades.

Hopefully everyone will enjoy the more streamlined 3geez when everything is done. And stay tuned for even more improvements in the coming weeks!
    - Joe

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: Excuse Our Dust...

Quote Originally Posted by 87accordlxi View Post
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to give a heads up that there will be some work on the forum structure and organization here in the coming days - probably into next week. A frequent topic of discussion among the staff is about how we can organize the board so that the most pertinent information is easily accessible. Naturally, the nature of what's important to everyone can change over the years, so the board must adapt.

When the smoke clears, our structure will look more condensed, with some forums (like Carb Tech and Accord Pics & Videos) being used in a more broad fashion to accommodate all of the models we cover and not just the 3rd Gen. We truly are a community that encompasses multiple vehicle models & generations, and our layout should reflect that. We'll also be merging some forums that see little activity due to shifting focus among our user base.

In the process, forum sticky threads will be reviewed for their relevance and quality, and new ones will be created to reflect the nature of the forums they are in. Some of this work is painstaking, so I will not be closing the board for a long period of time while all of this work is being carried out - closures will be sporadic. I will also be working on a new board skin and logo to go along with our new look - nothing drastic, just a logo and some different color shades.

Hopefully everyone will enjoy the more streamlined 3geez when everything is done. And stay tuned for even more improvements in the coming weeks!
    there needs to be some way to integrate the facebook forum with this forum, that seems to be where everyone is, maby a chat? as much as I hate to see everyone there, they are, and we need a way to bring them back here

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    there needs to be some way to integrate the facebook forum with this forum, that seems to be where everyone is, maby a chat? as much as I hate to see everyone there, they are, and we need a way to bring them back here
    There is a plugin for vBulletin that syncs forum content with Facebook content, but I talked to the developer and let's just say he didn't sell it very well. Apparently it doesn't work very well and he didn't seem too motivated to fix it.

We'll be adding some features that we've been lacking for a while, like an improved garage and member recognition like AOM. If people prefer Facebook, then that's what they prefer. Maybe people will get sick of it, or maybe the fact that we have over a decade of data here will work to our advantage. All we try to do is keep our site running smoothly and be responsive to our users.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    - Joe

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by 87accordlxi View Post
    There is a plugin for vBulletin that syncs forum content with Facebook content, but I talked to the developer and let's just say he didn't sell it very well. Apparently it doesn't work very well and he didn't seem too motivated to fix it.

We'll be adding some features that we've been lacking for a while, like an improved garage and member recognition like AOM. If people prefer Facebook, then that's what they prefer. Maybe people will get sick of it, or maybe the fact that we have over a decade of data here will work to our advantage. All we try to do is keep our site running smoothly and be responsive to our users.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I'm going to start posting stuff here and links on facebook,so people have to come here to see them, maby I can convince others to do the same

Vehicle

After some delay, I've pretty much completed Phase I of the makeover. You'll obviously notice that the forum layout is much different. We have rearranged & merged some forums to hopefully make it a little easier to navigate a site that caters to multiple generations of two different model lines. A few items of note -

- The 3geez "Technical" forum is now the "3geez Accords" forum, and it's intended to be a catch-all for addressing any troubleshooting for 3g Accords, which is pretty much how the old Technical forum operated.

- A few forums are no longer 3g-specific. These are Interior & Exterior Care (formerly Appearance and Audio & Security), Classic Honda Pics & Videos, Carburetor Tech, Restoration & Fabrication (formerly R&D)

- The former General, OT, Meets & Locations and Industry News forums are all merged into Classic Honda Community Chat. All of those forums served as glue or discussion starters for our community, so it made sense to merge them into one big forum.

- With a couple of the merged forums there are a huge number of sticky threads. These will be reviewed and put in their proper place in the coming days.

- Project Central is now open to all members. PLEASE post your updates in there and share!

I know this will take some getting used to, but the idea is to create larger "sandboxes" for users to play in.

More updates will be coming online in the near future!
    - Joe