Thread: Upper arm (rear suspension) and knuckle separated at joint; repair question

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i coupe; 91 Accord LX sedan

Upper arm (rear suspension) and knuckle separated at joint; repair question

On my '88 LX-i, the upper arm and knuckle pulled apart at the joint yesterday as I was leaving a parking lot. I immediately recognized I could not drive the car because the wheel was tilted and rubbing against the coil spring.

The attached photo shows the separated joint. I wonder whether replacement of a bushing will fix this. The arm seems okay otherwise.

The car is sitting near a repair shop; I had it towed there yesterday. Tomorrow morning, I'll talk to the shop owner about this, but am interested in opinions here.

Edit: Can a moderator move this to the Technical section? I did not intend to post it in Accord Pics & Videos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0302.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	6241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0308.JPG 
Views:	1460 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	6242  
    Last edited by derolph; 05-26-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: As noted in post.
    1988 Accord LX-i 2-door coupe, 205K miles, updated 1/4/18.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

Re: Upper arm (rear suspension) and knuckle separated at joint; repair question

new control arm is the only option. trying to repair that would be risking your own life and others

LXi User
    Vehicle

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, a new control arm will have the bolt on the outer end so that it can be connected to the knuckle, right? I found a control arm at Driveworks Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly 520-646: Purchase the best Control Arm w/Ball Joint - Lower at Advance Auto Parts but it does not show a side view and I cannot tell for sure from the photo that it has a bolt for attachment to the knuckle. Assuming it does, then no other parts are needed, it seems. Do you agree?

LXi User
    Vehicle

A side view of the upper control arm should look like NAPA AUTO PARTS, I gather.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by derolph View Post
    On my '88 LX-i, the upper arm and knuckle pulled apart at the joint yesterday as I was leaving a parking lot. I immediately recognized I could not drive the car because the wheel was tilted and rubbing against the coil spring.

The attached photo shows the separated joint. I wonder whether replacement of a bushing will fix this. The arm seems okay otherwise.

The car is sitting near a repair shop; I had it towed there yesterday. Tomorrow morning, I'll talk to the shop owner about this, but am interested in opinions here.

Edit: Can a moderator move this to the Technical section? I did not intend to post it in Accord Pics & Videos.
    Its just 2 bolts that bolt it to the frame/body of the car. You can do it your self. Taking the tire off will take more time. I would do both sides. the stock ones are non grease able and last about 2 years before they develop slop.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/suspensio...comes-end.html
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 05-26-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

LXi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Its just 2 bolts that bolt it to the frame/body of the car. You can do it your self. Taking the tire off will take more time. I would do both sides. the stock ones are non grease able and last about 2 years before they develop slop.
    Thanks for confirming what I was thinking about it being a fairly easy DIY task. I had the car towed to a parking lot near a repair shop I am familiar with, thinking I would have them do it. Since the car is there, I might go ahead with having them do it. However, I could take some tools over there and probably do it there in the parking lot. I'd do this in the evening after the shop closes; I'd feel uncomfortable working on a car while the shop is open. The parking area is not just for the repair shop, it's really a general public parking area and the two truck driver left my car some distance (roughly 75 ft.) from the shop because other parked vehicles prevented him from leaving it closer to the shop.

I agree that both sides should be done and I think I will also replace the right/other one soon.

Regarding the installation, how tight should the nut that fastens the control arm to the knuckle be tightened? Is a washer or bushing supposed to be placed on the end of that bolt before putting the nut on?

And, by the way, I have not seen any control arms with grease fittings. And, I have ordered one without a grease fitting from NAPA.
    Last edited by derolph; 05-26-2014 at 03:20 PM.

LXi User
    Vehicle

I believe I found pertinent torque settings in my Haynes manual (pg. 10-2). It says 28 ft-lbs for "upper arm-to-body bolts" and 32 ft-lbs for "upper arm balljoint stud nut".

When I remove the old cotter pin and nut, that should give me a clue to my question about washer or bushing being placed on the end of that bolt before putting the nut on.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lxtbw.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	6243

I did my own. Drilled a small hole and thread a zerk in.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

LXi User
    Vehicle

Well, I delved into this today. I removed the wheel and removed the old control arm, which was easy. But, I am having trouble getting the old ball joint bolt out of the knuckle. I removed the cotter pin and nut but, due to rust, I have not yet been able to break that ball joint bolt free of the knuckle. I have hammered on it, on the threaded end of the bolt and on the ball end, but it has not broken free. I have sprayed some PB Blaster on it.

I have a torch and could heat it. That might be worth a try. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by derolph; 05-28-2014 at 01:24 PM.

LXi User
    Vehicle

It's done. I got some help with someone with a bigger hammer. It did the job.

I was wondering whether any lubrication should be put on the ball-joint-side surface of the knuckle, between it and the rubber boot on the ball joint.