Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: honda prelude dirt track car

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Re: honda prelude dirt track car

Wait, sorry, still delirious from sleeping for 18 hours. First day off from a manual labor job when you worked a desk job less than a week ago does that.

DX User

Lol dont worry i understand that. My job is a firefighter and you should hear the things i say after im kept up all night on a sturcture fire or wildland fire. I have been looking into a h23 engine and so far i cant find any that are near by. But i just found out im getting my axles soon so ill be able to run it again. I also was going to get a camber kit and set up my suspension more. And also theres a race tonighy im going to talk to them about the headers and about the tires that would be an aggressive thread. I email delta cam and waiting for them, then i was looking at some stuff what i can do to my head amd im stumped lol.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Quote Originally Posted by knifemind View Post
    Wow...ok, that definitely looks like an A20 swapped into a 3rd gen. Looks like someone owes you a testicle. But seriously....Who would waste the effort to do that swap? I understand "using what you have on hand," but why would someone go through the effort to swap a motor with less or equal power? Would have made more sense to find a B20a5 and have the 20-30ish extra hp.

You can get a cam regrind from Delta for low $. I had mine done for about $70 2 years ago.

EDIT: Many track rules specify an engine must be from the same time period (i.e. a '90 car cannot have motor newer than what was available in '90), so a newer H would be illegal. If your track does not specify this then a swap would def be ideal.
    Name:  3369-10295l.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  16.5 KB
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

DX User

Hey everyone, so we got the car running and it os doing good but the last two races we broke the cv axle on the passenger side. I was told that the ones that arent from Honda directly will always break because they are a inch shorter. Or is it because the tires i had on it were to small and causing me to just spin the tires. Right now i thinm the tire on the pass is 195 60 14. And the one on the drivers is a 195 70 14. I have 3 205 70 14 tires i was going to throw on. But wanted to hear everyones input in the reason the cv axle keeps breaking.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I'd check for binding and bad motor mounts first. Are the axles you're breaking now the new ones or remans? You might have to find a good rebuilder, or start building them yourself. Back when I was running one of my Accords down the Jeep trails, I would screw up even OEM axles. Eventually, I gave up on replacing them wholesale and started rebuilding them, and lo and behold, they lasted longer.

DX User

I believe they are new. We got them from autozone. And i have a solid motor mount on the driver side, and the one on the back of the motor was broken but we welded it back together. And where could the binding be at any ideas? And i wanted to rebuild the first one i broke but i couldnt find the parts to rebuild it.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I haven't really experienced binding at all with these cars. Even the lowered guys aren't having axle binding issues. It sounds like time to stock up on good used Honda axles. Perhaps the parts store parts were "spray paint rebuilds".

What broke with the rear motor mount? The steel riser? Just to rule it out, you might as well replace it with an unbroken one.

I forget where you're racing. I might have some parts sitting around to help you out.

DX User

Yeah the steel riser that is in the back on the crossmember conecting to yhe engine. It broke dorectly in the middle of it. And we race in central California

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'm in Central Cali. Where do you race?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW