Thread: question about getting 5 speed parts

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord/HB

question about getting 5 speed parts

how many of the following parts can i get from a car without having to jack it up or go underneath?{excluding the pedals}
    Im getting most of the parts from a pick and pull...and i dont really want the car to fall on me or anything.

5 speed tranny
    shift linkage
    drivers side axle
    rear mount
    5 speed starter
    leather boot for shifter
    pedal bracket
    clutch pedal
    break pedal
    pedal stoppers
    clutch cable
    flywheel
    clutch friction disc and pressure plate
    ECU

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i (RIP)
    These can be pulled w/o a jack
    (if your newbie level w/ mechanics is medium)

shift linkage
    5 speed starter
    leather boot for shifter
    pedal bracket
    clutch pedal
    break pedal
    pedal stoppers
    clutch cable
    ECU

These are things that you will need to jack car up for:

tranny - duh!
    axle(s) - if you had some cinderblocks, and.. hrm.. it would be possible..
    rear mount - pain in the ass any way you look at it. those bolts are gonna be tight!
    flywheel - need to take tranny down first, then obviously you can get at it.
    clutch friction disc/pressure plate - ditto.

if you're pullin off a parts car.. chances are u gonna need to have some forearms, an assortment of long pipes, and maybe a friend.
    This useless space for sale, please inquire at the front desk.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Maybe you can bring in one jackstand just in case. But I don't think they allow to bring jackstands in.

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    why dont u get a parts car? i got a lude for 100 bux with a good tranny and other shit... i dunno if the pedals would be the same tho?

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord/HB
    they have those small jacks there in like every car...but now the grounds all muddy and icy.im tryin to figure out how i can transport a parts car to my house from the yard......

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments
    easy/real handy little secret..
    ...it's used by assholes all over the world when they jack a set of wheels of a car...

...just look around a little at the yard, find a long fence pole or something like that, grab 2 spares out of some of the cars there, stack the spares, and use that as a pivot for the pole. stick one end under the car, and push down on the other end. (kinda like a see-saw). The car lifts right up without any trouble. Have 2 other spares that you can shove under the car with ur feet, or just get a friend to throw 'em under while the car is up in the air. Works like a charm! Now there's no way that a few wheels holding up the car will give out, so get under the car and have a field day.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments
    ...btw...

...there's no way in hell you'll be able to get the shift rods off without getting under the car. It's just not possible. As far as the pedals, i would'nt try taking them apart at all, just get the 5 (i think) nuts off that hold the entire assy. in, disconnect the clutch and throlle cable from the pedals, remove the steering column/wheel, or at least unbolt it from the underdash.
    -Mark D.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord/HB
    jesus.....i was tryin to get the clutch and brake pedals......holy shit.....i had to cut apart half the dashboard, rip out the cruise control and spend 2 hours on the icey ground bent under the dashboard just to find out that i didnt have a ratchet extension long enough to reach the bolts! maybe i'll go back sometime this week....

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    I agree with getting a donor car. Just get a cheep parts car (cant be more than $100-$200) then you have all the parts you need and who knows what else you can take from it, then just have the junk guys haul the parts car away when youre done. It beats the shit out of getting big parts at the yard. Depending on how expensive your yard is it might even be cheaper...
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx
    I agree with getting the parts car. You can find 3G's for like $200-300 on eBay that run OK. I mean, it was the best selling car in America in like 88 & 89, no? And sold a lot in 86 & 87 too. So if you look around maybe you can get a beater with a blown head gasket or something for like $100.

I bought my girlfriend's 86LXI hatch for $50 because the owner didn't want to spend the money on putting in a new clutch.

I'm all for getting stuff at the junkyard, but when you're pulling the tranny, axles, pedals, shift linkage, and all that shit, then it'll take you forever. I personally wouldn't want to be doing that shit on icy, muddy ground.

1988starter
    My friend got an 100 dolar LXi for parts and when he was done he parted it off on ebay for about 70