Thread: Front Upper Control Arm/Ball Joint

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord LXi Hatchback

Front Upper Control Arm/Ball Joint

Does anyone know if they sell a front upper control arm assembly complete the bushings and shaft already installed so I dont have to press out the bushings and take apart the shaft from the old unit? This way, its a quick 45 minute job... no bench work necessary.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments
    I don't think they sell them as a full kit, but that doesn't mean you can't just get the arms, and also purchase the pivot shaft, and bushings separatly, and put them all together before installing them. It's not a bad idea anyway.
    -Mark D.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    The stock front upper arm has the ball joint built onto the arm itself.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx
    I haven't seen it like that anywhere. At the cheapo parts store around here I think I spent $55 for the upper arm when I changed mine. I thought about swapping the bushings, but they were like $20 each (not for a pair, each), and so I said no way.

Anyway, if you want to spend the extra money, you can buy new bushings. This allows you to beat the shit out of the old ones when you're taking them off (otherwise you sort-of have to know what you're doing because you can really distort them coming out).

I used some silicone spray to lube everything when I was banging it out on the bench last time I did one of these, and I found that it was easier than with no lubrication. I wouldn't use WD40 or any penetrating oils cuz it is bad for the rubber bushings.

But, again, I don't think they sell it pre-assembled anywhere. I could be wrong.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    oppss...you're talking about bushing...not ball joint sorry