Thread: Fuel Pump

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX, 1987 LX

Fuel Pump

Anyone know how much it will cost to have a garage replace my fuel pump? I'm guessing it's shot, because my car starts when I pour gas into the carb, but it won't draw gas from the tank (Yes, the tank does indeed have gas in it) I checked and replaced the fuel filter, but no gas is coming out of the fuel line when I step on the gas, and when I turn the key I don't here the fuel pump kick on.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    The fuel pump for my LXI was $150 alone and the honda pump was about $200. I dont know if the carb uses the same pump or not but thats what the part goes for alone. If i were to do it again i would just get the direct replacement from Honda because i didnt like having to splice the wires in the tank. But this was on my spare accord so i didnt want to put $200 into it.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx
    Could be your fuel relay or a fuse too. You should definitely check the fuses before you swap your pump.

Also, if you're gonna do the work yourself, check to see that you're getting power at your fuel pump before you get rid of it. I've never done an accord fuel pump, but I helped someone with their in-tank volvo pre-pump once, and the problem was bad ground.

I'm not sure if the chassis ground for accord fuel pumps ever rusts out or if the connections ever go bad. But I would bet that most shops wouldn't give a shit one way or another and still change and charge you for a new pump even if the problem was only bad ground -- another reason why doing the work yourself (if you know enough to do it and have the tools) pays!

-G

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 EX, 91 Lude SR, 96 Tsi
    Usually when the fuel pump goes in the carb model the car starts to run poorly (surging and stumbling) under acceleration. I've done a few of these over the years (rusty tank) and its really easy. Check to make sure its not a fuse or the big grey relay on the back of the fuse box (these do go) and if you want instructions on how to replace the pump yourself e-mail me. It's super easy....like .5 an hour at the most.
    Tinker, Tinker, Tinker....BOOM

Vehicle
    88 LX 5-speed Sedan
    You can get a fuel pump for your LX for under $75 at your local parts store. Easy replacement, if that's what it is.
    Nothin' extra

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    yeah you do have to take out the old motor, and splice the new one in though. not too hard, as long as you dont mind smelling like gas for a while.
    real 3geez http://www.3g-generation.com

i sold the honda. now working on a car with little bit more potential, an 88 supra. i still stop by occasionally.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Check the fuel cut off relay (the metal one with holes in it) on the back of the cabin fuse box swap it and see if it does any good. if nothing happens, check ur fuel filter near the driver side gas tank. and the one under ur hood near ur brake booster.

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    i just did my fuel pump today https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10215 it wasn't too bad, it was pretty straight forward. make sure it is the fuel pump though(i duble checked and triple checked, i didn't want to waste $100). i still kinda smell like gas...
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x