Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd & 3rd GEN ACCORD WEBER 32/36 & 38 HELP

can't you buy the cool air intake that they sell for the weber?

DX User

Need Weber install help fast!!!

Ok the Weber kit came today, looks ok but your right. The throttle cable from the Accord is gonna need to be hacked. I guess you have to snip off the ball type thing on the end, so it will go in that hole on the throttle stud supplied by the weber kit?? Also the stud itself, its held to that plate with the holes in it (that you bolt to the throttle shaft) by what looks like a washer and a cotter pin??? I tried it and its a VERY loose fit. That isn't gonna work!! What in the world are you supposed to do with THAT?? I have a rather sleazy solution-simply weld that throttle stud to the throttle adapter. Anything else I should know before I tackle this Saturday?? Thanks

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    it's supposed to rotate as the throttle moves... if you weld it the cable will kink and it might break.

add thin washers to take up the gap... but make sure it's not so tight that it doesn't rotate freely.

did you flatten and redrill a hole lower on the throttle bracket for the stud to go?
    you need to decrease the amount of throttle travel cause our pedal doesn't move the cable enough for you to use the holes provided.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Shouldn't you drill the new hole close to the pivot and in the center of the throttle bracket? I need to drill a new hole but don't know where to drill it.

Vehicle
    Originally posted by Nate2310
    can't you buy the cool air intake that they sell for the weber?
    what cold air intake is this? i've never seen one. who makes it and where do you get it?
    -Grant. I'm just a pirate chasing booty.

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    he is probably talking about this http://www.carbsunlimited.com/airintake.asp

It is just a short ram for the 32/36. for $170 its not worth it IMO

DX User
    Two questions. First won't flattening that bracket move the bracket closer to the carb-thus maybe creating a place for the throttle stud to hang up on?? Also it will no longer line up with the cable bracket they supply then. Lastly where do you drill the new hole?? If its close to the throttle shaft then you lose almost all the lever action and your throttle will be very stiff and touchy. Darn for a kit that was supposed to be Honda specific its pretty awful.

Vehicle
    I second that opinion, I had to make a new gasket because they sent the wrong one.

Vehicle

Weber 32/36 air intake from carbsunlimited?

Ok, I have the money to buy the spendy intake. I know it won't give me anymore hp than the rest of them. I just don't feel like making an adapter for the Weber. Plus it looks nice (polished) I don't think I could match the quality. They said it's a K&N type filter. I assume just because it's reusable. It's a 3" pipe with yellow rubber things. I think I would end up buying a different filter if I don't like the one it comes with. Does anyone else have this intake? I know it's spendy $167. But I was just wondering if the piping is going to work with our car? I'm just curious if I have to customize it still.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    it turns out you have to drill it right on the bend, after you flatten it... then stick it in a clanp and bend it back out a little and install the stud.
    and you have to slot and drill a hole lower on the cable bracket.

It's was awlful... but then i didn't buy the kit... I bought the carb on e-bay and ordered the rest of the parts later.

Here is my set up. It shows the lower slot on the cable bracket.

I had to add some odd bits so I assume my linkage will look nothing like yours.

note that I added a support bar or pivot to give the cable some leverage (right)... that will keep the cable from snapping or tearing the linkage apart.
    Without the support the cable would not be able to rotate the throttle linkage smoothly.

I also added a brace for the cable bracket (left)... I notticed that little by little the bracket was leaning forward.
    - llia

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    that thing seems like a waste of money. you wouldnt gain anything from it.

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    flatten the bracket and then add washers behind it to move it away from the carb.

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    here is a pic of what it should look like

this is PhydeauX's car, I hope he dosent mind that I stole his pic

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    one more thing... make sure you pulg the coolant hole beneath the carburetor plates. the gaskets are paper and I assume they will leak and fail as it is constantly in contact with hot high pressure water/coolant.

also the small coolant hose that went to the stock carb base plate needs to be plugged.
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Originally posted by 2old_honda
    here is a pic of what it should look like

this is PhydeauX's car, I hope he dosent mind that I stole his pic
    except we found out latter that installing the carb in the other direction helps.
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Originally posted by 2old_honda
    flatten the bracket and then add washers behind it to move it away from the carb.
    sadly i couldn't do that cause the original owner stripped the outer most threads of the throttle shaft.
    - llia

Vehicle
    Ok for drilling the new how, do you know like the exact numbers on where to drill it on the throttle bracket? I know it has to be close to the pivot and just to the right off center. Mines all the way to the right off center and close to the pivot. Don't know if it opens all the way though. Haven't checked it out yet.

Vehicle
    Yeah you would gain the same amount of hp with a normal intake. I know it's a waste of money but I have soooo much stuff I need to do, so I don't have time to make a new adapter and I want an intake on it pronto. It will have the same hp gains as any other 3" intake. And this summer I'm going to make my hoodscoop.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Well where do you plan to stick the hood scoop?
    and is it for cooling or intake.
    If you are doing ram air... yuo might as well not buy the intake.
    - llia

Vehicle
    What I plan to do is to have the intake on in the winter and during the rainy season. And to put the old one back on in the summer when I can use the hoodscoop.

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    you wouldn't gain anything because that is not a cold air intake. It is a short ram. You will be sucking hot air from the engine bay just like the filter that comes with the 32/36. To see any gains (very minimal at best) you would need to convert that short ram into a cold air setup. But with all the extra piping required for a CAI you would just be adding more stuff/bends (restrictions) that the air has to pass through to get to the engine. I would save my money and get a cam.

Vehicle
    My girlfriend just bought it for me. I might think about getting a true cai from a civic and selling just the intake that she bought me. (But keep the adapter) Maybe I will powder coat it and sell it to some moron in town here. I like it for the looks. Plus this mechanic lost 2 of my clips for my weber air cleaner.

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    Originally posted by A20A1
    except we found out latter that installing the carb in the other direction helps.
    yeah i forght about that

DX User
    Hey the pics help alot thanks. I think instead of redrilling the support bracket lower and slotting in like shown, I'll simply bend the top portion to a downward angle. The throttle cable will stick up a bit then, but it will actually give better lever action and make the throttle a little smoother. I'm off now to my parents house to tackle this job. Thanks again for the tips. BTW I will be installing the carb with the linkage on the drivers side like A20A1 recommends.

DX User
    Ok back with the car from my parents. Some install notes: Was a pretty easy job, made easier by the fact that I knew I had to hack up the throttle linkage. The pics helped ALOT!!! I ended up drilling the support bracket lower not bending it-I felt after looking at it that way would work the best. The hardest job?? Getting the old gasket off the intake!! Made harder by the fact that I was 100 miles away from my VERY well equipped garage and my gasket stripping tools. Ok there was a hesitation and some rough running off idle, which I cured by playing with the mixture screw. The only other bad hesitation is when I engage the secondary, it hesitates alot then accelerates. It almost feels like the secondary accelerator isn't working-or maybe its jetting. I can live with that tho. The only annoying problem is the car runs on badly after you shut it off now.....why is that?? Very strange. Tomorrow I'm tearing everything back off and sealing everything GOOD (I just threw it together to get it back here), there are some small vacuum leaks......and I can't get it to idle at less than 1000 rpms no matter what I do. So was it a worthwhile mod?? I give it a BIG thumbs up-and I haven't even set things up right. BIG seat of the pants improvement and that open element air cleaner is LOUD. The car is actually kinda fun to drive now. Thanks for all the help and I'd appreciate any more tips you have (particularly how to stop the running after the key is off)