Thread: Front brakes mod on Accord Aerodeck 3rd gen

DX User
    Vehicle
    Honda Accord Aerodeck 1987 2.0 CA5 A20A4

Front brakes mod on Accord Aerodeck 3rd gen

Hi guys,

I have recently bought an Accord Aerodeck CA5 A20A4 (1987). Started some general maintenance and whilst trying to change brake discs and pads I have realised that there are two different calipers installed, original one for 242mm brake disc and the one from 06.1987-> model, for 262mm disc brake. Since I had trouble finding either 242 or 262 caliper for Accord I have decided to purhase disc calipers from Honda Civic V Vtec, 262mm. Question for you guys, will this be plug and play setup or will I need some modifications? I am not going to upgrade the servo, my question is only about bolting it up and installing

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Front brakes mod on Accord Aerodeck 3rd gen

Any reason you aren't buying the correct Accord rotors?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Maybe hes having issues finding the stock rotors for the Accord. But afaik they're the same for all Honda models provided that you follow the stock for stock size and the "model" of the calipers itself. 15CL13VN on the stock 242mm (9.5") calipers I believe.

I know at least on the USDM 3g you need the 88-89 LXI knuckles to fit the bigger 262mm (10.3") rotors and calipers.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

DX User
    Vehicle

Thanks guys. Problem is, that previous owner did some mods and current setup is Left front brake caliper is of the 262mm discs and Right brake caliper is of the 242 discs. Also, just found out yesterday, left knuckle is of the newer accord model therefore I need to fit 262mm discs anyway. Now I need to find knuckle from the newer model for the right hand side. Having trouble with finding Accord calipers (or at least one so I have a matching pair) I decided to go with the VTEC setup. On VTECs disc is 21mm as opposed to 19mm. Hopefully once I manage to find newer knuckle all will fit no problem.

Thanks for your help.

DX User
    Vehicle

Another problem. The apparently Civic VTEC calipers turned out to be 15cl13VN - not sure of what are those - maybe they were fitted to some Civic models, but as you guys mentioned these were stock on Accords too?

One of the previously mounted caliper is 17cl14VN - which I believe is of Prelude or Integra.

Now I need to figure out what discs and pads shall I put. I already need to return 2 sets purchased earlier. Civic VTEC 21mm thicknes discs are not fitting right. I guess I need 262mm by 19mm and some proper pads. The seat for pads is ca 133mm so I guess I would need something like Brembo Aftermarket Catalogue
    althought not 100% sure.

On VW, which I have a few, everything is simple! Seems like this is not the case on Hondas

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Sorry, I misspoke earlier. I meant to ask why you aren't using the stock calipers. Of course, I didn't realize that someone had half-done a knuckle swap. WTF? That's grounds for a beating.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Front brakes mod on Accord Aerodeck 3rd gen

So what is the part number for the later model 262mm? One of mine is warped an I want to buy some drilled ones. Sorry if I misread or something, but it seems to me like the part numbers listed are for the older model. (And civic)
    Last edited by PolarWhite3G; 07-07-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: unfinished

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by PolarWhite3G View Post
    So what is the part number for the later model 262mm? One of mine is warped an I want to buy some drilled ones. Sorry if I misread or something, but it seems to me like the part numbers listed are for the older model. (And civic)
    Most of us are stateside so it is hard for us to give you part numbers that would make sense at all. All the numbers you have shown I never heard of and I have done a lot of research on brakes for our cars.

I have a thread in my signature below about converting to Acura Type R rotors,calipers,and pads. Again the part numbers are for here in the United States.

I use RockAuto Parts Catalog for part look up or buybrakes.com.

BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras - Honda-Tech

here is a chart from HT might be helpful as well.

If the Accord LXi knuckles are hard to find I have an similar 1992 Acura knuckle that I bolted up would work. There is a thread on here from long ago on it. Again this is USDM parts/cars.

I think you are going to have to find what parts are ready available and build from there.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 07-10-2014 at 07:23 AM.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

I live in the states too.