Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: more of this harness mess going in

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: more of this harness mess going in

Lost is building a fully custom car, with everything he wants and needs, just the way he likes it. A lot of people don't understand that, but i'm starting to. I need a proper work truck. I have a 1986 GMC 1-ton crew cab with a blown engine that I love to death. It's sat in the yard for a few years now, waiting until I can get the funds to rebuild it. Of course, it would be a lot better if it were a 4x4. And the frames were under built, so I'd like to box the frame. And add a trans cooler, oil cooler, high output alternator, inverter to run the table saw at the job site, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on.

At some point you realize that to get the car you really, really want, you'll have to build it yourself.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Lost is building a fully custom car, with everything he wants and needs, just the way he likes it. A lot of people don't understand that, but i'm starting to. I need a proper work truck. I have a 1986 GMC 1-ton crew cab with a blown engine that I love to death. It's sat in the yard for a few years now, waiting until I can get the funds to rebuild it. Of course, it would be a lot better if it were a 4x4. And the frames were under built, so I'd like to box the frame. And add a trans cooler, oil cooler, high output alternator, inverter to run the table saw at the job site, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on.

At some point you realize that to get the car you really, really want, you'll have to build it yourself.
    Been there and done that with an 91' FC, S13's and my olds. Necessity is different when its a work vehicle, we installed a generator and a air system on our friends truck that we use as a in field service truck for off-road guys. However we limit ourselves to the essentials, no creature comforts.

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    I've taken out quite a bit of weight, just the AC system alone was pretty heavy, going to the odyssey battery saved over 20 pounds, the factory carb and emission controls are gone, most everything I've built is made of lightweight aircraft aluminum, the exhaust system is very light, i had forgotten how heavy a regular steel system was, it will be interesting to see what it weighs over stock, the dx cars are lighter anyway to begin with
    Indeed taken out some weight, but adding an extra alternator, added wiring, oil cooler alone should easily put the car where it was prior. Lighter exhaust? you state your excessive bended / welded exhaust was made of SS. only weight saving fact there is absence of a muffler other wise still steel.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by gp02a0083 View Post
    Been there and done that with an 91' FC, S13's and my olds. Necessity is different when its a work vehicle, we installed a generator and a air system on our friends truck that we use as a in field service truck for off-road guys. However we limit ourselves to the essentials, no creature comforts.

Indeed taken out some weight, but adding an extra alternator, added wiring, oil cooler alone should easily put the car where it was prior. Lighter exhaust? you state your excessive bended / welded exhaust was made of SS. only weight saving fact there is absence of a muffler other wise still steel.
    the extra alternator is a necessity to drive around here at night with a small lightweight battery, I really don't feel like walking 30 miles at night, the alternator and odyssey battery together still weigh less then a standard battery, actually 7 pounds, i weighed both , the standard exhaust was double walled steel, there was a considerable difference in weight picking up two different pieces that were the same other then the material, I didn't use 304, I used 331 stainless, which has a higher titanium content and is a lot lighter then 304, and I do have a muffler, as far as the oil cooler, the entire cooler only weighs 4 pounds, exotic parts, I was able to get it because some fins were slightly bent, which made it non airworthy, not a thing wrong with it for non aircraft use
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 12-22-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    the extra alternator is a necessity to drive around here at night with a small lightweight battery, I really don't feel like walking 30 miles at night, the alternator and odyssey battery together still weigh less then a standard battery, actually 7 pounds, i weighed both , the standard exhaust was double walled steel, there was a considerable difference in weight picking up two different pieces that were the same other then the material, I didn't use 304, I used 331 stainless, which has a higher titanium content and is a lot lighter then 304, and I do have a muffler, as far as the oil cooler, the entire cooler only weighs 4 pounds, exotic parts, I was able to get it because some fins were slightly bent, which made it non airworthy, not a thing wrong with it for non aircraft use

If your going to make statements, please be correct.

I believe that you are talking about Stainless steel grade 321 that would be doped with Ti. Stainless steel 304 and 304L have the same density as 321 @ 8.03 grams/cm^3 and really not much difference on the Rockwell scale.

I really don't think there is as large of a weight savings as you claim. The PC625 (200CCA) battery weighs about 13lbs and each alternator is about 11-12 lbs each netting 35 -37 lbs. Standard battery sizes for our 3rd gens are group 26 @ 28lbs and 75/86's @ 38lbs. At best your getting a 1-3 lbs weight savings ( or adding 7-9lbs) at the cost of reducing the reserve time capacity by 68-70% ( 27 min vs 85-93 min) and lowering the CCA's by 60-70%. Knowing that I would have went with a sealed spiral AGM group 25.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Interesting stuff! Seriously you guys have some specialized unique research, access and resources than do most of us. Valueable info as long as it is explained**, accurate and discussion is condusive to the success of purpose built **components.