Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ethanol/Methanol compatibility?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Ethanol/Methanol compatibility?

Blue, do you expect any starting troubles with winter approaching? Here in Cali, we took a vote and decided not to have winter anymore. We may get a few days where the pipes freeze, just enough to wreck your garden, but all the rest of the time it's in the high 60's, low 70's. We certainly don't get rain anymore. Maybe things are different where you are.

Cygnus, thanks for correcting me on the ethanol mixture issue. Bottom line, though you can run ethanol on a non-flex fuel car, some additional tweaking is needed to take full advantage of it.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Yes I suspect its going to harder and harder to start. Even in the 50's it needs about 15 secs of cranking to get going.

But like with my Scout I got it to start last year with a 50/50 mix on a carb at about 20 degrees.

As far as the OBD2 comments I would say yes reseting the computer will reset the longterm LT and shortterm ST knock tables and some of the O2 tables.

I might try a ECU reset on mine but I don't think it does much. I loose my hot idle after that for about 30 miles just gets on my nerves.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Honda e85 cold start 27 degrees - YouTube

put this up 27 degree start up. Wideband says its pretty lean maybe 1.3-1.35 lambda with the fuel pressure reg. line plugged. Car takes about 2 mins to settle in to a regular idle. it always does those 2 dips in the idle in the first minute of cold start.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I've owned gas powered Hondas that started worse in the same conditions. That's pretty sweet. Thanks for sharing.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Thinking maybe go full e85 by spring.

Trying to come up with a way to test the pulse width modulation of my 250cc injectors. Seems like a Fluke 88v is the way to go.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Just in time for the big crash in oil prices. LOL.

Good luck with the experiment, keep us posted on how it goes.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Just in time for the big crash in oil prices. LOL.

Good luck with the experiment, keep us posted on how it goes.

I cant believe we might be off Arab oil in my lifetime. I never thought it happen.

Proposed Energy Policy . Jimmy Carter . WGBH American Experience | PBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tPePpMxJaA
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 11-26-2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: added youtube link for those who cant read.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Honda e85 cold start 27 degrees - YouTube

put this up 27 degree start up. Wideband says its pretty lean maybe 1.3-1.35 lambda with the fuel pressure reg. line plugged. Car takes about 2 mins to settle in to a regular idle. it always does those 2 dips in the idle in the first minute of cold start.
    Cold idle 70 percent gas - YouTube
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I cant believe we might be off Arab oil in my lifetime. I never thought it happen.

Proposed Energy Policy . Jimmy Carter . WGBH American Experience | PBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tPePpMxJaA
    What, from shale oil? We might get free of Saudi oil for a few weeks before 2025. Then it's all going to fall apart. The shale "miracle" is greatly exaggerated. Most of those guys are already hurting with oil down to $60/bbl. They are highly leveraged. The bankers are waiting in the wings to run in and grab all the hard assets and mineral rights after they go belly-up. The Saudis run the oil market and they can push the price down to starve out all their competition. Remember that in Saudi Arabia, you can hammer a pipe into the ground in your back yard and oil will come out of it. Nobody else in the world can produce oil as cheaply. The same thing happened in the '90s. The Saudis were having trouble controlling OPEC, so they drove the price down until everyone else hit the skids. They kept their control and we got a decade to enjoy driving around in gas-guzzling SUVs.

Everybody wins, right? At least until our tap water catches fire.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

What, from shale oil? We might get free of Saudi oil for a few weeks before 2025. Then it's all going to fall apart. The shale "miracle" is greatly exaggerated. Most of those guys are already hurting with oil down to $60/bbl. They are highly leveraged. The bankers are waiting in the wings to run in and grab all the hard assets and mineral rights after they go belly-up. The Saudis run the oil market and they can push the price down to starve out all their competition. Remember that in Saudi Arabia, you can hammer a pipe into the ground in your back yard and oil will come out of it. Nobody else in the world can produce oil as cheaply. The same thing happened in the '90s. The Saudis were having trouble controlling OPEC, so they drove the price down until everyone else hit the skids. They kept their control and we got a decade to enjoy driving around in gas-guzzling SUVs.

a mate in Canada has relatives in the oil business, and from various talks with him, I've come to the conclusion that even at current rate of growth, there is enough easy oil to keep the world going for another 100 odd years before they have to start into the oil sand which is good for another 100 odd years.
    New Zealand has enough oil reserves to supply the world for best part of the next century, the problem is there are no oil rigs that can handle the sea conditions to drill it.
    every one thinks the north sea is rough, that's a mill pond compared to the conditions down here.
    there is plenty of oil out there for at least 200 years.
    screw hybrids and electric cars, gimme nasty fuel guzzling monsters

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Really I think its mostly just from low usage on our part. We can pull oil out of the ground conventional here in the US at about 40$ barrel. Saudis are trying to squeeze out some of the suppliers but i really think this is it. OPEC meets today

Buying from Mexico and Canada doesn't bother me.

The shale, oil tar sands is done at about 70-72$ a barrel. So the Keystone pipeline is done.

For the USA our back pocket JIC fuel is coal. Prolly still have 1000 years left of that stuff.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Really I think its mostly just from low usage on our part. We can pull oil out of the ground conventional here in the US at about 40$ barrel. Saudis are trying to squeeze out some of the suppliers but i really think this is it. OPEC meets today

Buying from Mexico and Canada doesn't bother me.

The shale, oil tar sands is done at about 70-72$ a barrel. So the Keystone pipeline is done.

For the USA our back pocket JIC fuel is coal. Prolly still have 1000 years left of that stuff.
    The low usage is China's. Their economy is in full collapse from what I'm reading.

The Saudis can pump oil for $1/bbl. from what I've heard, so it's 1/40th the cost of what we can do here. There really isn't any competition for them. They sent oil prices to $15/bbl. in the '90s, so there's lots more downside ahead. What's more, the Saudis are pumping "light, sweet crude" whereas everyone else is pumping something much less desirable. The tar sands oil doesn't come close to the quality of Saudi oil and sells at a big discount.

The supply of oil has never been in question. There's plenty of it. It's just a question of how much we'll pay to get it. As oil prices rise, they choke off economic activity. Thus, when the price of extraction is high, it makes more sense to leave it in the ground, especially when you don't have any assurance that the Saudis won't swoop in and wreck your market.

The larger question for me is this: why do we tolerate a monopoly on oil by the oil majors? Why are there all these stories about innovators who develop fuel-saving/alternative fuel technologies, only to see some oil major show up, buy it from them and then deep-six it? Why do the innovators who refuse to sell often die under mysterious circumstances? Why are there all these stories about people who bought big, gas-guzzling V8s off the showroom floor in the '70s that mystifyingly got 100 MPG? After they bragged to all their friends about it, the automaker showed up to replace their carburetor, after which they got the same mileage as everyone else. How is it that there have been no advances in fuel technology since the 19th century? Why is 19th century, internal combustion technology still at the heart of every automobile? These are the issues that lie at the core of the peak oil/global warming/climate change problem and no one ever asks them. This frustrates me. We spend our time arguing about irrelevancies.

I have to ask: is oil the ONLY way to fuel civilization? Of course not. There are all kinds of other fuel sources. Tesla was patenting free-energy technologies in the early 20th century. He was working on free, green, wireless electricity for everyone before JP Morgan destroyed him. Somehow that has all been forgotten. No further research has been done. The media never asks about it. Every time there is an oil price spike, there follows a flurry of "research" into all kinds of so-called alternative technologies; solar, wind, geothermal and a bunch of other flawed and useless crap. After that, we get a bunch of propaganda about how none of it is viable. A little bit of the most unworkable stuff gets released to the public, amid great fanfare, then everything goes back to the way it was.

For my part, I don't want any more dirty, destructive fuels. I refuse to believe that we can't make advances in fuel technology, when every other technology has leapt ahead. I call BS on all of it.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 LXi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfE...ature=youtu.be

Added this one also. Just shows the wideband numbers at idle with and with out the FPR hooked up.
    Now running E85.