Thread: Car dies while driving down the road pull over and it will just start back up it acts

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx-i 5 speed

Car dies while driving down the road pull over and it will just start back up it acts

1989 honda accord dx

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 LX Sedan

Re: Car dies while driving down the road pull over and it will just start back up it

Probably your fuel pump going bad. Mine did the same thing and it drove me nuts for about six months until the fuel pump finally died and I could diagnose it and fix it. After the fuel pump was replaced, it took care of the issue. Mine would start right back up also and it makes troubleshooting it impossible when it fixes itself and runs like nothing ever happened.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: Car dies while driving down the road pull over and it will just start back up it

sounds like the fuel pump or the fuel pump safety relay, I've had both cause the same problem, have you changed your fuel filters? cheap possible fix, and you don't lose anything by having clean filters, there are two on your car, one under the car in front of the drivers side rear wheel, and one at the carb itself,

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

what happened to my fuel pump safety relay, I figured out, is it was getting hot, then it would cut power to the pump, wait a few minutes for it to cool, and it would start back up, they are solid state, so the electronics were going out, I got a can of electronic circuit chiller, sprayed it the next time it shut off, and it started right back up, a simple relay swap fixed it, both it and a pump failing will act the same way.You don't have someone mad at you do you? common revenge trick used to be stuffing a piece of plastic sheeting in the tank, it will float to the pump sock,block it, and make the car stall, when the pump shuts off, it floats away, and repeat. It will drive someone nuts trying to figure out whats wrong