Thread: Help Car just starts to die!

Vehicle
    well i took 2 lx accords 1-86,1-88;and took 1-86LXI and made a very fast 86 four door lxi

Unhappy Help Car just starts to die!

PLEASE Help I'm SO VERY LOST HERE!
    ok here's whats up one of my cars (an 86 lx) is running great one min and not the next. what it does is you can be going down the road at any speed and after so long about 30-45 min into the drive it will just lose power the rpms drop and it will idel at 1/4 rpm but never die WTF i have replaced my spark plugs and read both my Chilton and my haynes but they aren't any help if you know or have an idea of what to check please HELP!
    2Phast

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX Coupe
    check your fuel filters....
    and fuel pressure...

um i dont have a lxi so i dont know to many of the probable causes on this case...others with the lxi's will ...

BEn
    89 Accord 2dr Coupe..not a hatchback!...5speed..sunroof..spoiler..custom carb intake..custom exhaust..hood scoop....312000km

1988starter
    Yea fuel filters and air filter also check your ignition coil but it sounds fuel related.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    The rpm drops while in gear? What happens if you floor it then?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx
    Change fuel filter if you haven't in a while (it's good to do even if this isn't the problem and it's $15).

Then check the resistance of your wires and do a check of your coil. Check the connections at the coil.

Check to see that your dist cap and rotor aren't bad (but this probably isn't the problem).

If it's not one of those things then I'd say check to see that your electrical connections at the fuel pump are good.

If they are, and your fuel pump filter isn't totally clogged for some reason, then I'd say it's either your fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. You can buy a gauge to do a fuel pressure check, and there is a procedure for it in the shop manual:

http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

Oh, duh, check vacuum connection @ fuel pressure regulator.

-Greg

LX User
    These are "TEXTBOOK" fuel problems. I agree with GREG on lxi's always keep fresh fuel filters on a fuel injected engine because the holes in the injector tips are smaller in diameter then hairs on your head. Also a semi-plugged fuel filter could put a undue strain on your fuel pump.