Thread: Newbie with tricky problem

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 accord lx-I

Newbie with tricky problem

Hello everyone I've got a lot of help from this forum. But recently my newest problem can't be found. I got my 86 accord accord lx-I for a smoking deal (free). My brother bought it with good intentions but gave up after a couple problems. At first it wouldn't run for more then a few minutes. Found it to be the tw sensor. Somehow the sensors were backwards. As in tw and fan control temp sensor. So after a few repairs ie new main relay dizzy cap rotor plugs wires. It ran like a top. Until I hit the highway. Power cut in and out and the exhaust would glow red. Led me to believe the cat was plugged. So I got rid of it. We don't need it where I live. Still have the same issue. The exhaust will glow red and obviously run like crap at highway speed. In town it runs great. But if I unplug the tw sensor it will cruise down the highway like a new car. Could my new tw sensor be to blame? Could it be o2 sensor? I'm at a loss and being new to Hondas doesn't help. And the only code it has is an intermittent vss code. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i 2 Door Coupe 5 Speed

Re: Newbie with tricky problem

Quote Originally Posted by Uglyaccord View Post
    Hello everyone I've got a lot of help from this forum. But recently my newest problem can't be found. I got my 86 accord accord lx-I for a smoking deal (free). My brother bought it with good intentions but gave up after a couple problems. At first it wouldn't run for more then a few minutes. Found it to be the tw sensor. Somehow the sensors were backwards. As in tw and fan control temp sensor. So after a few repairs ie new main relay dizzy cap rotor plugs wires. It ran like a top. Until I hit the highway. Power cut in and out and the exhaust would glow red. Led me to believe the cat was plugged. So I got rid of it. We don't need it where I live. Still have the same issue. The exhaust will glow red and obviously run like crap at highway speed. In town it runs great. But if I unplug the tw sensor it will cruise down the highway like a new car. Could my new tw sensor be to blame? Could it be o2 sensor? I'm at a loss and being new to Hondas doesn't help. And the only code it has is an intermittent vss code. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
    Well, from given details, I would be pretty sure the issue is related to the fuel injection system wiring or the ECU since that TW sensor only feeds data to the ECU. Could possibly be some kind of short in the wiring or something but it is almost certainly an electrical problem in the fuel injection system. Sounds to me like it is running really lean. If it is truly a 1986 model Accord, Code 17 (VSS) IS NOT a valid code because the input was not provided to the ECU until the 1988 model year, therefore it may be a very good indication that the ECU has failed, which would certainly be able to cause this issue. Recheck to make sure the ECU is indeed flashing code 17 and if it is replace the ECU with a known good unit and retest. Hope this helps.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 accord lx-I

17 continuos flashed no pauses. What ecu's are compatible?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

https://www.3geez.com/forum/efi-tech/...tw-sensor.html

give this a read before you go looking for an ECU.

I would also check the timing belt/cam and crank shaft are aligned properly at TDC.

Glowing exhaust could mean timing very retarded,or a very lean condition.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!