Thread: Transmission

Transmission

When it scratches while you shift on an automatic transmission, does that means it just needs transmission fluid? Or the tranny is messed up?

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

Re: Transmission

I would be careful. Check the fluid, and take note of the color. If it is empty then the transmission is probably gone already. If the fluid is red then i would drain it and look for anything not normal. If its black or dark red then i would leave it alone. Changing fluid in an automatic transmission that had gone hundreds of thousands of miles on the same fluid may need the dirty fluid to not slip. My wife had a 2000 Buick that never had its fluid changed. Shifted like crap, changed the fluid, major transmission slippage.

I, honestly, would be looking for a tranny at a salvage yard if i heard something like that.
    Last edited by running strong; 09-05-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Not sure what you mean by scratching. Thats not something i've heard before. I would make sure its actually the transmission and not something like the driveshaft or something like the disk brake dust shield scraping the brake disk. Check your tranny fluid, ammount and color and report back.

I disagree about not changing the fluid, if you changed the fluid and the tranny was worse than there was something wrong with your tranny in the first place, infact it should probably have been changed a long time ago to prevent the damage. Automatic tranny fluid will get dirty because there are clutches in there that wear a little over time and gets in the fluid, plus the tranny fluid looses some of its lubrication properties over time with the constant heat up and cool down.

I got a auto tranny for sale if you need one too.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

That's what i was saying. The old tranny that never had a fluid change may need the dirt and grime and friction to work properly. If the tranny needs the friction to actually shift, then changing the fluid takes that friction away.

The fluid was never changed before we bought the car. I changed the fluid and the tranny started slipping like mad. Put the old fluid back in and the tranny lasted five years before dying. That was the advice that the tranny shop gave me because rebuilding the tranny was out of the question.

This could be an isolated incident. The car was 11 years newer and made by a different company.

Ultimately its up to you. At the very least i would save the old fluid, just in case.

It's not scratching, it sounds similar to a grind. Everyone keeps saying just put new traansmissikn fluid &I should be fine. I'll check back in with you guys.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

I'm not sure if this is the same thing we are talking about , but when you go from park to reverse and then drive it makes a crunch or gear crunching sound? I had a similar problem on my 87 I last had before the transmission gave out. It lasted about 40-50k miles ( after it started so it failed at about 170K) before the 4th band went and sun shell gear (caused the grinding) went.
    Last edited by gp02a0083; 09-18-2014 at 06:58 AM.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by running strong View Post
    That's what i was saying. The old tranny that never had a fluid change may need the dirt and grime and friction to work properly. If the tranny needs the friction to actually shift, then changing the fluid takes that friction away.

The fluid was never changed before we bought the car. I changed the fluid and the tranny started slipping like mad. Put the old fluid back in and the tranny lasted five years before dying. That was the advice that the tranny shop gave me because rebuilding the tranny was out of the question.

This could be an isolated incident. The car was 11 years newer and made by a different company.

Ultimately its up to you. At the very least i would save the old fluid, just in case.
    OK, I got you, i thought you were advising to never change the fluid in any car. For this case saving the old fluid would be a good idea.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Putting the old fluid back is a new one to me.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by gp02a0083 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the same thing we are talking about , but when you go from park to reverse and then drive it makes a crunch or gear crunching sound? I had a similar problem on my 87 I last had before the transmission gave out. It lasted about 40-50k miles before the 4th band went and sun shell gear (caused the grinding) went.
    I have the same crunch going from P to R and vice versa. Looks like my transmission is acting funny now too. Randomly takes forever to shift and sounds like its slipping sometimes.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Putting the old fluid back is a new one to me.
    Instead of "If it aint broke don't fix it" this case may be "If its really broke don't fix it."

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    I have the same crunch going from P to R and vice versa. Looks like my transmission is acting funny now too. Randomly takes forever to shift and sounds like its slipping sometimes.
    yah my 87 lasted for about a year or two like that, I was running Dex III in it at the time, lasted to 170k then the 4th band gave out and sun shell was cracked and the sun gears were shot. From what the transmission guy told me it was the sun gear / shell making this sound. Since then I only use AFT-Z1 , I have about 3 cases stock piled being the DW-1 appears to cause premature failure as well.

3Geez resident body man

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Find 5Speed trans A2K5>A2Q5/swap!
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I cant stress enough how important it is to have the dam tv cable adjusted and moving freely, it can destroy the tranny if its not in tbe sweet spot.
    And sob clunking couldnt just couldnt be a fuggin cir clip not too snug on an inner cv axle yoke could it hell no it wouldnt pitch in and out when changing directions.
    hope you guys get more optimistic before condeming parts.
    You can make even minor changes like tire size, tune up, seasonal fuel mixtures, engine mods AND THE TV CABLE will need tweeking. For those 86-87 lxi cars the cable can get corroded up by the plenum/throttle linkage area and hang up as well.
    if the cable comes loose out of the lever down at the tranny it will clunk chunk not go in right gear totally gorilla dooky chuck.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 12-12-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Vehicle

Wtf did I just read/\
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

make sure the cable is adjusted properly. my tranny would crunch too going from park to reverse. It ended up being the adjustment cable.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterwhite89 View Post
    Wtf did I just read/\
    Sarcasm placard wasn't displayed, my bad

Vehicle

Lol.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

Hahaha, ah man.

I always get a click/crunch shifting out of reverse, but only once each start up. R to P or R to D. I say a 5 Speed swap is the only true fix, I'm too stupid/lazy to try and understand every automatic I ever own, I'd rather just have to do the occasional clutch replacement.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by 2oodoor View Post
    I cant stress enough how important it is to have the dam tv cable adjusted and moving freely, it can destroy the tranny if its not in tbe sweet spot.
    For those 86-87 lxi cars the cable can get corroded up by the plenum/throttle linkage area and hang up as well.
    if the cable comes loose out of the lever down at the tranny it will clunk chunk not go in right gear totally gorilla dooky chuck.
    I can vouch that my 87 lxi had some bs issue with the tv cable hanging or sticking, i tried adjusting it and even had my father look at it. we both ended up with the same result. Still had the same thing happen after the trans was rebuilt.

3Geez resident body man