Thread: Tophat/shock question

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 lxi

Tophat/shock question

Hey guys had a few questions, hopefully someone can help me out.

Last few weeks been doing searching and reading on 3geez about extended hats and prolonging shock life on a lowered car. There were a few things i saw contradicting info about and one thing I just didnt see asked or answered, so here it is.

When doing the extended top hats with oe civic shocks for the front... is there a reason to use the civic shocks other than the wider range of options for civic parts? Reason I ask is, I will be doing extended hats on the front with a stock strut and would like to stick with a 3g accord one. Will it just not work the way it mounts or is there some other reason im missing as to why its being done with a civic one and would an accord one bolt up just the same if i follow the tophat mod guide? Couldnt seem to find any info on this one.

And the other i had that i seen different answers to is, using the 88-91 civic rear shock as a direct bolt on replacement without modification. My understanding is that they are a few inches shorter and that is what im looking for. But in my searching ive seen some that say they have used them and other saying it wouldnt work. So if someone could clear that up for me id appreciate it.

A little info if it will help, 87 lxi sedan. Lowered approximately 3.5 inches on inexpensive coil sleeves. shocks are completely gone. Not looking for performance or tracking purposes. Just trying to fix this daily driver thats bouncing down the road.
    Last edited by redwon89; 09-06-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Re: Tophat/shock question

The reason for civic shocks up front is because there wasn't any performance stuff for the Accord back then and people were experimenting with the civic stuff. Extended top hats are there because the civic shocks are way longer than the Accord and using the extended top hats to regain the stock travel. That and using the stock Accord shocks when you're slammed to regain the travel that was lost so yes, you can reuse the Accord shocks with the extended top hats just fine.

Can't help with the rears though.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 lxi

thanks man. anyone have any idea about the rears?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

cheddasauto.com he has rear top hats for our car. I test fit them on my car. Im running EF rear shocks and you dont need to run rear top hats because the shock is shorter just need a longer spring or adjustable coilovers.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned