Thread: Any information on automatic shift kit????

Vehicle
    87 prelude

Any information on automatic shift kit????

Hey all, i was wanting to know if anyone has any information on a do it yourself shift kitting for our automatic transmissions. thanks.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: Any information on automatic shift kit????

a shift kit for these autos? no such thing they suck, do a manual conversion

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

It has been said that 89 model trannys are improved but as for shift kits no there is no valve body plate mod but you can fine tune your throttle pressure control valve cable to match your engine tune/tire wheel.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by 87turbolude View Post
    Hey all, i was wanting to know if anyone has any information on a do it yourself shift kitting for our automatic transmissions. thanks.
    http://www.hecreman.com/img/webcatalog.pdf

had my eye on this once. Someone on here used them I think.

Howard Engineering Corporation - Remanufactured Driveline Components
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle

it's well worth the effort to change this car to a manual, it changes the entire personality of the car, it's straight forward, not like on a civic, where you are changing crap like the throttle body, the cars were designed around a manual, and most of them had one, the automatic is for people who can't drive, it's different today with everyone wanting a slushbox, I got to test drive one I almost bought to convert once, and having always driven one with a manual, I though something was wrong with the car, it was awful.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 09-17-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Good grief, Lost. The autos in these cars are quite respectable. They are very responsive, transfer power well and last for several hundred thousand miles. If you have to have an auto, these are the ones to have.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Good grief, Lost. The autos in these cars are quite respectable. They are very responsive, transfer power well and last for several hundred thousand miles. If you have to have an auto, these are the ones to have.
    every time I drive in one it always feels like the car is under powered and bogging down, I guess I'm used to Japanese cars with manual transmissions, in the 80's the manual was the one everyone wanted, Hondas were known for having excellent manual transmissions, but agree on lasting a long time, when When Honda went to the electronically controlled automatics, is when they started having a lot of issues

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

No argument there. They are still auto boxes. Very good auto boxes, but auto boxes nonetheless. I definitely won't be swapping my MT back to auto.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    87 prelude

Well ive actually have already done a 5 speed swap in my car, but i ended up throwing an automatic back in it just recently, because i blew the differential out of the 5 speed and it ended up messing up my clutch pressure plate so it was just the cheapest way for me to go. But this automatic i just put in here sucks worse then any of the other ones ive had and it only has 100,000 miles on it compared to my other ones that had nearly 300,000 miles. But i put ford type F trans fluid in it thinking it might help it shift better, and im wondering if thats why its slips in every gear but 2nd gear.
    Also another question i have is, i didnt hook up the tranny cable to the throttle, could that be causing it to slip so bad when i floor it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear???

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 87turbolude View Post
    Well ive actually have already done a 5 speed swap in my car, but i ended up throwing an automatic back in it just recently, because i blew the differential out of the 5 speed and it ended up messing up my clutch pressure plate so it was just the cheapest way for me to go. But this automatic i just put in here sucks worse then any of the other ones ive had and it only has 100,000 miles on it compared to my other ones that had nearly 300,000 miles. But i put ford type F trans fluid in it thinking it might help it shift better, and im wondering if thats why its slips in every gear but 2nd gear.
    Also another question i have is, i didnt hook up the tranny cable to the throttle, could that be causing it to slip so bad when i floor it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear???
    if you dont have the cable hooked up, it's not going to downshift right

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

I never really had a problem with these automatics as long as they are maintained and fluid is changed every 30k.
    First off the older honda slush boxes are a bit more sensitive to the fluid you use, if anything take the type F out of it and put some newer dextron in it being that the ATF-z1 is hard to come by.
    Secondly the cable in question should be re-connected, it's not a downshift cable it is called a TV or throttle valve cable, this needs to be adjusted correctly so that it can properly control the line pressure, part throttle downshifting, even shift points.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body