Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 81' Accord .. The Stanceformation

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Re: 81' Accord .. The Stanceformation

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    The boot in the picture is just a dust cover that wraps around the seal. The seal itself is a hard plastic collar that seats in the case. There's no stretching it; only breaking. The shift shaft gets pushed through the seal and bolted to the selector mechanism inside the trans. Then the rest of the trans, mainshafts, shift forks, etc. get built around it. I don't often fault Honda's designs, but this one was far less than ideal. Fortunately, the seal doesn't often go bad like you see there.
    I got the replacement seal from Honda, and YES it is a HARD plastic collar like you stated. There is no stretching it. Only breaking. So if thats the case, how do i go about replacing it?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

You do a complete teardown of the trans. All the way down to the shift linkage, which is much closer to the bottom than the top. Of course, if you're going to go to all that trouble, you might as well do a complete overhaul. Disassemble the shafts, check tolerances, replace all bad parts, clean thoroughly and reassemble with new gaskets, seals and syncros. It's not anything you'll get done in a weekend.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

HOLY CRAP!! i wonder how much that will cost at a trans shop? i don't even wanna attempt to do it D:

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Probably not as much as you expect but finding a shop that would do it have a learning curve or at least interesting.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Or you just drive it and check the oil level regularly.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    81 Hatch & 80 Sedan

or you can buy my spare tranny for parts and take it apart to see how it all works. I'll give you a deal.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

QUICK UPDATE: my cv axles came in today.. stoked. And all my wheel bearings, hubs, and rotors will be here tomorrow to do my 4x100 lug conversion! I really hope and pray this works the FIRST time. I will be starting a HOW TO: for the 4x100 lug conversion (pics included). I enjoyed the DISCUSSION but i want to help everyone and have just a straight foward how-to-guide to do it.

Will have pics of all the parts and parts numbers tomorrow!

Last edited by babyhonduhdrama; 12-02-2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: because

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

So i woke up this morning to check and see if my FEDEX delivery had made it into my city so that i would know it would be here today.. well wouldn't you know it got delayed. Gonna be tomorrow before i get the other parts

where did you order cv axles?
    Using Tapatalk

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

So unpacked everything that i have currently stocked up on.. i got so many things that i cannot wait to put on my car.

PARTS LIST: Exedy clutch with pressure plate and throwout bearing, (3) valve cover gaskets, new pistons, retainers, brass floats, valve seals, speedometer cable, slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, and CV axles. And then the required parts for the 4x100 lug conversion on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by 89akord View Post
    where did you order cv axles?
    Oh and 89akord, i ordered them from Autozone.
    Last edited by babyhonduhdrama; 12-04-2014 at 10:28 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

So i dropped my car off today at a local muffler shop because when i originally bought it, the exhaust had MAJOR holes in the piping and muffler.. So i had a new one put on and i immediately noticed the difference. My gas milage has increases and it sounds SO MUCH BETTER!

!Moar Pics!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Much nicer!
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

I woke up this morning and ran into a bit of a problem.. for the past month or so, I have been reading the forums making sure I got every correct part I needed to do the 4x100 lug conversion for my accord. I got all the FRONT parts, and then it was time to order all the rear parts. It came to my knowledge by reading.. that to do the disc conversion on the rear, I would need to acquire some parts from a 2nd gen Prelude (thanks to 2ndGenGuy). So i ordered the parts. New Rotors, bearings, calipers, and such...

And then the problem arose.
    I need the LEFT and RIGHT Rear Caliper Mounting Bracket as show below: Part#5 and #6

So i began to search. I went to Honda Parts at Honda Parts Now | Genuine OEM Honda Auto Parts since they are pretty good at sourcing OEM parts. NO LUCK. they stated the bracket was discontinued and could not be ordered. So they I preceded to call my dealership (as well as every other Honda dealership within 100 miles). Once again, NO LUCK. Ebay? Nope. Trying to find the prelude on craigslist? Nope.

My last and final thing I could think of was to.. since i noticed there was a lot of old school Honda's in the Northwest (and I live in the Southeast). I searched some junkyard inventories in Seattle, Washington and made a couple of calls. And what do you know? they had (3) 2nd gen preludes in this one junkyard. They gave me the number to a guy who is a local parts puller. He goes around pulling parts for people and sending them. So I call him, of course. And low and behold, he was actually in THAT VERY junkyard at the time i called him. 20 mins later, i get a text from him with this..

BOOM! Caliper Mounting Brackets Acquired. I paypal'ed the guy and they should be here on Friday or Saturday.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

HAHA i just went back and resized all my images because they were too big and getting on my nerves reading my own thread.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Wow, the bills would certainly add up frighteningly buying so much at once but glad you were able to get it all.
    I experimented with some other front brake options recently that I should document for peoples, though still think the current ideas are best for the effort.
    I had to replace my rear wheel bearings so also removed and traced the outline of my parking brake cable adapter for future copies, though have not got around to drawing it up properly on cad yet..
    I must get some more front hubs from the wrecker since I wouldn't hold much hope getting them new here.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Wow, the bills would certainly add up frighteningly buying so much at once but glad you were able to get it all.
    Yeah, it sounds like the bills keep racking up 79cord, but honestly.. i wanted to buy a couple of things and do some of it all at once. Believe me though, I had read some of the other threads MULTIPLE times before I considered spending my money to get the stuff I have got already. It will all be worth it in the end.

Vehicle

Buying new rather than visiting a wrecker might mean missing out on some peripheral bits that we took for granted as part of the usual assembly, such as those mounting brackets, disc backing/dust plates, wheel nuts, & you probably need slightly longer rear brake hoses (I used the Prelude ones).
    Last edited by 79cord; 12-10-2014 at 10:34 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Buying new rather than visiting a wrecker might mean missing out on some peripheral bits that we took for granted as part of the usual assembly, such as those mounting brackets, disc backing/dust plates, wheel nuts, & you probably need slightly longer rear brake hoses (I used the Prelude ones).
    I didn't miss out on anything.. i got the mounting brackets, wheel nuts, and new brake hoses (from the Prelude ) Only thing i did not get ahold of was the dust plates.

SHES GOING UNDER THE KNIFE NEXT WEEK ON MY OFF DAY!!!!!!
    Last edited by babyhonduhdrama; 12-12-2014 at 07:49 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

UPDATE AS OF 12-12-2014
    So the FedEx truck showed up to my work today and dropped off my prelude parts for the rear. YES! Can't wait to get this stuff installed.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

UPDATE AS OF 12-13-2014
    I was driving home from work today and stopped by the gas station to get a drink.. and the CLUTCH went COMPLETELY out. I pressed the gas and the car just revved up and didn't move at all. GOD, it smelled so bad. Seriously smelled like a mix between burning rubber and a dying cat So i called my friend up and while I waited on him, the clutch cooled down enough for me to move. He followed me to the shop and we began tearing the car down. I wanted to wait till my off days from work to get started on this, but hey.. good a time as any. We pulled all the suspension off the front and the rear. Drained the radiator and the transmission of the fluids. And disconnected quite a bit of stuff. Removed the starter. Man, it has been a LONG day.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

UPDATE AS OF 12-16-2014
    Today was my off day from work so gives me the whole day to work on the stuff i need to get done before I go back to work on Thursday. So, i've spent most of today assembling the rear disc conversion from the 2G Prelude DX (1985). I also pressed in my front hubs and removed my valve cover since it was severely leaking. It was a real pain getting some of the rear brake parts on the car since some of the new brackets were in the way.

2G Prelude caliper mounting brackets mounted on the 1G accord spindle. Straight plug and play

Look how close the lower caliper bolt is to the lower control arm bolt. It was semi-difficult to get this one tightened up but nothing than small fingers and a 14mm wrench can't fix. LOL

Here's the 1G accord e-brake bracket welded to the Prelude's e-brake bracket.

and the last thing i got completed. the valve cover gasket. I cleaned it in a brake parts bath machine (idk what its really called lol) and then took a dye grinder with a wire wheel brush to get all the old paint off and give it this clean chrome look. Now just have to decide if I wanna paint it or just clear it and leave it chrome.

I got a lot completed today. I will be pulling the transmission tomorrow to fix the clutch and do the rest of my 4x100 conversion on the front. Once i am finished, I'll be posting a "new thread" with the HOW TO: for the conversion.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

So me and my friend Thomas got the transmission out the accord. And of course, once i had the clutch out.. it was eaten alive. God, was it terrible. But enough said. Here's the pics.

As you can see, there was pretty much nothing left of my clutch. No wonder I couldn't make it up a hill for nothing. So i replaced it with a stock EXEDY clutch (that came with a pressure plate and throwout bearing) I got off of eBay and also took my flywheel to CarQuest and had it resurfaced.

NEXT DAY
    Well the new clutch is back in and it feels amazing. Smooth shifting. Also, my 4x100 lug conversion for the accord is complete. and I finished it off with a decent set of 4WS Prelude wheels. You can find the full conversion thread here >>>

https://www.3geez.com/forum/1geez-acc...sc-brakes.html

Now I have to figure out what I want to do next. hmm??

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Glad to see the car getting so much LOVE!
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Glad to see the car getting so much LOVE!
    Well I wanted it to be my own. And after reading a lot of Hazwan's posts and threads (and that of some other people).. It inspired me that you can bring these back from the dead.

Vehicle

Congratulations. Let the wheel fun begin.
    The first 4x100 wheels on mine were '88 4ws Prelude steel wheels, though were soon replaced with some nicer Integra alloys. Prelude alloy wheels would look very sharp upon an old Accord!
    I forgot to say how tempted I am to dump my rear muffler for a resonator like yours, was originally worried it might be a bit too loud (mine doesn't had Cat either), I really must give it a go.. along with lightening a flywheel ('77 feels much revvier with its smaller factory flywheel).