Thread: 88 DX, 200k miles - buy?

Vehicle
    88 LX-i

Ok, what about this one?

K I need some input. I've been looking for another accord and went to look at several today. The last one I looked at was an 88 Dx with 200k miles and the girl is asking for $2300. She agreed to let me have it for $2000 but I thought I'd come back and ask you guys what you thought. Should I buy it?

It looks pretty clean, the upholstery was done soem time ago, it drives well and it's got a nice stereo in it. There is a dent by the door handle on the passenger's side where the door was slammed one too many times on the seat belt buckle. There are some tiny (like pencil eraser size) spots by the moonroof where it's started to rust but just barely. Uhm...what else....that's all I can remember I think. Oh yeah and it's a 2 door, the back little side windows have tint that's bubblilng all over the place (blah!). I know all that stuff is fixable soooo...i dunno. Gimme input!!!
    Last edited by Maydnaella; 05-20-2002 at 10:55 AM.
    "Citius, Altius, Fortius"
    -Aella

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    I'm not quite sure what prices are like around there but I think $2000 for an 88 DX with 200K sounds a little high. What were the asking prices and condition of the other cars you looked at??
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    88 LX-i
    One was an 89 Sei for $1800 but the car was in horrible condition. I can't remember the miles. I did look at another 89 Lx and the guy was asking $2000 also and I think it had something like 120k. The condition was pretty nice too. We didn't take that one for a cruise though. I guess that one is an option as well. I saw a really beautiful white 89 LX for $3000 but I don't have that much to spend. :-P
    Two others were 89 Lxi 168k for $2800 and 89 LX 182K for $2200

That 88Dx had the transmission done I think she said like 2 years ago and just recently had the brakes done too. She said other than that it works just fine?
    -Aella

SEi User
    that seems a little high for a DX, i got my 89 lxi in great condition for $1800...

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-I
    Yo, 200K ain't nothin.. My 86 LX-I has 240,000 on it and runs great, well with the about 1200 I've put into performance mods it runs awsome.. hehe. but for an 88 2 grand is too much.
    I got my 86 for 600 bucks. I wouldn't pay anymore than
    1600 for it and that is if the car is near mint condition.

TopGunGJ
    Life is like racing you either win or loose, theres nothing in the middle.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    was an 89 coupe Lxi, but now is an 89 dodge colt hatch with a GST under the hood :)
    Hey aella...u want my car? im still selling it...my last buyer backed out and bought a freakin buick instead ...im tryin to get $1500 for mine....133K miles....89 Lxi 5-speed...clean exterior and interior, stereo, good tires and all that...new axles, new front crank seal and tranny seals, and im puttin in a new clutch this week (the 4 puck disc i had in there died....and the stock pressure plate seems to have taken a crap), a clutchmasters stage 1..which should be nice....so whaddya think?
    There are 3 things that are most important in life....eating, sleeping, and racing.

Vehicle
    2006 Mazda 6 S
    it's a DX and it has a moonroof? that's cool

Personally, I would try and get the LXI that has 168,000 on it. Of course you will have to drive it first to make sure it's in good shape..

If you do decide to get the DX one with 200k, make sure you try and get all the records (like receipts, invoices etc.) they have on the car.. Our cars can go over 200k no problem, but if they aren't maintained well, there could be problems soon after you buy it..
    I'm just like any other member on this board.......

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    I got my 88 LXi with 135K for 1500 and my 88 DX Hatch for $50
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

Vehicle
    88 LX-i
    Awww man I'd jump on that but I can't drive stick! :-P Thanks for the offer though!

Well , I really don't want to spend more than $2300 if I can avoid it. Strapped for cash. The whole engine compartment looked dirty but I don't know if that matters. The car belongs to this college girl who just wants to sell it. I have till tomorrow to decide I guess. She's getting it smogged so we'll see if it passes.
    -Aella

Vehicle
    86 Accord Exi
    ouch yeah for a dx thats pretty high i got my exi (lxi) for 1900 cdn......u should shop around more unless ur in a rush for a ride, but yeah keep looking through the buy and sell and stuff and hopefully u can find a sweet ride :pimp:
    86 Electron Blue Accord Exi
    3geez Member since October 31st 2001

Vehicle
    Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan
    Have you looked on autotrader.com? You can usually find quite a few on there, especially if you put 100 miles or so in the "distance" field.

Anyways, $2300 does sound a little high for a DX with 200k. If it was an LX-i/SE-i, it wouldn't be so far off. Personally I would try and find an LX-i/SE-i, simply because I like all the goodies and EFI, but that's just me :p Hard for me to say which one to get without seeing/driving/inspecting it myself, so all I can really say is just use good judgement. If anything makes you suspicious (sp?), take it to a mechanic to have it looked at before you buy it. Also, make sure and find out when/if the timing belt has been changed. Don't want that breakin' on ya!

Good luck 3G hunting! If you and Juan were a little closer to each other, you could make it into a little group effort thing, lol :p
    -Jared

Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 436,600 miles and still going strong!
    Black/Red '04 Honda CBR 600 F4i -256,100 miles and also counting quick

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    this little rust spots near the moon roof is not good ! it 'll take the shit out of you later ! like it does to me now !!

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord

Re: 88 DX, 200k miles - buy?

Originally posted by Maydnaella
    K I need some input. I've been looking for another accord and went to look at several today. The last one I looked at was an 88 Dx with 200k miles and the girl is asking for $2300. She agreed to let me have it for $2000 but I thought I'd come back and ask you guys what you thought. Should I buy it?

It looks pretty clean, the upholstery was done soem time ago, it drives well and it's got a nice stereo in it. There is a dent by the door handle on the passenger's side where the door was slammed one too many times on the seat belt buckle. There are some tiny (like pencil eraser size) spots by the moonroof where it's started to rust but just barely. Uhm...what else....that's all I can remember I think. Oh yeah and it's a 2 door, the back little side windows have tint that's bubblilng all over the place (blah!). I know all that stuff is fixable soooo...i dunno. Gimme input!!!
    Go to www.kellybluebook.com You can find out how much the blue book value is on that car or any car that you want to buy. I bought mine for $150 and the blue book value was over $2100. So check that out.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX Hatchback
    California prices are much higher yet I still think 2000 for that dx is too much. I paid 1400 for mine with 173,000 miles on is and in pristien condition. Except the torn seats. If its THAT nice pull out 1600 cash show it to her and say this is all I have. If she doesn't want it then that car wasn't meant to be yours if she takes it then WHALA! good luck!!!!!!!
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    88 LX-i
    Ok I told that girl I'd give her $1800 for her 88 Dx and she said no. I felt bad for her cause I'd already offered her $2000 before I talked to you guys but oh well.

So what about something like this? 88 Lxi
    -Aella

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    try ebay ! there are some nice and cheap cars out there !
    i think there was LXI coupe 88 for 1000 $

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX Hatchback
    86 accord dx wrecked

LX User
    Vehicle
    ACCORD LX
    May,

interesting how you say that the SE-I you saw was trashed, because i looked at one today for $1500 and it was thrassssheeeedd! why are sei's trash?

Hehe