Thread: does anyone w/ new guages still have WORKING FT gauge?

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

does anyone w/ new guages still have WORKING FT gauge?

i am looking to print out pauls gauges (thank you paul!!!)
    but i am worried about now having a working FT gauge...

what are the chances that it will still work? from what i hear its not good. but what can i do to help my chances or "make" them work?

any comments?

Banned
    The problem is cutting the hole in them the right size. They will work fine if you cut the hole right. I would recommend getting an exacto knife. Printed gauges dont work very well..i had some in my accord for 2 hours before I ripped them out because they never looked right no matter what I did.

Nate.

Banned
    The problem is cutting the hole in them the right size. They will work fine if you cut the hole right. I would recommend getting an exacto knife. Printed gauges dont work very well..i had some in my accord for 2 hours before I ripped them out because they never looked right no matter what I did.

Nate.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LXi Coupe w/Sunroof
    Originally posted by 89AccordNate

Nate.
    try using a high grade printer. i did and the guages i printed look sweet. yes i cheated, i used a color copier that is the only brand in the world that will print money perfectly aka Canon CLC900. its a 90,000 copier.
    ACT Stage 1, Short Ram Intake & 2.25 Dynomax custom catback w/4inch carbon fiber tip. Thats it for now.

Putting the paint back on after

SOMEONE STOLE MY PAINT!!!!!

Vehicle
    '98 civic ex

Re: does anyone w/ new guages still have WORKING FT gauge?

Originally posted by bobafett
    i am looking to print out pauls gauges (thank you paul!!!)
    but i am worried about now having a working FT gauge...

what are the chances that it will still work? from what i hear its not good. but what can i do to help my chances or "make" them work?

any comments?
    I broke my f/t needles last year when I tried to put gauges in, but I also twisted the needle back and forth to get it out (the axle that holds it in is really tiny). So when I put these in, I'm not touching the gauges, I'm just cutting slits and pushing the gauge down on top. So i'd recommend either cutting the slits and not touching the gauges at all (it probably won't look as nice though), or just risking it and slowly pulling straight up on the f/t needles. There have been many people on the board who have done this without having them break (but many who have broken them too), so just be really careful.
    -Ryan

Pure White 1988 DX Sedan

"It takes a big man to cry. And, an even bigger man to laugh at the big man crying"

Vehicle
    yeah i plan on taking them to my buddies house, and see if their photo printer makes them look good. if it doesnt, i will take it to kinkos or something.

btw, could you elaborate on the issue of cutting the holes the right size?

i have 86 so they dontmake gauges aftermarket that will work... i would have to have the automatic crap on the gauge...

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    I wanted to say just slide the gauges in. But your FT gauge is pointing out, so you can't do that. Good luck

Vehicle
    lol... heh the plot thickens....yeah i would have to cut a slit thru the whole gauge, like cut it in half...but that would look nasty. i think the only way to really do this right is to carefully pull off those needles i hope i dont break them!

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord LX-i Sedan
    the speedo needle an rpm needle are east to take off right?? So I don't have to worry about breakin em??
    -Scott
    88ancient

-Its not illegal until you get caught-

Vehicle
    '98 civic ex
    Originally posted by Scotts88WhiteLX-i
    the speedo needle an rpm needle are east to take off right?? So I don't have to worry about breakin em??
    The metal rod (or axle) on those is a lot thicker, so it'd be really hard to break them.
    -Ryan

Pure White 1988 DX Sedan

"It takes a big man to cry. And, an even bigger man to laugh at the big man crying"

Vehicle
    man why does my car have to be so difficult, none of the other cars have those outward FT needles..

oh well could be worse i'm sure...

Vehicle
    89 EX-i, 91 Civic dx, 88 Civic dx
    I cut the slits in my F/T gauges and slid them over but the ends where i cut them came up and touched the needles holding them in place. I know the temp gauge still works but Im not sure about the fuel gauge since it didnt move much at all. Either way Just make sure no part of the gauge is sticking up and touching the needles or they will stick. The Tach and speedo woked fine though.
    - Drive it like a Rental!
    My 89 Ex-i on Car Domain

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i (done for) 88 crx si 91 bmw, 93 lexus es300 project88dx accord
    man this really helps me out to does anybody have any pics pauls gauges installed on their car?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Originally posted by Scotts88WhiteLX-i
    Just slide the gauges through under the needles.