Thread: Polyurethane Suspension Bushing List and Install Tips

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

Polyurethane Suspension Bushing List and Install Tips

I haven't found a complete list for this and yes I searched. So here it is.

All of these are Prothane part numbers...

8907 Front lower control arm, lower shock bushing.

8210 Front lower control arm, where it connects to the subframe.

8903 Upper shock bushing, in the top hat. You cannot use the lower shock bushing that comes with this kit, you must use 8907.

Alternatively you can use the 8904 kit

8401 Sway bar end links

If you have the DX or LX you'll have an 18.5mm front sway bar, so you can use the 18mm EF sway bar body bushing which is part number 8-1106 and reuse the metal brackets.

If you have the LXi or SEi you'll have a 22.5mm sway bar, for this you can use the body sway bar bushing from a newer model Toyota Celica which uses a 22mm sway bar. This kit comes with new brackets and I'll edit this later with the part number.

8-1201 Front Strut Rod Bushings, this is that bar that bolts to the lower control arm and up to the front of the car under the radiator. If you have bad wheel hop, this is the most likely culprit.

For the rear:

Rear upper shock bushing

It was a pain in the ass to track down. The only one available is from energy suspension, its kit 16.8108. Its for the 96 prelude. Anything for the 97-01 WILL NOT WORK. Trust me I tried. This bushing will also, of course, work with Cheddas Auto rear extended top hats or the original OEM top hats.

8904 Rear Lower Shock Bushing, use the sleeved bushings, the others can be used in place of 8903 up front.

This bushing will work fine for someone using EF coilovers or shocks but to use it on any suspension setup designed for the 3gee, you'll need to grind down the sleeve and dowel but the bushing will fit into the hole just fine.

8312 Stock Rear lower control arms, you MUST leave the original sleeve in place and deburr a rolled lip inside with a burr bit or carbide dremel bit. Information provided by Rendon-LXi

Image provided by Rendon-LXi

To get your old bushings out, your best bet would be a press but not everyone has access to one so I drilled out the rubber enough to get a sawzall blade in there to cut the metal sleeve in two places because that sleeve fits in so tightly. Make sure to clean everything really well and grease the new bushings inside and out as well as the bores for the bushings on the arms. Reassembly with the prothane bushings is a breeze.
    Last edited by Susanoo; 08-30-2015 at 07:12 PM.
    1989 Accord DX converted to EFI and OBD1 on P06 Ecu using Hondarulez RTP
    Blaster 2 Coil, Pacesetter Headers, 4G Injectors, 4G Alternator, Skunk 2 B18 ITM, Skunk 2 68mm TB, Delta 272, Xenocron 255 FP, wire tuck, fuse box and battery relocation.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Polyurethane Suspension Bushing List and Install Tips

Honda Accord 1988 | Prothane Suspension Parts

Quick way to update the pictures. No clue if these parts fit well or not.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

God, not that you've updated this I am butt hurt I did not get some of these bushings in poly... guess I have to go back through and order some more.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 4dr

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

No not really, I used only the strut rod bushings and front sway bar bushings out of that kit. The front control arm bushings are very difficult or uninstall and install (buy new control arms) and the rear control arm bushings aren't even for the car (you're pretty much fucked here, parts availability is slim)
    The parts in that kit are the same in this post, but I do not recommend buying any more than the 81201 and 8401

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    No not really, I used only the strut rod bushings and front sway bar bushings out of that kit. The front control arm bushings are very difficult or uninstall and install (buy new control arms) and the rear control arm bushings aren't even for the car (you're pretty much fucked here, parts availability is slim)
    The parts in that kit are the same in this post, but I do not recommend buying any more than the 81201 and 8401
    Thanks for the update!
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

This is the same kit everyone else is talking about. I suggest you read about 3 posts before this.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

ShiRen - are you saying that the kit they sell mostly doesn't fit at all or its just difficult to get the old pressed bushings out. I'm asking because last year i replaced all my original 33 year old bushings front and year with "new" Moog bushings and the new ones are now more cracked and sagging than the originals ever where, so i want to convert to all poly bushings.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

They are very hard to get out, but if the bushings are old it might be a lot easier. The poly bushings looked like they fit.