Thread: How to build your own Noid Light.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

How to build your own Noid Light.

There's an amazing tool that tends to get overlooked alot for troubleshooting Fuel Injectors. Do you really know if that injector you think is fried, IS in fact, fried? It could be similar to an issue i had previously(Where the injector pigtail somehow started to lose contact with the injector prongs.(No clue how, but lightly bending the prongs on the injector with the tip of a pen did the trick for me.) Noid lights simply plug into the Injector pigtail and light up everytime the Injector fires verifying if you have voltage pulses going to your injector. They're also good as a test light for other things at times like relays, wiring harness plugs, etc.

Here's more info:How to check fuel injector pulse using a noid light | Engine Misfire

I'm going to teach you how to make your own out of stuff you probably have just laying around your garage or car.

You'll need:
    1-P194 Incandescent Bulb(OR a P194 LED bulb will work even better).

2-Medium paper clips(OR 1 P194 Light socket with wiring).

1-Soldering Gun and a small amount of solder.

I'll explain both methods with/without bulb socket.

Method 1-With socket:

Step 1-Take your P194 Bulb socket and strip approximately 1/4 inch/6.5MM off both wires at the ends. Twist each end so the wiring doesn't want to bend individually in every direction.

Step 2-Plug in your soldering iron. After it's heated up, add some solder to the twisted ends so the wiring won't unravel and short whatever your testing out.(Though, this step is considered optional, I think it's a must!)

Step 3-Install your bulb into the socket, and you're ready to test away. Should look just like this:

IIRC, The Red wire with the black stripe is your (+), Though that will only matter if using an LED for an indicator light.
    Last edited by firefighterwhite89; 12-11-2014 at 03:14 AM.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Re: How to build your own Noid Light.

The other way to make a DIY Noid light(w/o a bulb socket):

You'll need:
    1-P194 bulb(LED bulb will also work.)

2-Medium Paperclips

1-Solder iron/Solder

Step 1-Take your bulb and bend the metal tabs on the bottom downward, facing away from the bulb.

Step 2-Depending on how long you really need your test points, you can cut one paperclip in half or use both. Either way, get how ever many you are using and bend them as straight as possible.

Step 3--Plug in your soldering iron. While you're waiting on it to heat up, put the paper clip to where an end is into each of the bent bulb wires. The bulb wires should be looped. The paperclip needs to be situated between the wire loop for structural reasons.
    Step 4-Solder each paperclip to the bulbs terminals. Make sure each side of the loop is soldered to the paperclip.

Now you're done. Test away!
    On a side note, most auto parts places have Noid lights you can rent or buy around approximately $20-40 depending on geographical location. If you can't make it to the parts store though, are in a pinch for cash or feel like making your own, here ya go.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"