Thread: Question on heads

DX User
    Vehicle
    1976 Datsun 280Z 2+2

Question on heads

Is the cylinder head on an 89 LXi A20A3 an interference or non-interference head? In other words if the timing belt breaks will the valves contact the pistons and either bend or break the valves? Thanks in advance.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LXi Coupe w/Sunroof
    they will break
    ACT Stage 1, Short Ram Intake & 2.25 Dynomax custom catback w/4inch carbon fiber tip. Thats it for now.

Putting the paint back on after

SOMEONE STOLE MY PAINT!!!!!

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    yes they will !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

DX User
    Vehicle
    1976 Datsun 280Z 2+2
    I thought they might. Some manufacturers make a non-interference head, where I think the cam and the valves free wheel and do not continue their normal rotation when the timing belt breaks. This prevents damage to the valves. Unfortunalty this are kinda rare. I think Toyota makes non-interference heads. I was kinda hoping Honda did the same. I'm puting a new head gasket on my brothers car and I am trying to avoid putting on a new timing belt, as the one on there now looks fairly recent. However, should it break I'm looking at new valves and head work so I'll just go ahead and change it. Dammit!

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LX
    I have an '89 Accord LX 5 sp...I blew a timing belt going 75 mph on the highway...I do not think that mine damaged (broke) valves or I would not be drinving it too much...I did however develop a smoke at the startup wich is prolly due to worn valve seals. I honestly can't remember if this developed before or after the timing belt mishap...I have just recently been a concientious car owner...perhaps too late for that though.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1976 Datsun 280Z 2+2
    So the belt broke while driving and did not damages the valves? Did you pull the head at the same time you replaced the belt? Or did you just replace the Timing belt?

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LX
    The timing belt was replaced by a mechanic who towed me 60 miles...I'm not sure what he did...but it cost 400 altogether with towing and parts and labor...I'm sure that he just replaced the belt. This has been 1 yr ago...have put about 12k miles on it since...

DX User
    Vehicle
    1976 Datsun 280Z 2+2
    Hmmmm, Thanks.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord Lx - automatic-carb
    There are rare cases where interference motors loose their timing belt without damaging the valves. Again, it's rare, but it does happen.

It's all about what was where when the rubber band snapped.
    Lester

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX(x3)87LX(x1)86LXi(x1)

I survived belt breakage

on my 87 lx..$400 is about right for a shop repair and tow.

I was going about 65 when it broke ( actually teeth strip out) and I even cranked the engine a couple of turns after ai got to the side of the road..just to hear if it was the belt..it's a sad sound for sure.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LX
    Most definitelly...I was on the side and cranked it about 4-5 time...just that noxious whirring of nothing moving...I flagged down an off duty state trooper and he let me use his phone...I think I may have stripped the teeth as well...who knows for sure...I used to be one of those gas and go guys...I'm trying to change...but as for the condition now...see some of my other posts...I"m in a bind and would like some feedback...I don't really know that much about cars in general but am learning so much about them here at 3 geez...this is an awesome board!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LXi Coupe w/Sunroof
    Originally posted by dirty89lx5sp
    Most definitelly...I was on the side and cranked it about 4-5 time...just that noxious whirring of nothing moving...I flagged down an off duty state trooper and he let me use his phone...I think I may have stripped the teeth as well...who knows for sure...I used to be one of those gas and go guys...I'm trying to change...but as for the condition now...see some of my other posts...I"m in a bind and would like some feedback...I don't really know that much about cars in general but am learning so much about them here at 3 geez...this is an awesome board!
    well you have to start somewhere. welcome
    ACT Stage 1, Short Ram Intake & 2.25 Dynomax custom catback w/4inch carbon fiber tip. Thats it for now.

Putting the paint back on after

SOMEONE STOLE MY PAINT!!!!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LX
    Yeah...no kidding...if someone would just reply to my other thread...I would be pleased! oill light.....heater.....anyone?!>

Vehicle
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 87 Hybrid Civic, 76 Chevy Blazer, 2000 Jetta, 1985 Civic sedan
    There are rare cases where interference motors loose their timing belt without damaging the valves. Again, it's rare, but it does happen.
    There are like 4 positions that the cam can be in with in 1 degree and none of the valves will be sticking down far enough to get slapped by a piston.
    "AAHHH Teamsters, If only I could be as lazy and surley as a Teamster." Quote by Homer Simpson