Thread: strut bars

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 4Dr Accord LX-Burgandy

strut bars

Anyone make their own? They don't look very complicated in the pictures. The only purpose is to connect the two strut towers and thus reduce the flex. Pipe, a couple of plates, a drill press, a welder and a rattle can?

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX
    Strut Bars aren't that expensive to get in the first place.
    Why make one when they are pretty cheap to begin with?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe

Re: strut bars

Originally posted by oldsub86
    Anyone make their own? They don't look very complicated in the pictures. The only purpose is to connect the two strut towers and thus reduce the flex. Pipe, a couple of plates, a drill press, a welder and a rattle can?
    Okie. What kind of pipe? What is the strength of the pipe? How much strength do you need? Which part of the pipe do you need the most strength? How much can the pipe flex?
    Pictures say one thing. But does it actually work, that is another thing. If it works, go for it.

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    People make their own because companys don't make them for the DX or LX versions. Because there's a big airbox in the way. I'm in the process of making mine once my intake arrives. Even with the small air cleaner that comes with the Weber 32/36, it still in the way of the strut towers.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 4Dr Accord LX-Burgandy
    I don't think we are dealing with rocket science here. Basically you need a link between the two strut towers that will clear the hood and various stuff under the hood. If you look at photos of old Mustangs etc in mags you will often see a bar that also attaches to the firewall so it is a 3 point connection. I assume the hard part will be to make something that looks good.

Vehicle
    I am going to try to make a strut bar that goes something like this
    ______
    >-------I I-------<

Wow that has to be the crappiest picture ever. Where the I's are it won't be straight up it will be at an angle. It will indent a little bit so it will be able to clear the carb. I don't know if this drawing will work if you have an air intake on. I guess I'll see when I get mine on Tuesday or Wednesday. I talked with one of the guys from Weber and he said with the Weber intake the clearance will be a lot lower. (more room between hood and carb) So maybe if there's enough clearance I could have a strut bar just go staight across the engine without having that indent. My dad is going to teach me how to weld. Do you guys have any suggestions on what kind of piping to use? (Alluminum or steel?) I think they use alluminum for strut bars but I'm not sure. Whoa I just had a sweet ass idea, I could use my titanium lacrosse stick to make a strut bar. (it's 6' long) I have 2 lacrosse sticks too. Maybe I could make a few if it works out good. I'm sure titanium would be a lot better and a lot stronger than alluminum. If it works I might start to make a bunch of them. It would only be for people that have a Weber or an air intake though. Stock air box would get in the way of either design.

Vehicle
    That picture is way off from how I typed it. The line above the I's is supposed to be right on top of them. And the I's are supposed to be farther apart. I think you get the big picture though.

Vehicle
    '93 Integra
    im going to make a strut bar that looks a little... something like this....

|---- ,,|, (X^X) ,|,, ----|

Vehicle
    I'm wondering if I have the intake on and there's enough clearance maybe I could just get a Lx-i strut bar and use that. I assume that the struts are in the same place and same distance apart.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    the easiest way to do it is to run back to the same idea used. Its gonna look like the strut bars found on the 2nd gen corolla gts and trueno and corolla 11. i think even the mr2 front tower bars were like that. They basically angle inward from the strur towers and their center gets bolted down by just two 10mm or if u want 12mm bolts on the fire wall.

Vehicle
    I still think I might try what I thought up. I'll probably change my idea about a dozen times before I actually start doing it.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LXi and '94 Ford Ranger

no big deal

here is my rear strut brace that I made, it is a combination of 2, the brackets are for a 90-93 accord rear, but I had to cut a V in them and bend them closer and weld them back up, the bar is from the front of a 92-95 civic. I spent about $35 altogether for both braces.

Vehicle
    89 EX-i, 91 Civic dx, 88 Civic dx
    Hey oldsub86 where in Winnipeg are you from?
    - Drive it like a Rental!
    My 89 Ex-i on Car Domain

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    hey puddle, nice work dude, what kinda amp do u have to push those 3 12???

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LXi and '94 Ford Ranger

Thanks, they are 10's and it is a Sony XM-2252HX bridged to 600w RMS x1, 1400w x1 peak.