Thread: Watsons streetworks LED headlights

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Watsons streetworks LED headlights

I thought I would pass this one on, I've heard a lot about these lights, they came out with a DOT approved set of direct replacement lights that will fit our cars, these have both a low beam and high beam, and are supposed to be a huge safety upgrade, they won awards for these lights. They cut the power consumption of the factory lights by about half, which is good for the switch, LED Headlights

3Geez Veteran

Re: Watsons streetworks LED headlights

LED's are so last decade. Lasers are where its at.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Lol
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

considering that no one makes a proper HID with a direct fit for the rectangular headlights, this is a pretty good upgrade, it's getting hard to even find sealed beam bulbs

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

could buy a crap load of good xenon bulbs for that money.
    costs maybe $100 nzd to put 4x 6000k xenon bulbs in my wifes sp20 familia. and that was bout 4 years ago.
    i can buy an HID hi/low beam HID retro fit kit for bout 150 bucks. takes bout half hour to fit.
    And sealed beams? may as well use a couple zippo lighters
    Last edited by Hauntd ca3; 01-02-2015 at 12:40 AM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hauntd ca3 View Post
    could buy a crap load of good xenon bulbs for that money.
    costs maybe $100 nzd to put 4x 6000k xenon bulbs in my wifes sp20 familia. and that was bout 4 years ago.
    i can buy an HID hi/low beam HID retro fit kit for bout 150 bucks. takes bout half hour to fit.
    the issue with putting a conversion kit in a regular light housing is the optics aren't right, thats a well known issue, a housing designed for an incandescent type bulb is not designed for an HID bulb, this is the best writeup I've ever seen on it, Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I'm probably going to go with H4 conversions on mine, but I found this kit the other day, and it's the first one I've seen thats also legal, the E code Hella H4 housings are also excellent, much better beam cutoff then regular H4 and you can run 90/100 watt bulbs without blinding other drivers
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 01-02-2015 at 07:22 AM.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

Yeah, i know they are crap and the beam is all over the show. i hate HID retro fits for that reason , and the fact that they are illegal over here for road use.

An H4 semi sealed beam housing isnt particularly expensive , even for good hella ones, those autopal ones i wouldnt touch. I've used them before and they just arnt as nice as what you get with the hella for the few extra
    buck a light.
    Wouldnt run 100/90 watt bulbs without doing it all through relays due to the added current draw involved.
    I've done it before and ended up melting plugs and stuffing switches.
    Good quality phillips or hella bulbs with a blue envelope will give you dam near HID bulb whiteness while staying with a 60/55 watt draw.
    thats what i put in my wifes car.
    still a traditional looking bulb , just with a blue envelope and they are xenon/halogen filled instead of iodine or bromine / halogen.
    i had some in my old CD6 accord, put them in 8 years ago and they are still going.

Vehicle

Yeah, i know they are crap and the beam is all over the show. i hate HID retro fits for that reason , and the fact that they are illegal over here for road use.

An H4 semi sealed beam housing isnt particularly expensive , even for good hella ones, those autopal ones i wouldnt touch. I've used them before and they just arnt as nice as what you get with the hella for the few extra
    buck a light.
    Wouldnt run 100/90 watt bulbs without doing it all through relays due to the added current draw involved.
    I've done it before and ended up melting plugs and stuffing switches.
    Good quality phillips or hella bulbs with a blue envelope will give you dam near HID bulb whiteness while staying with a 60/55 watt draw.
    thats what i put in my wifes car.
    still a traditional looking bulb , just with a blue envelope and they are xenon/halogen filled instead of iodine or bromine / halogen.
    i had some in my old CD6 accord, put them in 8 years ago and they are still going.
    I already have relay boxes for the headlights to solve the current issues, I'm trying to take all the load I can off the switch anyway, as they are getting impossible to find. So I can pretty much run anything as far as wattage

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

That LED kit kindof looks like Ebay LED H4 bulbs paired with AutoPal conversion housings. I am not so sure they are going to have optimal optical light output. Well, probably not much better than HID conversion kits. New CREE 48W 6000K Car LED Headlight Kit H4 Hi Lo DRL Lamp Bulb | eBay

If you look closely at the heat sink you can see they're trying to solve the heat dissipation issue with a mini electric fan, which has early failure written all over it.

I've seen a few different generations of H4 LED lights and my opinion is that the LED element needed to properly power an H4 design will create too much heat to be dissipated by the small heat sink placed on the back of the H4. I think the only sustainable LED H6054 design will be an all-in-one integrated unit.

I'm holding out for the Truck-Lite products to drop in price. Those make me salivate
    Last edited by niles; 01-02-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Adding Ebay link

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'm a big fan of sealed beams. I just swapped the truck lights out for sealed beams I scavenged off a wrecked truck. They work reliably. They last a long time and they don't turn yellow. You buy an $18 bulb every 10 years, adjust them one time and drive happy. Admittedly, they won't cast noonday light onto a dark forest, or vanquish the undead, but they produce a consistent and even illumination of everything. Once your eyes adjust, you can see a great deal more than with all the new lights that have artificial cutoffs to keep from blinding other drivers.

My BMW had some wonder lights in it. To keep from blinding other drivers, they cut off well below street sign height. Driving in the country, I literally couldn't see a thing with them until I switched on the high beams. Then no one else on the road could see anything. They were a nuisance.

If you want to convert, that's great, but don't hate on my sealed beams, bro!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by niles View Post
    That LED kit kindof looks like Ebay LED H4 bulbs paired with AutoPal conversion housings. I am not so sure they are going to have optimal optical light output. Well, probably not much better than HID conversion kits. New CREE 48W 6000K Car LED Headlight Kit H4 Hi Lo DRL Lamp Bulb | eBay

If you look closely at the heat sink you can see they're trying to solve the heat dissipation issue with a mini electric fan, which has early failure written all over it.

I've seen a few different generations of H4 LED lights and my opinion is that the LED element needed to properly power an H4 design will create too much heat to be dissipated by the small heat sink placed on the back of the H4. I think the only sustainable LED H6054 design will be an all-in-one integrated unit.

I'm holding out for the Truck-Lite products to drop in price. Those make me salivate
    they won an award for these lights, so I don't think they are cheap, not sure on the cooling, but they are popular with hot rodders, I'm probably going to just go with the Hella E spec conversion housings
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 01-02-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

I'm sure the specs are good, and that particular style of led is the best I've seen so far. Been thinking about getting a pair myself, especially since I already use autopal housings lol

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

it would be a nice upgrade but il wait till the prices drop down. i remember when LED lights came out they were in the hundereds

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

I'd get the GE/Trucklite setup

Truck-Lite - Catalog Product : 5'' x 7'' Rectangular LED Headlamp, Complex Reflector Optics

I bought one for my motorcycle.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

^^^ okay so i want a set of those.....

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by carotman View Post
    I'd get the GE/Trucklite setup

Truck-Lite - Catalog Product : 5'' x 7'' Rectangular LED Headlamp, Complex Reflector Optics

I bought one for my motorcycle.
    Whoops guess I was a little late! seeing this.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!