Thread: will centering rings be necessary with new wheels?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i coupe; 91 Accord LX sedan

will centering rings be necessary with new wheels?

I've been planning to buy new wheels but haven't actually bought any yet. I have become aware that I might need centering rings - something I have not experienced before - to precisely center the wheels when mounting. As I understand it, the need for them arises when the hole in aftermarket wheels is greater than the hole on OEM wheels.

How are these rings managed when rotating wheels? Are they normally pulled off and put back on, same as the wheels? How cumbersome are they to work with?
    1988 Accord LX-i 2-door coupe, 205K miles, updated 1/4/18.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: will centering rings be necessary with new wheels?

What typically happens is that they stay in the wheel. Unless they stay on the hub. Or they might simply fall out on the ground while you're removing the wheel. Best of all, they might slightly unseat in the wheel and then wedge themselves while you're re-installing the wheel. I had plastic centering rings that got thrown in the deal for free and wasn't impressed. They diminished the terrifying, clown-car wobbles, but not totally. I ended up sending the wheels back and contesting the charge through Visa. It was a bad deal all around. I had some other stuff going on with the suspension though, so my results may not be typical. All in all, I'd rather buy wheels that fit. Just me though.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

They're usually mounted on the hub but I've seen cases where they're stuck on the wheels real good when you removed the wheel - which isn't an issue if they're all stuck on the wheels and not just the rear or the front making wheel rotation a little bit harder. But they're worth the trouble honestly. I always had this weird vibration at speed that won't go away with balancing/rotating and my suspension is in good order. Installing them had eliminated the vibration altogether.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

LXi User
    Vehicle

Thanks for the replies; they are helpful. Yesterday, called TireRack.com to discuss the centering rings. The guy I talked to said many wheels require the centering rings, so I'm not optimistic about being able to avoid them. He did say that if I ordered by phone rather than online, they could tell me whether the wheel I was about to order needs the rings. But, most likely, I suspect I'll have to accept using centering rings and learn to work with them.

One wheel I had looked at and was interested in had a note, on the page displaying it, saying the center caps that come with the wheels cannot be used if centering rings are used. That was disappointing. I guess I'll avoid the wheel.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

X2 on what snooz and hazwan said. I myself was skeptical about using the center rings when i went with my C1's come designs have a snap ring that holds them in place others just float there. In my experience make sure the outer diameter of the rotor's hub seat is clean and free of rust, I lightly coat this with a little bit of anti seize to help prevent the ring getting stuck on the rotor. Take a little extra time and make sure that the rim seats flush with the rotor. So you don't really have to be very concerned with this. As far as the center caps go, i would have them just to keep the corrosion down on the 32mm axle /spindle nuts.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I don't see how the caps would interfere with the centering rings. Every wheel/centering ring design I've seen doesn't really have issues with them

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    I don't see how the caps would interfere with the centering rings. Every wheel/centering ring design I've seen doesn't really have issues with them
    my C1's they just kinda clip on

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

LXi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand it either. I think I"ll call the TireRack.com to ask about this. The exact wording on the website for this particular wheel is "Rings must not be used with centercap installed."

If I get some specific info on this from them, I'll post it here.

LXi User
    Vehicle

An update on this: I bought a different wheel than the one that was the subject of this topic. So, I never found out why the seller's website said that the center cap could not be used on that wheel if centering rings were used.

When I received the wheels I bought, via UPS, I was pleased to see that the centering rings were pre-inserted/installed in the wheels. The rings seemed to be snapped into place; they would not slide out if I simply tugged on them. I hope they stay on the wheels when I rotate wheels.