Thread: To oversize, or not to oversize (wheels & tires), that is the question.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i coupe; 91 Accord LX sedan

To oversize, or not to oversize (wheels & tires), that is the question.

I know many 3rd gen owners go to a larger wheel size than the standard 14". I've given that some thought to that, perhaps going to 15", but that would increase the cost of the wheels and somewhat for tires, too. The tire size would change from 195/60R14 to 195/55R15, tread width (195) remaining the same but sidewall decreasing from 60 to 55, assuming a tire size for 15" wheels that would not distort speedometer reading. I'm not inclined to pay for the extra cost of a larger wheels and tires and to have a stiffer riding tire.

I presume the main reason going to larger-than-OEM sizes is mainly to achieve more responsive handling in hard cornering when driving. And, perhaps a different appearance is often a factor. If you did this, what's your reason for doing it? Are you glad you did it?
    1988 Accord LX-i 2-door coupe, 205K miles, updated 1/4/18.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Re: To oversize, or not to oversize (wheels & tires), that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by derolph View Post
    I know many 3rd gen owners go to a larger wheel size than the standard 14". I've given that some thought to that, perhaps going to 15", but that would increase the cost of the wheels and somewhat for tires, too. The tire size would change from 195/60R14 to 195/55R15, tread width (195) remaining the same but sidewall decreasing from 60 to 55, assuming a tire size for 15" wheels that would not distort speedometer reading. I'm not inclined to pay for the extra cost of a larger wheels and tires and to have a stiffer riding tire.

I presume the main reason going to larger-than-OEM sizes is mainly to achieve more responsive handling in hard cornering when driving. And, perhaps a different appearance is often a factor. If you did this, what's your reason for doing it? Are you glad you did it?
    Exactly, I went to the 15 x 8" rims after I had my SEI's iirc are 14" x 5.5". Noticeable improvement during cornering. I went to the 15" rim due to the selection of tires, 14" is starting to get limited

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

A larger wheel will allow for bigger brakes, but aesthetics is usually the driving factor. Some things to consider with larger wheels are weight and strength. Larger wheels will generally be heavier, lowering mileage. Also, with a sidewall much less than 50, you will want to be vigilant about dodging potholes if you don't want to bend a lot of wheels.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I went with 15" rims mostly for the tire selection at the time in 200 tread wear tires. I also run 11" brakes and 15" is the min. size for them in Hondas.

205/50/15 overall size you will barely notice the height difference and after a few months it wont be a thought at all.

I'd like to goto 17" but then its hard to find a size that is not too big overall on a stock geared car. Plus adding larger brakes etc Ill get wrapped up in some money pretty quick.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

LXi User
    Vehicle

I decided to stay with 14" wheels and tires. I got them from TireRack.com. They had nine 14" tires available. I chose the General Altimax RT43.

The wheels and tires were shipped to me with tires mounted on the wheels and the wheels balanced. Centering rings were also pre-inserted in the wheels. I merely removed my old wheels and put the new ones on. Well, actually, I did more than that; mainly, I cleaned some rust from the wheel hubs before mounting the new wheels.
    Last edited by derolph; 01-31-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

For fuel economy 14 inch is the best. The reason to upgrade to a 15 inch rim is because the tires are a bit more sporty. Im running 15x7 rims with 205-50-15 tires.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Went with 15x7 with 1 inch spacer for looks. Fuel economy is noticeably a little worse, but the look is worth it imo

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

IMO if the overall diameter and width of the whole tire wheel combo isnt much different than a LXI 14 " then there won't be that much difference in fuel economy. What I see in the pic is rear castor and camber is so far out there is no way that car is tracking streight, one or two wheels of the four will dominate the direction of force, in this case probably the one drive tire, and the rest will follow it down the road dragging or pushing against "it's will". Spacers amplify the alignment problem. When the center of weight or road force on each spring assy too far out of designed range of the suspension, handling suffers drasticly as well. This is purely for appearence I get it, if it was bagged or adjustable drops for town cruisin....the roof rack is way too high which kinda looks strange to me but the worse thing is the amount of air it's going to catch, I imagine the whole car jumping lanes on its own when it gets behind an 18 wheeler going 70 mph.
    IMO the width of a tire and grade type of rubber its made of, adversly affects mpg more so than diameter.
    It looks good man, sorry if I sound over critical. The roof rack is just high and unlevel, the rack's front air diffuser should be just above the windshield and the rack overall shouldn't be tilted down in the back. It's a nice rack
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 03-29-2015 at 11:11 AM.

It's level in person but i will admit it does catch some air, not too much but again all those are noticeable, what you're saying makes sense

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    86 Accord DX four-door sedan

I went from 185/70R13 to 185/65R14 on my 86 DX. Wanted to run 15's for "looks" but $100 for a set of ready to go, with 90% tread... 14's it is. Now just need some alloy rims

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

all the accords i have owned have had speedos that over read so ive gone up a size on both of my cars i have 185/70R14 (14X5.5) on one accord and 205/55r15 (15X7) on the other. Less wheel gap, less engine RPM for the speed im doing, accurate speedo and better handling

LXi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndTimeHondaOwner View Post
    I went from 185/70R13 to 185/65R14 on my 86 DX. Wanted to run 15's for "looks" but $100 for a set of ready to go, with 90% tread... 14's it is. Now just need some alloy rims
    I went with the Sport Tuning T10 wheels sold by tirerack.com, along with a set of General tires. I am quite pleased with the look of the wheels. Will try to post a pick soon; today is a rainy day here so I probably won't do that today. The website will show rendering of a car with the wheels on it; click on "View on Vehicle". They also have a few photos of cars with this wheel on them, photos submitted by buyers. Two other wheels by Sport Tuning were also very interesting to me: the T8 and T9.
    Last edited by derolph; 04-03-2015 at 06:55 AM.

Vehicle

Really digging the T9's Just enough flash to say hello but not be all up in your face. I'll have to see if they come in flat black, would like them even better

LXi User
    Vehicle

Here's a photo of my Accord with the new wheels:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My88Accord1.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	6871  

Vehicle

Them rims look very nice on your car

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX - Carbeurated 2.0L Auto

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    all the accords i have owned have had speedos that over read so ive gone up a size on both of my cars i have 185/70R14 (14X5.5) on one accord and 205/55r15 (15X7) on the other. Less wheel gap, less engine RPM for the speed im doing, accurate speedo and better handling
    Interesting, mine over reads as well with bone stock tires 185/70R13. I've gotten to the point where I don't even notice it, and when I'm going down the road with the speedo at 120 I know I'm really only going just under 110..

LXi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by gyates93 View Post
    Interesting, mine over reads as well with bone stock tires 185/70R13. I've gotten to the point where I don't even notice it, and when I'm going down the road with the speedo at 120 I know I'm really only going just under 110..
    The standard tire size on '88 Accord coupes is 195/60R/14, which is what I've always had on my car and with no speedometer reading issues. Was the standard different for LX sedans?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX - Carbeurated 2.0L Auto

Quote Originally Posted by derolph View Post
    The standard tire size on '88 Accord coupes is 195/60R/14, which is what I've always had on my car and with no speedometer reading issues. Was the standard different for LX sedans?
    Canadian LX is American DX and the stock tires are 185/70R13.

The other trim levels in Canada are EX-I and SE-I.

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

I've got an LXi that's also on average 5MPH ahead on the speedo. I'm thinking the 185/70/R13 snow tires on it now are not the original wheels (steelies) and the last owner forgot to give me/didn't have the original 14" Alloys. In any case, I'm looking to go with these (15x7) TRMotorsport C1 Light Grey Painted

With 195/60/R15's on them, I'll be "oversized" compared to the 13" rims, but not enough to completely correct the speedo reading (according to rimsntires.com), however it'll be less off so I'm satisfied. It'd be closer with 195/65's but that's a little big (maybe I dunno)

I'm oversizing for handling, looks, speedo accuracy, looks, and looks.