Thread: Curiosity

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Curiosity

I'm thinking about switching the wiring on my front bumper turn signals. Thinking about wiring it in with the parking lights wiring closest to the doors. The bulbs in the front bumper are Cree 9W MR16 LEDs built into 1156 bulb housings. They're very bright compared to the stock filament 1156 bulbs, and i'm running clear turn signal lenses. I think it would look good, but have never seen any 3geez with their front bumper signals wired this way. Anyone done this and have a pic i can gander at?
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

Vehicle

Re: Curiosity

Here's a link to them in the Honda flashing at night. You can see the intensity. Only downfall would be blinding oncoming traffic. I'd have to see how it is by testing. Would really like to see how the front signals look like lit like parking lights.

1986 Honda Accord 9W Cree MR16 LED front turn signals - YouTube
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I think CAH had a car done that way. I would like to do one of mine that way using those Nisn Pathfinder Fogs that fit the hole wonderfully.
    I would probably do it on the hatch with the facelift bumper on it rather than the blue car which I kinda like the amber lenses but using 1157 or 3157 sockets so they are turn and running lights. Problem lurking would be fooling the meseage centet into not thinking a bulb was out. There havr been a few members that theorized a workaround for that by using resistors of different values. Using LED though, those are low amperage electronics and not engineered shorts like filament bulbs.
    Maybe reverse engineering some aftermarket LED truck lights to see how they're not underloading electronic flash or light control modules to the point of failure ....would be helpfull?

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by 2oodoor View Post
    I think CAH had a car done that way. I would like to do one of mine that way using those Nisn Pathfinder Fogs that fit the hole wonderfully.
    I would probably do it on the hatch with the facelift bumper on it rather than the blue car which I kinda like the amber lenses but using 1157 or 3157 sockets so they are turn and running lights. Problem lurking would be fooling the meseage centet into not thinking a bulb was out. There havr been a few members that theorized a workaround for that by using resistors of different values. Using LED though, those are low amperage electronics and not engineered shorts like filament bulbs.
    Maybe reverse engineering some aftermarket LED truck lights to see how they're not underloading electronic flash or light control modules to the point of failure ....would be helpfull?
    There's load resistor for that but I personally don't like them as it defeats the purpose of running lower wattage load anyway. But you could use an actual LED turn signal relay so it would flash normally.

Probably not gonna help with modern cars (read: Germans) with their OMG LIGHT BULB FAILURE warning(s)

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

Most of the "Canbus" bulbs I have seen use an integrated load resistor too.

Vehicle

All good points gents. I've already had literally every light on the car except the headlights changed out to LEDs, including the flasher relay. By doing so though, could undervoltage actually hurt the Signal Lighting Module that controls the Parking/Turn signals?
    I'd wouldn't think that would hurt a thing...

Haz-----You're spot on with the load resistors. They work and do their job, but i'm not after LEDs just for looks...I'm attempting to shave as much heavy voltage consumption as possible. For the price of 1 load resistor, you could buy 1 LED flasher relay to fix your issue on spot even better. Why waste time, money or splice into OEM wiring if you don't have to?

On a side note...I'm eyeballing some LED headlights that are a direct drop in from Both JW Speaker and Truck-Lite. Looking at reviews, I'm thinking Truck-Lites' are they way to go. They're $219 each vs JWs' $385 each.
    Last edited by firefighterwhite89; 02-13-2015 at 12:15 AM.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I